Finding torrent clients compatible with one's choice of a VPN (virt private network)
For years, I've been using uTorrent client (on Windows), and have NOT been using a VPN.  Most all of
my torrenting needs are for videos on thePirateBay.  Lately, my ISP has been sending me emails
regarding DMCA violations (which I'm not terribly worried about, as I've read that ISPs rarely
follow up, for relatively infrequent downloaders.  But, my wife is becoming concerned when she
sees such emails...worried that Comcast/Xfinity might move beyond just the email warnings.)

However, the choice of a 'suitable/compatible' VPN appears to be somewhat of a DAUNTING task.

I am NOT willing to pay for a VPN.  Also, from what I've read so far, 'associating' one's VPN choice with one's
torrent-client choice seems a bit complex.

Specifically, if I could find a VPN that would hide my IP-address for ALL Internet traffic (rather than having
to associate the VPN with the process/program one is using for their torrent-client), that would seem to
simply things, right?  (In that regard, I've heard that "OpenVPN" might be a good choice, since it claims
to be 'system-wide'!?!?)

Since I'm willing to move from uTorrent to some other torrent-client, maybe there is a good combination
of a VPN choice and a new torrent-client choice, that are particularly well-suited to each other?

(I'm even willing to move my torrenting work, from my current Window-10 laptop, to my alternate laptop,
which is a Chromebook.  Maybe there are more choices of free VPNs and more modern
torrent-clients for that platform?)

All ideas welcome...please explain a bit the whys and wherefors for whatever programs you might recommend,
for a free VPN program and a torrent-client program.

TIA...  Sarasota Slim  Smile
The whole game changed a long time ago, there is no such thing as a free lunch anymore.  You can pay for a VPN and be safe and that's it, there is no point explaining really.  The whole thing has changed if you don't use a VPN then every single thing your ISP can watch what you're doing and you're totally exposed to everything, all your torrent habits.  Not going with a VPN really these days is highly dangerous and you risk getting into big trouble.  Get NordVPN or something like that, something good, stop living in the past and realise that everything has changed, the internet gets more dangerous day after day.
Just as I feared.  My gut was telling me that everything you're saying is indeed the case.  I just didn't want
to hear it.   Shy

Many thanks, Rodney, for bringing this old guy (76 years and counting), up to speed on the state of torrenting things that
are DMCA related.  Cool

Cheers...
Please understand mate and I just be honest with you at this point in time there's a lot of anger that people have in regards to the torrent scene and they will do a lot of things they don't like the look of.  The laws have changed dramatically over the years.  They want rid of it but if everybody use VPN they can't hack into us and see what's going on.  The best way is to protect yourself completely, also block all Windows 10 telemetry also, get some software that will do that which doesn't leak and feed information to Microsoft.  Make sure you read all your VPN advice.  Make sure that other programs that you use like Anti Virus aren't leaking all your browsing habits.  Do some leak tests once you're up and running with VPN.  For a VPN get a good deal, pay for a year it's much cheaper.  Do the research and do all the reading.  Learn how to avoid getting into bother, the rules and laws are really tough now so you don't want to get some nasty letter in the post one day, they really have a way with words it's their fancy lawyer people they write all this to frighten the life out of you and with a lot of people it works.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/34...s-act.html
>>>...they really have a way with words it's their fancy lawyer people they write all this 
>>>to frighten the life out of you and with a lot of people it works.

Well said...I'm with you totally on this.

Thanks again for posting to this thread.  Smile  Smile  Smile
Ok, to answer my own question from the base page:  I HAVE found a pair (i.e. a torrent client and a VPN) that just
might meet my criteria.  (I'm testing/playing with them...some tests will reveal whether they are, in fact, useable, as
I had envisioned.)  Today, I got them both running, and did my first torrent-download from thePirateBay with JSTorrent.
So far, so good.

The torrent client is named "JSTorrent"...it is almost free.  It has a one-time cost of $2.95, for the 'full' edition.
The VPN software is named "Browsec", and is free.  (An alert:  It originates from the Ukraine.  That is potentially
a big red flag, so be careful...I plan to be.)

Both apps are available in Chrome Web store.  And, both are 'Chrome extensions', designed to be run in the Chrome
browser.  (Note:  'extensions' can also run in other browsers, too.  But, for the present, I'm trying this pair in Chrome on
Windows-10.)

Stay tuned.  If anyone else decides to give these a whirl, feel free to report back your findings (good or bad), in a reply to this thread.

Cheers...
A few main things to consider for a VPN:

1. Make sure that they at least claim to not keep logs.
2. For best P2P results make sure that they permit Port Forwarding (useful, but not necessary).
3. They should have multiple servers in multpie countries. At least one in UK ofr BBC videos, for example.
4. 128 bit is fine for downloading, but for anything the Gestapo would be interested in, advise 256 bit encryption capabilities.
5. Make sure the server permits use of OpenVPN, as you may want to learn about it and use it as a primary client to connect to the VPN servers. It will also permit you to shut down all the 'extra' protocols, and VPN services in Services.msc, and potentially block M$ telmetry. It will certainly block a bunch of boogers from phoning home.

Other issues:

Block IPV6 by any and all means. It can leak easily. Google for methods.

Use TOR browser and google for instructions on how to make it recognize magnet links. Or manually add links to torrent client.

Use Qbittorrent, or the latest Vuze clone, or any which will allow you to bind to your TAP connection (TUN in Linux).
This will ensure that if the VPN server or software fails, that you are not exposed.

If you are going to use 'questionable sites' that the Gestapo does not like, at least add Psiphon to your arsenal, adding it after TOR Browser. Its a web proxy, so shouldnt affect P2P downloads, only sites that offer them.

If you use a real firewall, you may need to turn it off for the VPN, or else it may selectively block connections. In Win my PCTools FW will do this (I disable the M$ version). Torrenting will work with it on, albeit at much reduced speeds.

While most ISPs dont give a rats azz about pirating, that may change, especially if the chump loses in november and the Demonrats get in. They will revive the TTPIP and some other trade treaties and will bring EU style repression to the Net, so they *cannot* ignore the DMCA pink slips. Best to secure the system now, than later.

Ukraine is an ideal country for a VPN. They might be a CIA vassal state, but the spooks dont give a tinkers damn about the DMCA, as they are too busy with more important things, like shipping Afghan smack from Kiev to DC.
(Feb 17, 2020, 22:07 pm)SarasotaSlim Wrote: I've now spent a few more days using and testing my new-found pair of apps (i.e. FSTorrent client and the Browsec VPN
service.)

For becoming familiar with STARTING and STOPPING the 'Browsec VPN Service', create yourself a simple browser bookmark for this testing (e.g. whats-my-ipaddress) URL to practice and actually TEST that your VPN service is having the desired effect of CHANGING your PUBLIC IP-ADDRESS back and forth, from it's normal non-protected vendor-assigned IP-ADDRESS to a protected 'generic non-descript' IP-ADDRESS. To 'test', first manually turn ON your VPN, and then visit this testing URL and look at your Public (effective) IP-ADDRESS, and then go back and turn OFF the VPN-service. and again reload that test URL and you should see that your IP-ADDRESS is now different than before. This is just to demonstrate that it's not at all important to know WHAT your IP-ADDRESS normally is, but only that it is now DIFFERENT than before. (WARNING: I do NOT recommend that you actually USE any of the various clickable buttons on this test-page...they might totally MESS UP the workings of your Browsec VPN! This test URL bookmark is only for your educational understanding.)

I've also done torrent/magnet downloads from ThePirateBay, with this VPN enabled, over the last few days.  And, I now no longer am receiving emails from Comcast, warning me about downloading of copyrighted (DMCA-controlle) material.

Cheers... Cool

(Feb 25, 2020, 12:54 pm)SarasotaSlim Wrote:
(Feb 17, 2020, 22:07 pm)SarasotaSlim Wrote: I've now spent a few more days using and testing my new-found pair of apps (i.e. FSTorrent client and the Browsec VPN
service.)

For becoming familiar with STARTING and STOPPING the 'Browsec VPN Service', create yourself a simple browser bookmark for this testing (e.g. whats-my-ipaddress) URL to practice and actually TEST that your VPN service is having the desired effect of CHANGING your PUBLIC IP-ADDRESS back and forth, from it's normal non-protected vendor-assigned IP-ADDRESS to a protected 'generic non-descript' IP-ADDRESS. To 'test', first manually turn ON your VPN, and then visit this testing URL and look at your Public (effective) IP-ADDRESS, and then go back and turn OFF the VPN-service. and again reload that test URL and you should see that your IP-ADDRESS is now different than before. This is just to demonstrate that it's not at all important to know WHAT your IP-ADDRESS normally is, but only that it is now DIFFERENT than before. (WARNING: I do NOT recommend that you actually USE any of the various clickable buttons on this test-page...they might totally MESS UP the workings of your Browsec VPN! This test URL bookmark is only for your educational understanding.)

I've also done torrent/magnet downloads from ThePirateBay, with this VPN enabled, over the last few days.  And, I now no longer am receiving emails from Comcast, warning me about downloading of copyrighted (DMCA-controlled) material.

Cheers... Cool
'Browser VPN's' are basically worthless. Proxies for HTTP and HTTPS porrts. Like TOR Browser. P2P connections are unaffected.

You need to use something that will reroute ALL your communications ports as a new NETWORK CONNECTION. On Win you need a TAP driver.
Your software *may* provide this. It just doesnt sound like it.

VPNs are very secure, but they can be very dangerous if they are not properly understood.
The best way to learn about VPN is to get one and then use it for a while and learn all the advantages.  Then and only then will you realise all the mistakes you've made in the past and then you'll learn how you can stay more safe from its use.  Coming to a site like this if you start torrenting and things you can risk being hacked as there's plenty people about that could find you and start trying to break into your internet.  To come onto the torrent scene these days without a VPN is a great big risk as you don't know who might be messing around.  You can believe me I've been into different sites before and found all kinds of people that find a way to target and expose you and what you're downloading, it's not very nice really, some people do all this for fun just to get a kick.  There's people who can get into your system with ease and if you're not careful that could be you really.  VPN is just great really you can use Encryption and stay safe even on places like TPB cos really there could be anybody lurking around some hacker or anyone you don't know especially if you're seeding something.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still getting an error about the filesize of one torrent v010dya 0 844 Feb 01, 2024, 04:02 am
Last Post: v010dya
  Peter Sunde / Brokep recent interview "No one does tech for good " ProxyDuck 7 1,605 Jan 29, 2024, 19:34 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Would I be safe downloading this torrent without a vpn? Ladyanne3 12 2,660 Dec 31, 2023, 09:51 am
Last Post: CaptButler
  VPN flaw found WW3hasstarted 8 4,660 Aug 15, 2023, 02:14 am
Last Post: ggde24n
  forced VPN michaelrex1 3 4,928 Jun 28, 2023, 01:14 am
Last Post: RobertX