SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Is MySQL still worth learning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious. I've been under a rock due to my other obligations (don't ask).

Is MySQL still the number one language if I want to break into web programming.?
MySQL isn't a language. It is an open source database system. It is just one option for setting up a database backend. It is a very popular option, so there is certainly no harm in learning it, however it is not absolutely necessary.

If you want to "break into web programming" then start with the browser. Browsers render HTML. Learn how to write compliant HTML first.

Presentation of HTML can be modified by using CSS. Learn that too.

Additional functionality can be added with Javascript. Add that to your list.

Those three things are key to building a user interface for whatever web app you are building.

For the server side, you can chose from a variety of scripting languages. PHP, Ruby, Python, perl, javascript, Java, and more.

For an SQL based RDBMS, you can choose from MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL and more. MongoDB is a popular alternative to the traditional options.
Thank you, kjf, for the reply.

I have graduated from college with a computer programming diploma, so I know HTML, PHP, a little Perl, and CSS.

I am currently learning more PHP.

I ask because I keep hearing that MySQL is "obsolete," or "antiquated."

Thanks again for the reply.

EDIT: I have been reading up, and found that MySQL is considered a language.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL
depends on what you need to do with it. If you just need a database, MySQL is fine. But if you intend to create a website with huge load like FAcebook, something else might be better
Like what, for example?
MySQL or MSSQL are both pretty much the same. Slight differences between the two but if you are going for sql database you will likely be using one or the other.

MSSQL is very expensive for a company to run so alot do use mysql due to it being much cheaper.

If you can use one than you can easlily use the other, although some people do use alternate database types i still think most use sql based database.

SQL is not a coding language when compared to C#, php, ruby, etc. It is a querying language, you can however do some really complex things in the query but generally isn't recommended.
Actually that is a timely question for me. I am Filemaker "Programmer" though I before I get gunned down I know there isn't much programming.
I am wanting to branch out and am studying R for front end and analysis.
I was going to sit down and start on MySql but was uncertain if it was the best thing looking forward...
Did anyone have anything worthwhile to add or did the original poster come to a conclusion?
(Feb 02, 2014, 01:13 am)RobertX Wrote: [ -> ]I have been reading up, and found that MySQL is considered a language.

It is a language . . . it just isn't a programming language. SQL is considered a database query language-- which is basically a scripting language for a family of database libraries.

kjf hits all the right points. If you know HTML and CSS then fine, move on to Ruby or PHP to learn how to do more dynamic things with your web pages, but don't be confused, SQL cannot be used to write stand-alone web applications. Think of it as one tool in the pouch.
I'll add that MySQL has its own quirks that may limit your application to being compatible with only MySQL as opposed to the larger world of SQL compatible database engines. If you are going to learn SQL, find a broader source than the MySQL documentation.

If there is ever a chance that your application may be used with a different database engine, then I'd look to using a database abstraction layer that allows you to run queries without having to consider what you are connected to.
(Feb 01, 2014, 06:02 am)RobertX Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious. I've been under a rock due to my other obligations (don't ask).

Is MySQL still the number one language if I want to break into web programming.?

I am not a programmer.

SQL stands for Structured Query Language
It is a declarative query language: you say what you want and the compiler does it in a predefined way. 

Procedural languages are the types that most programmers use.

Is it worth learning, depends what you want and what resources you have access to. As the previous comments have already indicated, SQL refers to a family of database management software that are similar. For understanding database management software SQL is a good place to start, maybe do an introduction course to see if it is relevant. 

Most programmers and webdesign people will not do any coding in SQL because this is done before the database is filled with data, unless you are writing procedures, which are like functions in other languages. 

Anyways I ended up using excel, since I didn't see the benefits of SQL, as the database grows it is becoming clear why I would want to use SQL especially if there were more users. 

Check out Lynda fundamentals of programming for the source of everything I just said. 
Pages: 1 2