SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: [Release] OfflineBay 1.0.2 - Download torrents from thePirateBay offline.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(Mar 06, 2018, 04:49 am)Clubbin2Live Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Man yeah I know you (OfflineBay) and TPB are not the same. I just asked the question because I saw the Admins / Mods have been
active on this thread and the dump is the dynamically important piece of the s/w you created. Propz BTW for that Wink)  Also THX for the info about the JVM not "processing" fwd slashes on OS X. I did see another user state that he was NOT able to install OfflineBay on Fedora. What type of dev help are you interested in on this project? I saw you mentioned Electron. I guess the question is where do you want to take this project?

Yes i'm thinking Electron. It would be the optimal option. But i don't know how users may deal with the excessive memory usage and the alarming package size due to the Chromium engine. Still looking at options. Also the whole program needs to be rewritten in JS if the choice is to migrate to Electron. Not gonna be very easy.

(Mar 06, 2018, 18:41 pm)Sid Wrote: [ -> ]I agree--a portable app is a good call.

Thank you Sid. I really appreciate your support on this thread.  Tongue And you were 1000% correct about the bogus website. It's already "tomorrow" and the owner has added some new things such as 'Contact Us'. Nothing is to be visible on the page but uBlock show that it blocked 7 unwanted elements on the page. The page keeps trying to reload those elements. Could be miners. Just found out that they're also promoting it on Reddit.

[Image: G9amueC6ThegwhVxUn14XA.png]     [Image: qsRbWD4xTCGWM72oODT5Tg.png]

Whoever's trying to monetize this project, it's not going to end well. Everybody be aware of these scams. Only source about OB you could trust is this thread on Suprbay. Please share this message and raise awareness.

(Mar 06, 2018, 19:05 pm)kosmoleo Wrote: [ -> ]Any plans for an Android version anytime soon...?

I'm no mobile expert but It's gonna be a bit hard dealing with huge data dumps on mobile devices. So we may have to wait a while till we're gonna see that come to light.
(Mar 06, 2018, 01:38 am)techtac Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 05, 2018, 05:25 am)kiwipeso Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 05, 2018, 03:00 am)TalkativeTech Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I just downloaded it on fedora and can't install it. Any idea? Huh

I've tried a couple of times on High Sierra just now.
It seems the error is the following issue with image files : (attached)

This is a rare occurrence that happens only on OSX. It doesn't happen on Linux distros. The problem is in the JVM which is a clash between OSX file system and JVM. Would you be willing to do some testing on OSX?

Yes, I would be willing to do some testing on OSX.
I do have the current version of High Sierra, and do not run the OSX betas.

I was going to mention my research project in a separate thread,
 though that is more a rewrite of Bittorrent for my blockchain effort, 
and adding my own infohash system to both the bittorrent side and blockchain.
hey Sid we're not asking for the full dump
we're just asking for last month dump every new month and that's it
if it's possible
and techtac
portable is an excellent call

and hey everyone
I wanted to ask you about this website
what is this about
http://bitcannon.io
An app much like Offlinebay. It downloads torrent indexes (like the main data behind TPB, here in CSV dump form) and let you search for torrents offline.

Theres a brief introduction here - https://github.com/Stephen304/bitcannon
(Mar 07, 2018, 12:14 pm)dear1 Wrote: [ -> ]hey Sid we're not asking for the full dump

I know
(Mar 07, 2018, 01:30 am)kiwipeso Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I would be willing to do some testing on OSX.
I do have the current version of High Sierra, and do not run the OSX betas.

I was going to mention my research project in a separate thread,
 though that is more a rewrite of Bittorrent for my blockchain effort, 
and adding my own infohash system to both the bittorrent side and blockchain.

Plan for OfflineBay was to go into blockchain. But there are major concerns. Mostly ethical concerns. As you may know TPB torrent database is well monitored and well moderated. That's why it's very clean thanks to all the mods. So my concern is that i don't want to make this tool a Hotbed for all the Scammers and pedophiles all around the world. As in disturbing things you usually find in dark web.  Confused That's why this may not move onto blockchain or any other kind of P2P DB mechanism because then we lose the ability of moderation. Also then OB steps straight into the illegal zone with that step. I know it may be a huge improvement and there maybe workarounds. But i won't be able to live with it if and when it comes to that. At the end, this tool was always meant to keep TPB alive on difficult times. It will always keep doing that. This doesn't mean that there won't be updates. Whatever facilities comes with the TPB dumps in the future, those will be integrated to OB.
I've always thinked that filesharing can not be decentralized because of this: it needs moderation.
I read many times people writing about a new tech about torrents, decentralized of course (that's the fetish idea), but I always see the same problem i.e. how to delete bad torrents.
Filesharing needs moderated sites like this one.
The idea of repository databases of moderated torrents is great. I see it mostly as an archive thing so it's not a problem not having an up to date dump, one per year would be more than good enough.
(Mar 08, 2018, 06:20 am)connor17 Wrote: [ -> ]The idea of repository databases of moderated torrents is great.
I see it mostly as an archive thing so it's not a problem not having an up to date dump, one per year would be more than good enough.

Not starting a discussion but peer services can be moderated, just need new ways to do it.
I believe yearly isn't practical; update quarterly, if not monthly, or else users will just wait for TPB to come back on-line.
@techtac

Have you considered collaborating with other like minded programmers over @MDL or some similar forum? I know a lot of talented programmers etc are active members of that forum and may be able to help in fine-tuning your work so as to bring it to a wider audience while keeping your core concerns for its abuse in mind.

Just a suggestion and thank you for your work.
(Mar 08, 2018, 16:53 pm)dueda Wrote: [ -> ]Not starting a discussion but peer services can be moderated, just need new ways to do it.
I believe yearly isn't practical; update quarterly, if not monthly, or else users will just wait for TPB to come back on-line.

"Peer services" can not be moderated, because mods are not peers, they are above peers, that's the whole point of being a mod.

If TPB is down, no dump is available, because it's down, so no new torrents. You would only have the last repository, from when TPB was not down. So if TPB is down, you don't have new torrents, with this software or without it. So if you want the last game of thrones shit and TPB is down, you wouldn't get it, with OP or without it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13