Digital Piracy Research
(Jan 28, 2016, 11:13 am)stormium Wrote:
(Jan 28, 2016, 11:00 am)Researcher123 Wrote: As I said, it won't legalise it but at least this piece of research may go some way to opening ip the topic to a greater discussion.

no, what you said was:

Researcher123 Wrote:however, with the help of you and your participation it may be possible to present evidence for why digital piracy should be legalized.

fyi, we can see revision history on posts. Wink

nice try tho.

anyway... explain how an online survey result is 'evidence'.

As you can read I have said 'present evidence for why digital piracy should be legalized'. By opening up the topic it will go someway to helping discuss the topic and its legalization. One piece of research, obviously, will not be enough to legalize anything but all my aim is is to get attention about the subject so more research can take place. 

Also, I haven't edited anything so I am not sure what you are on about here, I edited my first post minutes after I posted it just to add a tiny bit more explanation. Perhaps you should investigate further before making accusations.

Finally, by understanding people's attitudes I believe that it will be possible to lobby the government(s). Government(s) are supposed to serve its people, although I know this rarely happens, if there is enough academic research then it will help. The survey is one strand of evidence which will be presented in the research, as I have already mentioned. Anything which includes the attitudes of the public helps to support any academic piece of research.

The survey posted here has been replicated and distributed in other channels, the reason I am trying to get participants that are actively participating in the act is so that I can (hopefully) demonstrate that the views are similar with people who do not participate as actively, as if this is not included then it could be a criticism which could weaken the research.
Everything relating file sharing has been discussed already ad nauseam. Another paper will be ignored. Nihil novum sub sole. (It's latin day!)

Instead of discovering the wheel all over again, why don't you just read something about places where filesharing is already legal? Maybe you learn something.
I am not really sure how many times I have to say this. The survey here is one of many methods which are being used to increase the validity of the research, allowing the results to be applied on a larger scale.

Yes, looking at countries where it is already legal is already being included.
Researcher123 Wrote:Perhaps you should investigate further before making accusations.

Researcher123 Wrote:I am not really sure how many times I have to say this.

(Jan 28, 2016, 18:01 pm)Researcher123 Wrote: Finally, by understanding people's attitudes I believe that it will be possible to lobby the government(s). Government(s) are supposed to serve its people, although I know this rarely happens, if there is enough academic research then it will help. The survey is one strand of evidence which will be presented in the research, as I have already mentioned. Anything which includes the attitudes of the public helps to support any academic piece of research.

so, you wanna understand people's attitudes? how are you going to understand anything when you get all snippy about honest questions and comments about your research?

to be quite honest, i feel offended by your previous comments and that is another thing that makes me doubt your sincerity and that of your research.
I'm astounded at the reaction here.

If the researcher is legit, then alienating them isn't helping the community and Suprbay is doing a disservice. If it's not legit then there is nothing to lose but there is a PR exercise to gain by engaging in a positive manner rather than get lost, we don't believe you.
(Jan 29, 2016, 07:25 am)stormium Wrote:
Researcher123 Wrote:Perhaps you should investigate further before making accusations.

Researcher123 Wrote:I am not really sure how many times I have to say this.

(Jan 28, 2016, 18:01 pm)Researcher123 Wrote: Finally, by understanding people's attitudes I believe that it will be possible to lobby the government(s). Government(s) are supposed to serve its people, although I know this rarely happens, if there is enough academic research then it will help. The survey is one strand of evidence which will be presented in the research, as I have already mentioned. Anything which includes the attitudes of the public helps to support any academic piece of research.

so, you wanna understand people's attitudes? how are you going to understand anything when you get all snippy about honest questions and comments about your research?

to be quite honest, i feel offended by your previous comments and that is another thing that makes me doubt your sincerity and that of your research.

That is one aspect of the piece of research, yes. The questions are designed to gain snippets of information from participants. This information can then be used against focus groups which will be held to allow a greater depth into the answers. If the answers in the focus groups are similar to those in the questionnaires then it will be possible to generate a conclusion which can be generalised to a wider community.

I don't understand why you would think I would go through the effort of creating a questionnaire and then distributing it on a wide scale if I was not a sincere and genuine researcher.

I apologise if you are offended, but I have answered your question about three times with you trying to disprove me and make it sound like I am lying. I have designed the research to gain a large amount of depth into answers whilst also being able to apply it to a larger scale. This, alongside my meta-analysis of previous academic literature and analysing how countries who legalise file-sharing will allow myself to make a solid conclusion in this academic paper.

(Jan 29, 2016, 09:28 am)N4NC3Y Wrote: I'm astounded at the reaction here.

If the researcher is legit, then alienating them isn't helping the community and Suprbay is doing a disservice. If it's not legit then there is nothing to lose but there is a PR exercise to gain by engaging in a positive manner rather than get lost, we don't believe you.

Thank you, N4NC3Y for your support. I am unsure how many researchers approach this site. I am only trying to give the people of this community a voice, which seems to be very difficult due to the hostility. I appreciate the approach of the Administrator and his initial approach and I am glad that he has left the topic open for discussion. 

I would also like to thank all of the users which have currently taken part in the research and I continue to encourage participants to complete it. 

Thank you.
I've done the questionnaire. A lot of info and questions are biased.
But that's not important, all these researches are identical, all providing the same useless prejudices.
The important thing is that none of the questions are related to the one and only important issue, the one in which is based the fact that in most countries file sharing is legal, and that is privacy.
You can go over and over again repeating the same questions: how much money is lost, if it's theft or not, etc, etc.
And you can keep ignoring the real question, we're used to it.
But don't expect us to tell you that what you're doing is relevant or interesting, because it's not.
(Jan 29, 2016, 14:34 pm)connor17 Wrote: I've done the questionnaire. A lot of info and questions are biased.
But that's not important, all these researches are identical, all providing the same useless prejudices.
The important thing is that none of the questions are related to the one and only important issue, the one in which is based the fact that in most countries file sharing is legal, and that is privacy.
You can go over and over again repeating the same questions: how much money is lost, if it's theft or not, etc, etc.
And you can keep ignoring the real question, we're used to it.
But don't expect us to tell you that what you're doing is relevant or interesting, because it's not.

I can sense battle fatigue in your writing. That is understandable and not surprising. I think we need these opportunities to correct the narrative more than ever, though.

Even I'm having difficulty linking file sharing to privacy. I see the current trends to be putting censorship mechanisms in place under the cover-all of piracy. But that is an aside from this research.

@Researcher123
Considering you hail from the UK where copying or downloading are not currently illegal-only distribution is illegal. I wonder where you obtained the questions? Is there a text-book "Start with these questions"? Did you create them and if so, how did you arrive at them (I noticed the obligatory control questions)

The questions were arguably in the vein of "how often do you beat your wife" and since people here are tired of similar surveys I'm wondering if there is a boiler-plate that students are being prompted to use and, if so, by whom? Is there non-academic funding for this research?

As you have probably gathered, the subject is emotive and defenders of sharing are passionate. I certainly hope that passion is reciprocated in honing the questionnaire into an objective and first-in-class paper rather than a Sun tabloid "A recent survey has said".
File sharing is legal. Why? Because privacy prevails over copyright.
(https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Privacy...ourt-rules)

It has nothing to do with:
- How authors are gonna get paid.
- How copyright is good or bad for innovation.
- VCR is gonna kill movies
- Radio is gonna kill music
etc, etc, etc
(https://torrentfreak.com/letter-copyrigh...ly-140921/)

If this is so simple, why over and over again (and then again one more time), are we defamed with the same lies?
That's because this is not about why filesharing should be legal, is about why filesharing should be illegal. All those questionnaires are nothing but the copyright monopolies line of argument disguised as "researches".

http://piracycrusade.com/

[Image: a18f779.jpg]
(Jan 30, 2016, 07:26 am)connor17 Wrote: File sharing is legal. Why? Because privacy prevails over copyright.
(https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Privacy...ourt-rules)

It has nothing to do with:
- How authors are gonna get paid.
- How copyright is good or bad for innovation.
- VCR is gonna kill movies
- Radio is gonna kill music
etc, etc, etc
(https://torrentfreak.com/letter-copyrigh...ly-140921/)

If this is so simple, why over and over again (and then again one more time), are we borked with the same lies?
That's because this is not about why filesharing should be legal, is about why filesharing should be illegal. All those questionnaires are nothing but the copyright monopolies line of argument disguised as "researches".
Here is the Google translate into English of Connor17s Spanish article, which is very readable.

It's a good response from the Spanish courts and bucks the general trend. 

I have often wondered if an argument could be made that all user data is copyrighted by extending the "creative arts" definition to encompass information - use their favorite argument and laws against them. This would turn the tables on the consumers and exploiters of our information and they would have to accept our terms and conditions to use any of it. These terms could be easily supplied as boiler-plates by the various privacy advocates to expose only the minimal rights required for various services and could all be recalled at any time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commentary: Piracy is good, really RobertX 1 782 Feb 18, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: Fawkesguy
  New market research shows shocking trend among Gen Z and Gen Alphap Ladyanne3 4 1,095 Feb 12, 2024, 21:43 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  Hi! New to Piracy, please help! Crow1xz4 4 9,810 Mar 30, 2022, 23:31 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  What's a good way to promote and monetize my blog using torrents and piracy? LadyAnn2 5 13,559 Aug 08, 2021, 14:31 pm
Last Post: waregim
  Is the online piracy community dead? renhoek93 36 60,261 Jul 25, 2021, 21:22 pm
Last Post: Moe