Fake torrent floods
Hi All,
Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of creating fake torrents floods? If you are trying to trick someone into downloading your torrent to infect them, surely trying to fly under the radar would be a better approach. With the way this is polluting the lists atm, what are peoples opinions on whether this is the movie houses attempt to making TPB too hard to use? Dodgy

Sorry. and is there a way to filter the fake posters?
The purpose is very simple: to make money.

I'm not going to explain in detail--no point educating wannabes or letting the existing fucklers know what we know--but it is not an exclusive tactic it is merely one part of a larger strategy.

I can tell you it is not the work of the movie houses.

And, no, there is no way to filter the fake posters.
Fair enough. Thx
Please excuse my ignorance. This is my first ever post regarding downloading a torrent. I am but a LOL (little ole lady from OZ ;-) ), so don't be too harsh on me.

I recently searched Vuze for "The Blacklist S03E17", it shows 4 results in all categories, with thousands of seeds and hundreds of peers. When I click on the details of the first result, I get the following information:
The Blacklist S03E17 2015 HDTV x264 - ASAP
Type:Video > HD - TV shows
Files:2
Size:304.1 MiB (318872234 Bytes)
Tag(s):The Blacklist S03E17 2015
Uploaded:2016-03-20 07:46:38 GMT
By:7ous7ous
Seeders:13745
Leechers:688
Comments:0
Info HashBig Grin70E8AF39FC907B356918D1C7EB30F0C58AFF217

My question is this, as this episode has not aired yet, what are all these people downloading? I know the icon in the "type" column of Vuze shows a book, but the details, by all intents seems like an episode. Is this what the previous post describes as a "fake torrent". I have come across the quite a number of times with TPB previously, but have never questioned it.

Many Thanks,
BEG

Get this torrent Stream It! Anonymous Download
They're downloading a fake. To check if a tv show has been aired, see this website:

http://epguides.com/

As you can see from epguides, episode 17 won't be broadcast until April.

Know what you are downloading beforehand, and see part 4 (TPB) of our FAQ - 'Finding Torrents.'

https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-FAQs-Fr...-Questions
(Mar 19, 2016, 01:03 am)shadowzone69 Wrote: Hi All,
Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of creating fake torrents floods? If you are trying to trick someone into downloading your torrent to infect them, surely trying to fly under the radar would be a better approach. With the way this is polluting the lists atm, what are peoples opinions on whether this is the movie houses attempt to making TPB too hard to use? Dodgy

Sorry. and is there a way to filter the fake posters?

The same Fakes are being posted on other torrent sites as well. The difference is they're being removed from TPB within hours after being reported while they'll remain listed for Days on some Sites and some other sites indefinitely 
When one of my favorite TV shows has just been aired, I find there are usually several entries for files of filetype ".wmv" that contain files that are fakes.

Is that what is meant by "fake torrent floods"? Or does the term "flood" simply mean that someone uploads a number of these fake files?

I'm guessing I don't need to post a link to one of them because it seems like they are always uploaded shortly after a popular TV show has been broadcast.

I can guess several ways how and why people might be able to make some money by doing this (even though it may be only a few pennies per download or partial download). But, is there any way that people who have been members here for a long time and are somewhat trusted could be given a tool to delete torrents that have been uploaded in which the largest file is of filetype ".WMV"? Or coule some other similar kind of tool be developed that could be given to a select number of people so they could quickly delete these fakes? I'm thinking of a tool that has a very limited application. It would only be able to do one thing and would only work on a file that has been uploaded and that meets a very specific definition - such as the largest file in the upload is file type "wmv" and the file has been uploaded less than one or two hours ago?

Seems to me that once enough of these files are deleted quickly enough so that people who engage in this kind of baloney don't make hardly any money, they might just get discouraged and go away.

I don't know enough to be able to recommend some appropriate definition. But it seems to me like one possible solution would be to give several members the ability to delete these uploads whenever they encounter them. Is anything along these lines possible?
Jum Lee Wrote:Is there any way that people who have been members here for a long time and are somewhat trusted could be given the tools to delete uploads in which the largest file is of file type ".WMV"?

Jim Lee Wrote:But it seems to me like one possible solution would be to give several members the ability to delete these uploads whenever they encounter them.

TPB once had this feature; It was removed because it has a big disadvantage: if an account is being hacked (and it happens quite often because many TPB proxyies support login/register feature being able to hijack accounts) the hacker could delete many good torrents and/or replace them with fake ones.

From me you will receive the same answer you will receive from staff: If you spot any fake torrent, report it to [Report Torrents / Comments] forum.
We already give such members such tools, that's what moderators are.
Heh. Heh.

OK. Thanks very much.

Dolly_cat, I appreciate your reply and I think I better spend some more time reading the FAQ because I need to understand how things are organized here a little better. I don't want to make unnecessary work for the mods.