Advice & Tips for Proton VPN settings on chromebook
Browser based VPN plugins aren't real VPN and usually just a Socks proxy at best, https at worst. Also if you search all over there have been proofs posted that Proton is able to identify users on their VPN network with one reddit post claiming they even received an email from proton asking them to stop doing something.

That said you're not WikiLeaking so it doesn't really matter since the paid plan allows P2P and that's more than enough to stop the automated DMCA email bots from getting anything. There's too much tinfoil meth paranoia just for simple torrents no one really cares about. Nobody is going out of their way to find you.

Also as for the chromebook I would keep it. You can install a full Linux distro on it, I run GalliumOS on mine since google stops supporting them after a few years and they become useless.
Chromebooks lack full native Linux support (because google dumb), while other laptops excel in this aspect. Opting for any other laptop would solve the problem instantly!
(Jan 29, 2024, 12:37 pm)lustrous Wrote: Chromebooks lack full native Linux support (because google dumb), while other laptops excel in this aspect. Opting for any other laptop would solve the problem instantly!

Gallium is nice. ARM is a bitch to try and install on unless it's the manufacturer left the board open by design but there are some advantages. I have a teeny dell that has a pretty durable hard plastic case and the battery lasts forever. It was a decent field computer, though after trying to do a native install by removing the write protect screw and disabling it in the command line the live disk crashes when trying to install now. I was hoping to be able to get it to boot up straight to Gallium instead of having to select in the BIOS boot menu which you had to take the screw out for but no luck and now I can't find the screw.

Which is another pitfall of the chromebook, short support life before it becomes e-waste. Someday later I'll try to find someone from a Linux USG more experienced with that to mail it to and have them take a crack at it. Oh well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VPN; Antivirus software questions anonymousenvy007 8 10,746 Jan 26, 2024, 15:33 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Advice: How to use a travel router RobertX 0 1,790 Dec 17, 2023, 21:06 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Earphones/headset advice? rezwaki 4 4,495 Oct 02, 2023, 20:00 pm
Last Post: rezwaki
  Is it possible to "convert" a Chromebook into a Windows box by partitioning? RobertX 2 22,337 May 23, 2021, 01:28 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Is a vpn necessary when downloading from tpb? chaoticbeliever 7 25,738 Nov 27, 2018, 18:26 pm
Last Post: waregim