Avi's/MKV's
Not directly TV Show related but I'd love to hear your opinions as I only upload TV shows, so you are kind of my customers.

I normally only upload avi's but people are always asking for subtitles and you can't add soft subs in avi's, they are either permanently on or permanently off. I was considering including the .srt's in the torrent but then you can't switch them off, the only way is to delete them/move them but to do that, you'd need to stop seeding.

As a result I've now decided to use MKV's instead. They work on Windows Media Player and have subs you can switch on and off.

What are your thoughts chaps, I value your opinion.

TSV.
Only advantage with avi is that some non-PC related players can use that but not MKVs. If you want to release low-res stuff, it can also be packed in MKV, so that's no reason for using avi.

In the anime world, avi has become a legacy additional upload to cater to people with old playing equipment, and is only used by a few groups; most release only in MKV or occasionally MP4 for h264 hardsubs. I'd never DL an avi when there's an high-end alternative. Looking back, I have seen that the regular TV crowd lags behind tech-wise though, so other folks may have other preferences.
(Nov 29, 2013, 16:36 pm)Toilet_sniffer_V Wrote: I was considering including the .srt's in the torrent but then you can't switch them off,

Yes you can.
Hey TSV, nice to have you back Big Grin

(Nov 29, 2013, 16:36 pm)Toilet_sniffer_V Wrote: I was considering including the .srt's in the torrent but then you can't switch them off

[...]

As a result I've now decided to use MKV's instead. They work on Windows Media Player and have subs you can switch on and off.

As NIK (and BOB the builder Tongue ) say: yes you can!

In every major media player (VLC, WMP, PowerDVD - actually almost every player on the market) you can switch of subtitles, as long as they come as .srt or.sub/.idx files (or whatever other subtitle format there is) and are not hard coded into the video file.

For VLC you right click somewhere in the player window while the file is playing and choose subtitles -> deactivate, and boom! no more subtitles Wink .

If you are adjusting your video file standards anyway, you could also go for .mp4, as this container (just like .mkv) can hold subs inside (especially srt files), which would keep the torrent nice and neat. No cluttering with a ton of additional .srt files.
People have grown to accept mp4 as the "new avi", while most are still skeptical when it comes to mkv.

If you use Handbrake to rip your DVDs or BlueRays it's fairly easy to include your subs, too.
If you just pack collected files there are also tools to do the job.
Read here: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-e...-mp-136939

And a link to a subtitle muxer (PC): http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mp4box
(Nov 29, 2013, 16:36 pm)Toilet_sniffer_V Wrote: Not directly TV Show related but I'd love to hear your opinions as I only upload TV shows, so you are kind of my customers.

I normally only upload avi's but people are always asking for subtitles and you can't add soft subs in avi's, they are either permanently on or permanently off. I was considering including the .srt's in the torrent but then you can't switch them off, the only way is to delete them/move them but to do that, you'd need to stop seeding.

TSV.
I want to thank you personally for Downton Abbey. I have enjoyed it very much. I have no idea how to do subtitles. I would like to find out how to do them as my husband is deaf and they come in handy for him to follow the program. I am new to this program. Also, I am not as smart as some on the computer. Will you be uploading the Christmas episode that will be aired Christmas day in the UK. Thank you so much...

(Nov 29, 2013, 16:36 pm)Toilet_sniffer_V Wrote: Not directly TV Show related but I'd love to hear your opinions as I only upload TV shows, so you are kind of my customers.

TSV.
I want to thank you personally for Downton Abbey. I have enjoyed it very much. I have no idea how to do subtitles. I would like to find out how to do them as my husband is deaf and they come in handy for him to follow the program. I am new to this program. Also, I am not as smart as some on the computer. Will you be uploading the Christmas episode that will be aired Christmas day in the UK. Thank you so much...
TSV, if you want to include subtitles in AVIs, you need to rename the file of either the SRT or the AVI in question as same as the corresponding AVI or SRT, creating a pair. For example, file1video.avi can display the same subtitles as file1.srt if you either rename file1video.avi to file1.avi or file1.srt to file1video.srt.
Confusing? I thought you might be! Smile

Just do this: if you want to use file1sub.srt subtitles to file1.avi, just rename file1sub.srt to file1.srt and leave everything else alone.

Hope this helps.
I think he meant he preferred them included in the container, not as separate files. The rest of the text implies knowledge of how separate text files will be linked by the standard players.
Great idea.
The only issue I have with MKVs, is that they won't play on my Xbox 360. If the files are worth the effort, I will extract and remux the files into something that can play on the 360, but it's a lot nicer when I can just download and toss it on the external.
mkv also doesn't play on PS3. I always look for avi or mp4.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TV File Flavor Change to .mkv greensugaroc12 2 16,509 Jun 07, 2016, 17:14 pm
Last Post: greensugaroc12
  Am I The Only One That Hates MKV? Pniz 15 38,928 Nov 29, 2014, 22:53 pm
Last Post: NIK