7000 - How to Convert Videos using VLC Amazing
We all are familiar with VLC Media Player which is Software or in simple words a Music Player which supports many File Types.
Now this Player can not only be used to Play just the Music Audio and Video but can also be used to Convert the Media File Types.

So to use this Trick just follow the simple steps :

1) Open VLC Media Player.

2) Click on Media and select Convert / Save (Ctrl+R ) Option.

3) Now Add the Files by using Add Button on the new Window which appeared.

4) Now Click on Convert / Save Button and this will Open an Another Window.

5) Now select the Destination File and Profile ( Conversion Format ) as you wish.

6) Finally Click on the Start Button to Begin the Conversion and it is done.

So it is a simple Trick on How to Convert Videos using VLC Media Player.
[Image: formats.png]
(Oct 26, 2013, 14:15 pm)Anacondaz Wrote: We all are familiar with VLC Media Player which is Software or in simple words a Music Player which supports many File Types.
Now this Player can not only be used to Play just the Music Audio and Video but can also be used to Convert the Media File Types.

So to use this Trick just follow the simple steps :

1) Open VLC Media Player.

2) Click on Media and select Convert / Save (Ctrl+R ) Option.

3) Now Add the Files by using Add Button on the new Window which appeared.

4) Now Click on Convert / Save Button and this will Open an Another Window.

5) Now select the Destination File and Profile ( Conversion Format ) as you wish.

6) Finally Click on the Start Button to Begin the Conversion and it is done.

So it is a simple Trick on How to Convert Videos using VLC Media Player.
[Image: formats.png]
Quote:5) Now select the Destination File and Profile
where do you get this, is it where the new dvd will be written to?
Does VLC take very long to convert a 1920x1080 mp4 file relative to other conversion programs? Some movies I download from Yify will play on the TV from a USB flashdrive and some won't. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the movie not encoded in H.264, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas?
a) convert it to what?

b) if it is Yify, it is h.264, that's all they encode in.
(Apr 10, 2014, 22:06 pm)NIK Wrote: a) convert it to what?
b) if it is Yify, it is h.264, that's all they encode in.

Every Yify file plays perfectly on the computer using MPC-HC (my favorite player), but on the TV something's not right. I normally copy the files to a USB stick and use the TV's USB input to play them. Some play perfectly, but on others I get a message saying the file is not compatible.

I just ran a test with a movie that wouldn't play (Midnight Lace, 1080p). I used Ultra Video Joiner to convert it to an output format called H264 AVC Mpeg4 (*.mp4) - after the conversion the file played perfectly. I have no clue as to why it wouldn't play before or why some work and some don't.

The unconverted file will play if I use DLNA from the computer, but I can't advance or back up, nor will it resume if I have to close the program down. That's why I asked it VLC was generally better and/or faster relative to other converters.

Any ideas?
h.264 is like a Chocolate Cake recipe. Cooks are able to adjust things. What comes out will always be a chocolate cake but they won't always be identical and some people won't like one version but might like another.

That is an old movie, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the encoder had uses slightly different settings when encoding it to what they normally use for more recent movies. It's still a perfectly legitimate mp4, but your TV is choking on one of the ingredients/adjusted settings. Ultra Video Joiner, being a less sophisticated encoder than the tools used by YIFY doesn't support whatever quality adjustment they made--so it strips it out and suddenly your TV can play the file.

If you wanted, you could examine the original file and the converted file using http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to see what has been changed. But since you have a working conversion method I wouldn't bother. I also wouldn't bother with VLC. If it is faster, it won't be hugely so.
Thanks for replying. I downloaded the file and, just out of curiosity I'll see what the uploader is doing. How do these guys do it? Do they just rip out a Blu-Ray disc and manually add whatever codec they feel is appropriate? I don't know if this is how they do it, but if so I guess maybe and can send an email (or something) to these guys to ask them to use this codec and not that one. Huh
Yes, they use whatever codec (and, more importantly, whatever settings) they want to. They are the ones doing the work, for free, so it is entirely and rightfully their choice.

They make good choices--as evidenced by the fact that 97 of the 100 most popular HD Movies on TPB are theirs.

It would be pointless (and, frankly, rude and unrealistic) for you to tell them they're doing it wrong. OK, they sometimes fail to satisfy your personal requirements, but they're never going to satisfy everyone all of the time.
(Apr 19, 2014, 23:02 pm)NIK Wrote: It would be pointless (and, frankly, rude and unrealistic) for you to tell them they're doing it wrong. OK, they sometimes fail to satisfy your personal requirements, but they're never going to satisfy everyone all of the time.

Thanks for the tip. Of course I won't try to contact them about this, but it's not so much a personal requirement of mine. My only intention was to ask them if it wasn't too much of a problem to select the codec that works as opposed to the one that causes this problem. It never crossed my mind this would upset them, that's the last thing I'd ever want to do. Naturally I'll take your advice and simply "convert" the ones that don't work.

I already installed MediaInfo so I can see for myself where the problem is.

You know quite a bit about this topic so let me ask you something else. As you know, some movies were filmed using a 21:9(±) aspect ratio, which means when you play them you see those horrendous black bars on the top and bottom. Do you know of a program that will "pan & scan", i.e., crop out the sides and reduce the aspect ratio to a more pleasant 16:9?

One more thing - how did you put an avatar on your name? I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Thanks for your help.
You've taken that a little harder than it was intended.

My point was merely that they're currently satisfying literally hundreds of thousands of people. They won't be offended by anything you might send them but they simply won't risk upsetting that very large set of downloaders by changing anything to accommodate a much smaller set of downloaders who, for whatever reason, aren't entirely satisfied. From their point of view that just wouldn't make any sense.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3020 - Convert Magnet links into Torrent Files demonS 8 128,316 Nov 15, 2023, 23:26 pm
Last Post: huangiq
  7000 FLV / MKV / MP4 to MKV / MP4 Quickly, Easily, Losslessly NIK 7 111,656 Mar 31, 2017, 02:32 am
Last Post: RobertX