SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Torrent Seed Data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question on the seed count data from a technological and curiosity standpoint.

When searching for certain torrents, I have clicked on a torrent with 0 listed seeders and to my pleasant surprise the desired files have downloaded with on some occasions having as many as 6 seeders. Why is this? I understand the seed count is constantly changing but many times I have found torrents with 0 listed seeders actually having numerous seeders.
(Apr 20, 2016, 20:03 pm)homesteadjoe Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question on the seed count data from a technological and curiosity standpoint.

When searching for certain torrents, I have clicked on a torrent with 0 listed seeders and to my pleasant surprise the desired files have downloaded with on some occasions having as many as 6 seeders. Why is this? I understand the seed count is constantly changing but many times I have found torrents with 0 listed seeders actually having numerous seeders.
Torrent info is not updated in real time.  It is done incrementally in what looks to be 10 or 15 minute cycles.
With very few exceptions, torrent sites scrape traditional trackers for swarm data.

If the torrent site fails to scrape the tracker, the stats aren't updated.

If individual peers can't or don't announce to whatever tracker(s) the site is scraping, they won't be included in the numbers.

If a peer joins after one scrape and leaves before the next, they won't be included.
(Apr 20, 2016, 20:18 pm)RottenCrotch Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 20, 2016, 20:03 pm)homesteadjoe Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question on the seed count data from a technological and curiosity standpoint.

Torrent info is not updated in real time.  It is done incrementally in what looks to be 10 or 15 minute cycles.

Thank you for the reply! That definitely would make sense though I don't think an older torrent like the one I downloaded would have a seed count change that much in 10 to 15 minutes. 

(Apr 20, 2016, 20:43 pm)Moe Wrote: [ -> ]With very few exceptions, torrent sites scrape traditional trackers for swarm data.

If the torrent site fails to scrape the tracker, the stats aren't updated.

If individual peers can't or don't announce to whatever tracker(s) the site is scraping, they won't be included in the numbers.

If a peer joins after one scrape and leaves before the next, they won't be included.

Thank you so much for the very detailed explanation Moe!!! Thank you for all of the technical information. I really appreciate it Moe. The background information on tracker scaping is very helpful and interesting. That makes complete sense. Thank you Moe!