C or C++
Well, not all instructors are good instructors, but before I got into Java, I knew only VB. When I did get taught, I had a good instructor and my experience did not hurt as much.

Can't say that for everyone.

EDIT: I would say though is that experience is the best teacher, but that would discredit Java and I don't want to do that.
I've been out of programming for so fucking long, but this thread presents an age-old, classic argument.

If you really want to learn, just pick your poison and drink the poison.

Whatever you learn first, do this: https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Learnin...curriculum
I would think that the best way to determine any choice of language is to determine ones general direction of interests (web site/networking/science/sysadmin/kernel/database/documents/gaming, etc) and see which language has the most diverse libraries for it.
Pretty much this, once you get the ball going and you learn more and more you pick up other languages real fast (generally). You gotta put in the effort now, tho
Guys, in your opinions, is age 38 too late to start over programming?

I had no jobs and and no discipline with starting over even though I picked up quite of knowledge back in community college.

Even though I enjoy programming, I don't love it. I am into software in general, and I am into just getting a computer to work for crying out loud, but, as of now, I have struck the bottom.

Not even hell is deeper.
(Mar 06, 2021, 10:32 am)RobertX Wrote: Guys, in your opinions, is age 38 too late to start over programming?

I had no jobs and and no discipline with starting over even though I picked up quite of knowledge back in community college.

Even though I enjoy programming, I don't love it. I am into software in general, and I am into just getting a computer to work for crying out loud, but, as of now, I have struck the bottom.

Not even hell is deeper.

It's never too late for that kind of thing,
as long as you enjoy it.
I can't tell about market for remote work programmers but my niece's husband is doing well with that, he creates tools for batch photography processing up to book printing. Company also makes videos me he started experimenting with rail and hoover cameras.

I had a half life long experience in both company and home programming and got fed up at age thirty-something

Age isn't a particular problem, individuals and their abilities, mindsets, or moods are. Be positive, proactive, pragmatic, and you should be all right.
ansi C
If you wish to start from the "basics", the C language is probably the best option. Then, once got the proper knowledge, you can eventually reach the C++ language.
I would say that one thing that would hinder C from becoming a first language program is that it's inconsistent treatment of string variables from other data types.

They would insist that you think that way. I would say it's bullshit.

Also, commands like fprintf requires too much parameter loading. The fact that profs insist that you use fprintf is ridiculous.

EDIT: Just stick to Java.

If you can't, then go with C.