SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Do you still buy music CDs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
I always buy CDs! I prefer physical copies of my media, especially music!
Not since 2006
Short answer - yes. Longer answer: If they bothered to make the surface scratch resistant, they used a quality case not made out of plastic designed to shatter, and they (more consistently) added significant content to the pamphlet, I'd buy a heck of a lot more. These are not unreasonable requests. They never have been - since the birth of CDs. I'd also like to know a little what the mastering was like without having to hunt around on the internet first. How often am I going to be eager to pay a premium price for a fragile object that I can't trust to have quality mastering without doing online research? There going to be a lot of impulse purchases there? Nope.
I haven't bought a cd in years... Just buy and down load.... (sometimes not so buy) I feel I deserve it for alll the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent on cassettes, man those cassettes, I had thousands in boxes, when my mother died and my father brought in his "new"wife" (another story) they threw away all my shit tens of thousands of dollars I'd guess I've spent.. which is why I feel like I can torrent freely to keep my history up to date... I guess that's all I have to say for now.... love ya!!! I feel entitled to torrent whatever I can...when ever I can... Hope this makes sense...
It makes perfect sense.

I can relate the same, but with VHS tapes, DVDs, and Blu-Rays. If I'm going to buy the same movie/show again, I will expect something new for my extra money, like extras. This is why I raid secondhand stores for cheap DVDs that have extras.
the most recent cd i bought was abba greatest hits cd - great for falling asleep!
but that was a while ago when i had spare cash ,these days i dont.
i recently discovered a shitload of female fronted ,mostly symphonic metal bands uploaded by (clean Mp3) to alt.binaries.mp3 (i use nzb.is)
39 weeks ago from today - april 11 2016 - ( EXAMPLE - https://nzb.is/details/94948676b21eb13d1...37f40cbef2 )
No it's probably been ten years. I've had records, 8 tracks, cassettes, cds, and now flacs, often of the same stuff. As an earlier poster alluded to, I think I paid my dues to that industry. Besides , why store, handle, and replace them when they stop playing when the same music, often in higher resolution is on my hard drive?

Funny thing is, I've been buying vinyl again, when it's a buck or two I get adventurous and try out new stuff.
(Apr 11, 2016, 11:25 am)oldcrank Wrote: [ -> ]No it's probably been ten years. I've had records, 8 tracks, cassettes, cds, and now flacs, often of the same stuff. As an earlier poster alluded to, I think I paid my dues to that industry. Besides , why store, handle, and replace them when they stop playing when the same music, often in higher resolution is on my hard drive?

Funny thing is, I've been buying vinyl again, when it's a buck or two I get adventurous and try out new stuff.

Vinyl huh, my frien who creates house music says that's the only way to go... you can "feel" the music with vinyl (he's a DJ)

I'll buy off of Google Play, Apple and the like if I really like/want something. And I'm sad that I don't buy CD's anymore. ferchristssake the Honda Accords offer jacks for USB plugins, so no more CD's my 2008 has a 6 CD changer, so if I don't dig in my crates, they are CD's that I've burned.

Honestly... I think the last time I bought a CD was......guestimating ..... 2006???? Around there???

Pirate or legally downloading was the way I've been going since I bought my first XP computer in 2007..

8 Tracks... ahahahahah at my fathers house, if my fathers 2nd wife didn't chuck them out,..  I'd like to have them just as a keepsake...
(Feb 25, 2016, 16:56 pm)Bombarde Wrote: [ -> ]Short answer - yes. Longer answer: If they bothered to make the surface scratch resistant, they used a quality case not made out of plastic designed to shatter, and they (more consistently) added significant content to the pamphlet, I'd buy a heck of a lot more. These are not unreasonable requests. They never have been - since the birth of CDs. I'd also like to know a little what the mastering was like without having to hunt around on the internet first. How often am I going to be eager to pay a premium price for a fragile object that I can't trust to have quality mastering without doing online research? There going to be a lot of impulse purchases there? Nope.

When my band was on college radio a couple times during new releases, they had a dual cd player that played the discs inside the case.  Their was a sliding door on the back of it, which allowed the player's laser to read it similar to a floppy disc.  Every so often I would mention this, ask around about it, and search the internet, but never found anyone who knew of it or could provide a link to such a machine or it's cases.  While at the radio station we didn't have much time so it was just a, "wow that's kool, great way to solve the scratch problem" "I know huh!" and that was all on the subject.  It's been a mystery ever since.

A: The only time I ever buy CDs is when I'm at a show and usually have the artist sign it.  Or when their is an event going on such as kickstarter or some special edition deal with shirts on their website like Nine Inch Nails has done, and KMFDM has done.   I even bought the vinyl picture disc records.  Never played even once, just plan to frame it as a deco someday.  The CD never actually gets played either! hah!  I'm a big believer in technology and to me it makes no sense to have physical media except for the art.  Always thought that their should be a more intuitive and obvious file format or system to make cover art easier to view as you listen.  I liked how iTunes allowed viewing al art added to the file.  But if every music app & program did it, I'd like that.

(EDIT) Saw the previous reply said, "I think I've paid my dues" Me too! Me and my friends have bought and re-bought the same music on newer formats! I always thought someone should make a company and a law where we can buy a permanent license! I don't like buying music on iTunes, then on Amazon and so on.
It's largely a matter of what I can afford. I used to buy tons of CDs, but then medical issues caught up with my wife and myself. Even with some insurance in place, we've been hit pretty hard. So I share from my own collection, and download other content from places like TPB and individual blogs online.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20