Currently reading.
The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
The Hobbit.

The book, not the abridged movie.
For My Legionaries by Corneliu Codreanu
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success - Carol Dweck
The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker

Probably the best horror writer ever, but this one so far is sort of meh. Read his earlier stuff though! Holy crap.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians, the first book.
Barbarian Rites: The Spiritual World of the Vikings and the Germanic Tribes
by Hans-Peter Hasenfratz
Just finished 'Outer Dark' by Cormac McCarthy. Utterly fantastic in every sense of the word (google 'fantastic').

It was beautiful, and as all his novels are, pretty abstract, so I'm going to read it again, to understand it better. Tongue

I'll give it a sort of synopsis/review.

Set 100 or more years ago, it's the story of a young woman, who lives with her brother and is impregnated by him, and after she gives birth, he takes the chap out into the forest and abandons him, where he is picked up by a wandering tinker/salesman. Throughout the verbose novel, she searches for her chap and her brother searches for her. Both wandering about the countryside, searching. Meanwhile a trio of men/demons also wander the countryside wreaking havoc to all they come across.

McCarthy is a master of english and can be difficult to understand at times due to his obscure language, but even without understanding parts of it, it is lyrical and magnificent.

A few examples.

“It howled execration upon the dim camarine world of its nativity wail on wail while he lay there gibbering with palsied jawhasps, his hands putting back the night like some witless Paraclete beleaguered with all limbo's clamor.”

“Night fell upon them dark and starblown and the wagon grew swollen near mute with dew. On their chairs in such black immobility these travelers could have been stone figures quarried from the architecture of an older time.”

“What discordant vespers do the tinker's goods chime through the long twilight and over the brindled forest road, him stooped and hounded through the windy recrements of day like those old exiles who divorced of corporeality and enjoined ingress of heaven or hell wander forever the middle warrens spoorless increate and anathema. Hounded by grief, by guilt, or like this cheerless vendor clamored at heel through wood and fen by his own querulous and inconsolable wares in perennial tin malediction.”

I love that shit.
(Dec 10, 2016, 00:11 am)workerbee Wrote:
(Dec 09, 2016, 23:19 pm)puggles Wrote: Many thanks to workerbee for his stellar uploads/ collections.

You're very welcome.  It's my pleasure.  Smile

I totally second this.  I've just worked my way through Adele Abbotts Witch series thanks to him and am now on book four of Gini Kochs Alien series again thanks to workerbee

(Sep 22, 2016, 09:28 am)joew771 Wrote:
(Sep 21, 2016, 20:37 pm)Dr.Soc Wrote: Razor Girl: A Novel by Carl Hiaasen
(started today)

[Image: 51s3vAIUnTL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Hiaasen is awesome. I've read most of his books. Not that one yet though.

Currently reading Stephen King.

[Image: 08BOOKKING1-blog427-v4.jpg]
It's ok. Nothing too great.

His last few books have been a bit of a let down for me.  I haven't read this one yet though
Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith. I'm actually second guessing if I should finish it or not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading the Bible RobertX 61 121,054 Feb 13, 2024, 19:58 pm
Last Post: Wolfess
  Recommended reading order site? friendlyspidey 3 24,572 Dec 22, 2013, 09:04 am
Last Post: STFmaryville