SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Encryption software what to use ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im thinking to encrpt an external hard drive in case its stolen  (recent spate of  burglarys in my area & i dont see why i should provide Mr burglar with all my films ) so whats the best to use ? 

how easy is it to use ? 

if i encrypt external drives would i then not be able to watch the movies on it when i plug it  into a media player ( attached to a tv eg an Asus o play )  ? would i only be able to view stuff on it if i decrypted it by say typing in a password or something ? 

Thanks for any help
I admit I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject, but when I got my external drive it came with an auto password program, which before I even used it I had to set a password for it. So maybe yours has that too. And then anytime I want to access it I have to enter the password. Maybe you could look for something like that on yours.

I'm sort of stupid, so someone else may be able to give more help.
(Oct 29, 2016, 21:23 pm)WW3hasstarted Wrote: [ -> ]Im thinking to encrpt an external hard drive in case its stolen  (recent spate of  burglarys in my area & i dont see why i should provide Mr burglar with all my films ) so whats the best to use ? 

If you're OS is higher than Windows XP, you can use BitLocker. This tool is provided by Microsoft, and it encrypts all your data from any movable/removable devices. The process might take up to 24h, depending on the size of the disk/information you want to encrypt. You have a full, step-by-step tutorial here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...s.10).aspx

(Oct 29, 2016, 21:23 pm)WW3hasstarted Wrote: [ -> ]if i encrypt external drives would i then not be able to watch the movies on it when i plug it  into a media player ( attached to a tv eg an Asus o play )  ? would i only be able to view stuff on it if i decrypted it by say typing in a password or something ?

Yes, it would.. However, your TVs or Media Players should have the same encrypt/decrypt program/algorithm, which in our case is BitLocker. I doubt it's going to work, because BL is created specifically for Windows OS.

There are many rumors about BitLocker: that it might provide access to NSA, FBI, and I don't know what other shit..
If you ask for my opinion, I think NSA has better things to do than breaking into someone's external HDD, just to check if his/her movies are pirated, really..

Anyway, if you don't like BL, I am sure there are other ways to encrypt an external storage. You just have to google for it   Wink
I strongly recommend Bestcrypt from Jetico.com

Q: if i encrypt external drives would i then not be able to watch the movies on it when i plug it into a media player?
NO - You will only be able to watch on a PC