SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Personal Riff Projects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Not everyone likes ducking. Me, for instance. The constant up-down of audio is extremely annoying. Your audio levels were perfect, IMO.

I watched and enjoyed the entire movie. Some great riffs that made me laugh out loud. I'll happily watch your future endeavors.
(Apr 04, 2022, 16:36 pm)Coldyron Wrote: [ -> ]Not everyone likes ducking. Me, for instance. The constant up-down of audio is extremely annoying. Your audio levels were perfect, IMO.

I watched and enjoyed the entire movie. Some great riffs that made me laugh out loud. I'll happily watch your future endeavors.

Thank you Coldyron.  I don't like ducking either, but I thought I might be in the minority.  I guess I don't have to learn how to duck the audio if there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus in either direction.

I appreciate your kind words and am working on finishing up the "Target Earth" script.
no one needs ducking, pretty much all video software for just watching stuff like VLC come with a compressor, learn how to use basic software and don't rely on the riffer to do ALL the work for you, as tho they haven't done enough already

case in point: now here come the comment about how it’s on YouTube. SO DOWNLOAD IT
I was mistaken when I mentioned ducking. I was thinking of the mic being hot the whole time and hearing breathing etc. Please disregard my *ucking feedback.

It seems some people feel very strongly. And if you've ever seen a video of ducks mating, you wouldn't be surprised.

I liked the audio levels. I was really picking nits, thanks for taking the unsolicited suggestions so graciously.

I've now watched your work 1 1/2 times! You made me laugh out loud and I'm so grateful. I'm glad you're planning to do another, I'd totally support you if you ever started a patreon or donation deal. Congrats and thanks again, Doug.
As promised, "more".

Very glad to see some people stepping-up to the plate w/proper creative support.  Especially Coldyron & NotRichBatman.  Reiteration required: this is a first effort tackling a feature-length film.  #GutsIncorporated, so-to-speak.  The Trad-riffers (since at least 1990) have relied on shorts.  Big respect again, Helles.

Being a mic-person, Helles, I am rather astounded that what-we-heard was as good-as-it-sounded considering that you said you used a headset w/no ducking.  But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Your style does not require ducking, IMO.  Additionally, I'd like to compliment you on choosing a subgenre of film: "hot rod stuff".  Very specific, so you need to know-your-stuff & have a feel for it, versus Twitchers whom have never watched a film made before 1989.  Obviously I will hope that you choose a sci-fi/"monster" film for your next riff-project, but that's just me.

But there are some ducking "work-arounds" using inexpensive options.  They are a bit "hands-on" however.  Audio-track layers stacked, etc.  But sometimes, we want a bit of precision.

Meanwhile, very much looking forward to MeatMarket's riff, and Tardisjockey's.  If they are as good as what Helles gave us, it's gonna be a better 2022.

Helles: It Came From Outer Space will be big trouble.  As much as I'd love to see you riff that one, YT would slaughter you for it.  You'd need to upload it to Dailymotion which always has a garbage dpi for viewers but is quite lax RE copyright (That's why so many people upload to Dailymotion).  I realize that the sci-fi/monster stuff is limited, but probably better to stick w/established P.D. material like the Brain Eaters (as the Mads did), and all the riffjoints are using the same material over-and-over-again anyway. Please don't risk a copyright-strike on your YT channel.
(Apr 04, 2022, 23:19 pm)NotRichBatman Wrote: [ -> ]I was mistaken when I mentioned ducking. I was thinking of the mic being hot the whole time and hearing breathing etc. Please disregard my *ucking feedback.

It seems some people feel very strongly. And if you've ever seen a video of ducks mating, you wouldn't be surprised.

I liked the audio levels. I was really picking nits, thanks for taking the unsolicited suggestions so graciously.

I've now watched your work 1 1/2 times! You made me laugh out loud and I'm so grateful. I'm glad you're planning to do another, I'd totally support you if you ever started a patreon or donation deal. Congrats and thanks again, Doug.

NotRichBatman, thank you for the follow up.  I don't think I could get higher praise than to have somebody say that I made them laugh out loud.  I really appreciate the feedback.
Doug

(Apr 05, 2022, 00:50 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: [ -> ]As promised, "more".

Very glad to see some people stepping-up to the plate w/proper creative support.  Especially Coldyron & NotRichBatman.  Reiteration required: this is a first effort tackling a feature-length film.  #GutsIncorporated, so-to-speak.  The Trad-riffers (since at least 1990) have relied on shorts.  Big respect again, Helles.

Being a mic-person, Helles, I am rather astounded that what-we-heard was as good-as-it-sounded considering that you said you used a headset w/no ducking.  But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Your style does not require ducking, IMO.  Additionally, I'd like to compliment you on choosing a subgenre of film: "hot rod stuff".  Very specific, so you need to know-your-stuff & have a feel for it, versus Twitchers whom have never watched a film made before 1989.  Obviously I will hope that you choose a sci-fi/"monster" film for your next riff-project, but that's just me.

But there are some ducking "work-arounds" using inexpensive options.  They are a bit "hands-on" however.  Audio-track layers stacked, etc.  But sometimes, we want a bit of precision.

Meanwhile, very much looking forward to MeatMarket's riff, and Tardisjockey's.  If they are as good as what Helles gave us, it's gonna be a better 2022.

Helles: It Came From Outer Space will be big trouble.  As much as I'd love to see you riff that one, YT would slaughter you for it.  You'd need to upload it to Dailymotion which always has a garbage dpi for viewers but is quite lax RE copyright (That's why so many people upload to Dailymotion).  I realize that the sci-fi/monster stuff is limited, but probably better to stick w/established P.D. material like the Brain Eaters (as the Mads did), and all the riffjoints are using the same material over-and-over-again anyway. Please don't risk a copyright-strike on your YT channel.

SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap, I very much appreciate your feedback.  I originally recorded on Audacity and then used the video editor that comes with Windows to make the title sequence and overlay my audio onto the video.  I couldn't for the life of me get it synced up.  I ended up using Openshot to put it all together.  Much easier.

I love the old b&w movies.  I had never heard of Dailymotion.  I'm going to check it out.  I am reluctant to riff anything that was done by MST3K or Rifftrax.  I'm afraid I might be influenced, even subconsciously by what came before.  But as you point out, with the limited material, I might not have much choice if I want to keep producing material.  I have not seen The Mads take on the Brain Eaters yet.

Archive.org is a great source of PD material, but I'm sure they don't have everything in the PD.  Do you, or anybody, know of an exhaustive list of films in the PD?  IMDB has a list as does Wikipedia, but they are not comprehensive.  There is a YouTuber named Virality TeeVee.  Can I assume that all of his films are PD?  I see many familiar PD titles, but many I've also never heard of.  It seems unlikely that he has an arrangement with any copyright holders, but I could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to enjoying some new comedy by you guys!
Doug
Well, Helles, I'm glad to be of service, lol!  Audacity is perfectly functional, but I think if you wish to pursue this, you will enjoy/appreciate the "finesse" that you can achieve with Reaper even more (tho be warned; much steeper learning-curve, which is why most tikky-tokky brats avoid it).  Reaper allows you to use multiple tracks (I use it in the cases when "finesse-ducking" is required, rather than using ducking-mechanisms offered by various "wares" which frankly are not subtle-enough for RiffStuff; I think that might be part of what Coldyron referred to).

But again, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

The reason I mentioned Dailymotion is that although their resolution is "poop", they pretty much don't give a bugger about copyright.  You might be able to get away with "It Came From Outer Space" there, but I reckon YT will slam you in a split second.

As for The Brain Eaters, by the Mads/Frank & Trace, it was put up on this board a while ago, I strongly recommend you get ahold of it; it's fantastic.

All the best, keep up the GREAT work!
Helles, yes!

(Don't worry, I was already going to Hell.) No

I'm working on my riffs so only allotted myself 10 minutes to watch your riff. I. Need. To. Focus. Yes.

After ten minutes my verdict is I watched about 20 minutes. Will 100% watch the rest. Downloaded for the archive, even. Not very joke dense, and I tend to fall on the pro-ducking side because sometimes it's impossible to hear jokes over screaming/theScore/wrecks/JarJar/splosions/whatnot. All asides aside I liked it. This means nothing to anyone since I carry no cache but I'm hard to make laugh. You made me laugh twice within twenty minutes as an unknown variable. That's more than a few official RiffTrax out there and "we" have shorthand. I'll throw out there that I've written for a (shabby) newspaper and worked at 2 movie theaters, 3 libraries, and 4 video stores. Never been hungry for entertainment.

Especially now.

Thanks for making a tough crowd laugh at / with new blood.

Looking around the threads, I'm reminded that audio ducking is actually a degradation to things like Jaboody Dubs or the Harry Potter Wizard People commentaries, etc.

No hard and fast rule(s) even with personal preference(s).
(Apr 05, 2022, 21:09 pm)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Helles, I'm glad to be of service, lol!  Audacity is perfectly functional, but I think if you wish to pursue this, you will enjoy/appreciate the "finesse" that you can achieve with Reaper even more (tho be warned; much steeper learning-curve, which is why most tikky-tokky brats avoid it).  Reaper allows you to use multiple tracks (I use it in the cases when "finesse-ducking" is required, rather than using ducking-mechanisms offered by various "wares" which frankly are not subtle-enough for RiffStuff; I think that might be part of what Coldyron referred to).

But again, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

The reason I mentioned Dailymotion is that although their resolution is "poop", they pretty much don't give a bugger about copyright.  You might be able to get away with "It Came From Outer Space" there, but I reckon YT will slam you in a split second.

As for The Brain Eaters, by the Mads/Frank & Trace, it was put up on this board a while ago, I strongly recommend you get ahold of it; it's fantastic.

All the best, keep up the GREAT work!

I'll probably let the "It Came From Outer Space" script sit for a while and finish up "The Brain Eaters" and "Target Earth".  I'll definitely check out the Mads version after I publish.

Thank you for your help and encouragement!

(Apr 06, 2022, 01:50 am)Meat Trademark Wrote: [ -> ]Helles, yes!

(Don't worry, I was already going to Hell.) No

I'm working on my riffs so only allotted myself 10 minutes to watch your riff. I. Need. To. Focus. Yes.

After ten minutes my verdict is I watched about 20 minutes. Will 100% watch the rest. Downloaded for the archive, even. Not very joke dense, and I tend to fall on the pro-ducking side because sometimes it's impossible to hear jokes over screaming/theScore/wrecks/JarJar/splosions/whatnot. All asides aside I liked it. This means nothing to anyone since I carry no cache but I'm hard to make laugh. You made me laugh twice within twenty minutes as an unknown variable. That's more than a few official RiffTrax out there and "we" have shorthand. I'll throw out there that I've written for a (shabby) newspaper and worked at 2 movie theaters, 3 libraries, and 4 video stores. Never been hungry for entertainment.

Especially now.

Thanks for making a tough crowd laugh at / with new blood.

Looking around the threads, I'm reminded that audio ducking is actually a degradation to things like Jaboody Dubs or the Harry Potter Wizard People commentaries, etc.

No hard and fast rule(s) even with personal preference(s).

I know what you mean about laughing out loud.  I consider it a good Rifftrax effort if it makes me laugh out loud at least a few times.  Sometimes they don't get that from me, but it's hard to make people laugh.  As I stated earlier, saying that you laughed is the highest praise I could ever receive.  Thank you. 

What are you working on?  Any more clues?
Meat T: anytime the film-track is LOUD but needs a joke, yes, ducking. If the joke comes in a section where the sound is almost quiet/muffled, no need, so "as needs must".  Things need not be always "either-or", right?  Except in the case of Revenge of Dr. X, where the sound was so bad I really wish allowances had been made.  And seriously, please, don't inflict Beatrice Dallé on us.  (Kidding.)

Helles: Personally I'd rather see you tackle Target Earth, not just for "safety from Copyright Stasi" reasons, but also, the film just seems to suit your character and "flow" more.  Also, as proven by "This Island Earth", tackling a truly good film often cuts down on the "funny".

As time progresses and hair becomes grizzled, yes: we laugh out loud less.  I didn't laugh out loud once to Star Games, but I laughed out loud three times to Hot Rod Girl by the time I was a third-way through. I think there will always be a debate regarding "joke density" and riffers will merely have to go-on-their-gut regarding that.  Seems to be a case where riffers must choose one side of the audience, or another.  Some prefer to let the movie or tv ep or short be embraced to contextually dance w/the joke, others prefer "bam! Bam-Bam-Bam-Bam!" gatling-gun quips.

Meanwhile, for fun, some guesses as to what Meat T is working on:
Grapes of Death
She Killed in Ecstasy
Betty Blue (please God, NO!)
Night of the Hunted
La Vampire Nue
The Rites of Frankenstein

So what about the "alchemy" of it all?  Plugging things in to this-and-that, trying to gain-stage properly...

Since residents of Portland, Seattle, Austin, Bereserkely, The Bay Area in general, Santa Cruz, Austin, Modern-Brooklyn, Sydney, Melbourne, etc. don’t seem to be piping up*  (unless some of the half-dozen people on this thread hail from those areas, maybe; dunno), I thought we could broach the subject of the “tech” which “allows the art to happen”, ala riffing.

Obviously I refer to the mics, the DAWS, the interfaces, etc, maybe even other stuff (like the Triton fethead for dynamic mics & Triton’s phantom fethead for condenser mics).  Sharing knowledge/experience which might help other fans of riffing become riffers themselves.  Because no matter the quality of the video, if the audio is indecipherable, the riff is crap

* (Ironic, since those places claim to support the arts, especially indie-artists...)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13