Call me paranoid, but how do I know what's real.
I heard rumors for example that TPB is under FBI control since the takedown a while ago, and that TOR is being heavily monitored, and that much of the deep web resources the average joe could find are filled with traps. There's all these privacy and anti-censorship things on here but how do I know it's not a decoy. I mean, for someone like me who is inexperienced with this sort of thing, I have no starting point, no idea what to trust, and no resources to use aside from things I have no idea if they are compromised or not. Like google, and a forum for a site that I heard a rumor about.
Well, if TPB is under FBI control, what makes you think you'll get a straight answer from The PirateBay Forum? How do you know that I am not in fact an FBI agent? If that were the case, do you really expect I would answer truthfully?

I'm pretty sure Sid is CIA, and Spud is NSA, so if either of them say they aren't FBI they are probably being honest.
There are cracks in TOR which DOJ and other US based law enforcement agencies use, thats no secret.
TBP prolly has several moles also, it wouldnt be surprising.
I dunno man, I was hoping someone more experienced than me had figured out perhaps a way to be sure you're secure or something. Something that is infallible and doesn't require just taking someones word for it.
Suppose something like that is too good to be true though eh?
How do we know the universe isn't a simulation?
Funnily enough, Descartes was asking about this just other day century.
TBH I actually believe the universe is a simulation. It seems ridiculous at first, but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. The more it seems arrogant to assume our existence (by which I mean our universe, not humans specifically) is the pinnacle of all possible intelligence in any form of existence. Also quantum mechanics.
Also, going back to your topic, it's a good question. At least in the sense that it's worth asking even though most people don't think about it.

The answer is that you cannot know for certain, about anything on the Internet. But to a fairly large degree that goes for life in general. And that's where the answer lies. You choose a few things to believe in or you simply accept them without really thinking about it. Perhaps your parents, or your church, or your teachers, or your employer, or the news program on your favouite TV channel.

You can't really verify everything they tell you, but you trust it, and you work outward from there. And some sources you get a positive vibe from, some you don't.

You won't always get it right, sometimes you will trust the wrong person and sometimes you won't trust someone who could have helped you but as long as you use some common sense you will usually get by without too much harm.

It's the same online. You've found some rumours but were they on sites you trust (or sites you had ever even heard of before you found the rumours), posted by people you trust?

I'm not aware of any such claims being made by any "reputable" sites. Doesn't mean they're not true, we might just be really good at hiding our true reptilian natures, but on balance I think you can reasonbly conclude that TPB is FBI-less.

And, seriously, even if it is being run by the FBI, unless you're a genuinely big name uploader you wouldn't have anything to fear anyway--the Feds aren't interested in the small fish.
And if the FBI really wanted to catch uploaders, you'd think their coders would have fixed Winston's bugs by now.
I would posit that the most important tool a formal education may disperse is critical thought, the critical evaluation of sources (plural) of information.
Here are just some of the things I have "learnt" from that now defunct upload site, "learnt" from both its old and its resurrected community forum:

- proof that tpb is now in the hands of the government is evidenced by its .org domain
- 90% of uploads on tpb are fakes and malware
- fakes and malware on tpb do not get removed even after being reported
- uploads on tpb are not seeded
- tpb has no community
- tpb is confusing and the search function does not work
- search does work and you will find what you are looking for on tpb but you will also get a big fat fine
- tpb lacks torrent information that another site may have given
- tpb layout dates from the last century
- quite a few tpb green skulls have in the past posted bad torrents
- there are no former Kat uploaders on tpb

These are just some of the things I have "learnt" about tpb. Question the source of your information. Get your information from multiple sources. Think for yourself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know transimission client is working through VPN? antiseptic 0 8,266 May 21, 2022, 01:34 am
Last Post: antiseptic
  Google DMCA Notice Record Smashed Again – But Why? ddoking007 2 20,383 Oct 09, 2015, 03:41 am
Last Post: willieaames