Blocking Solidworks 2020 from the Internet
I installed Solidworks 2020 into a Windows 10 partition and tried to block it using Zonealarm, but with no luck. SW has many files trying to access the Internet, and might even piggyback OS system files/processes, I don't know. What I do know is that I've been unable to block it from accessing the SW servers, which resulted in the program not working. I tried several times, and each time I had to re-install the OS, but still no luck. I currently have SW installed and working in a Windows 10 partition that is not connected to the Internet.

I only have one computer, and so really need it to have Internet access while using Solidworks. Please could someone tell me how to block SW from the Internet, even if it means I need to get a better firewall?

To add: following one unsuccessful attempt to get SW to install, I tried to completely uninstall it, and used a deep uninstall program for the job. But it didn't work. SW seem to have done a pretty good job of deep-rooting anti-piracy code within the OS.

I did try to use VirtualBox, but my computer isn't up to much, and also VB sucked the RAM dry for whatever reason, so proved unuseable.

Thanks.
I am no expert, but looks like editing the hosts file should do the job. Can you identify the domains it is accessing, and edit the hosts file to map those particular domains to localhost, i.e. 127.0.0.1? If that doesn't work then I would like to know when you find some other solution. Do share that here.
(May 08, 2020, 14:45 pm)siyaa Wrote: I am no expert, but looks like editing the hosts file should do the job. Can you identify the domains it is accessing, and edit the hosts file to map those particular domains to localhost, i.e. 127.0.0.1? If that doesn't work then I would like to know when you find some other solution. Do share that here.

Thanks. I'll look for the hosts file, but I'm not confident. I have found the page, below, which advises on this, although I don't know whether to trust it or not. One mistake, and I'll have to format the partition, and then reinstall the OS, SW, and a few other programs, and that takes hours:

https://hawkridgesys.com/blog/dispelling...solidworks
(May 08, 2020, 15:03 pm)Tellurian Wrote: Thanks. I'll look for the hosts file, but I'm not confident. I have found the page, below, which advises on this, although I don't know whether to trust it or not. One mistake, and I'll have to format the partition, and then reinstall the OS, SW, and a few other programs, and that takes hours:

Great. So you already know which ports to block in the firewall.

I don't think blocking a certain port and later unblocking (in case doesn't work) will require you to format and reinstall OS. This article is asking you to allow certain ports, which means in your case, you need to block these ports, and SW won't be able to communicate to the server.
Perhaps a simpler way would be to block the ports at the router.

Another possibility is to use a packet sniffer, or an IP blocker like BeeTree and see whats trying to phone home. Once you get the IP, add it to Hosts.
(May 09, 2020, 15:00 pm)siyaa Wrote:
(May 08, 2020, 15:03 pm)Tellurian Wrote: Thanks. I'll look for the hosts file, but I'm not confident. I have found the page, below, which advises on this, although I don't know whether to trust it or not. One mistake, and I'll have to format the partition, and then reinstall the OS, SW, and a few other programs, and that takes hours:

I don't think blocking a certain port and later unblocking (in case doesn't work) will require you to format and reinstall OS. This article is asking you to allow certain ports, which means in your case, you need to block these ports, and SW won't be able to communicate to the server.

Thanks for your post. Sorry for my late reply - I only just saw it.

(May 15, 2020, 01:30 am)waregim Wrote: Perhaps a simpler way would be to block the ports at the router.

Another possibility is to use a packet sniffer, or an  IP blocker like BeeTree and see whats trying to phone home. Once you get the IP, add it to Hosts.

Thanks for this. I'll look into BeeTree.
(Sep 27, 2021, 22:41 pm)Tellurian Wrote:
(May 09, 2020, 15:00 pm)siyaa Wrote:

Thanks for your post. Sorry for my late reply - I only just saw it.

(May 15, 2020, 01:30 am)waregim Wrote: Perhaps a simpler way would be to block the ports at the router.

Another possibility is to use a packet sniffer, or an  IP blocker like BeeTree and see whats trying to phone home. Once you get the IP, add it to Hosts.

Thanks for this. I'll look into BeeTree.

Hey curious to know if you were ever able to solve this problem? If so what was the solution to resolve the connectivity issue? Huh
The solution is, as some reading me previously could guess, to use a VM with PCI Passtrough, so will need to sacrifice an entire GPU to work. The VM can allow to use the software with 95% of the native performance while totally blocking any undesirable Internet access on a lower level. I did not read too carefully what Solidworks 2020 is, seems to be a 3D CAD design software, thus just saying "VMware," which has a better 3D but still insufficient, or "VirtualBox," whose 3D is very far from good, that won't do.