SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Why do they kick in the screens on old TVs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for an old TV set and I thought it would be an easy task.

WRONG

I figured I could pick one up from a curb find or just one tossed in the garbage. But before I get to them there's always some twerp that damages them beyond repair.

I tried Goodwill and the other thrift stores but they don't seem to want to carry them anymore. So I've now got an ad on craigslist that I'm looking for a TV but instead of legit responses I'm getting weirdos emailing me.
Ah, so you are proceeding with the next step in the old TV/computer deal?

From what I understand, there are parts to old TVs that can be dangerous, so they have to be dismantled and the parts recycled.
(Apr 25, 2020, 13:51 pm)LZA Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so you are proceeding with the next step in the old TV/computer deal?

From what I understand, there are parts to old TVs that can be dangerous, so they have to be dismantled and the parts recycled.

Dismantled isn't smashed in with a bicycle frame or beaten up with a brick.

Oh and I"m looking for a TV because I can't find a program to make my computer do what I want.
(Apr 25, 2020, 14:17 pm)soulcity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 25, 2020, 13:51 pm)LZA Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so you are proceeding with the next step in the old TV/computer deal?

Dismantled isn't smashed in with a bicycle frame or beaten up with a brick.

Oh and I"m looking for a TV because I can't find a program to make my computer do what I want.

OH... Of you are asking why people just blatantly destroy and act like assholes... I can't help with that LOL. Kids...

The problem with old TVs is that you will struggle to get one and when they break down there's no parts for them anymore to fix them.

Nobody carries the parts that are required when you need to get it fixed which is the reason why they all disappear over time.

Even if you managed to get an old one that had survived for a long time it's most likely that one day when it breaks there's no way of getting it repaired because nobody has any parts so it cannot be repaired and is fit for the bin.

It's just the same with computers, nobody carries all those old motherboards much anymore because nobody wants them because it is old technology. It's the way the world works so you can't go against that.
If you can explain what you are trying to do, we might be able to help do it on a regular LCD screen.

Smashing an old TV CRT is an idiotic thing to do. They *implode* and can cause injury. Be aware that old TVs produce X-rays, albeit at a low level. There is alot not to like about them, and I am a bit perplexed to find any good points. From someone who even worked in TV repair!
(Apr 25, 2020, 21:21 pm)waregim Wrote: [ -> ]If you can explain what you are trying to do, we might be able to help do it on a regular LCD screen.

Smashing an old TV CRT is an idiotic thing to do. They *implode* and can cause injury. Be aware that old TVs produce X-rays, albeit at a low level. There is alot not to like about them, and I am a bit perplexed to find any good points. From someone who even worked in TV repair!

Soulcity has another thread going about being able to view a youtube/other cpu stuff and have it flicker like an old-time TV.

https://forum.suprbay.org/Thread-Is-ther...n-anlog-TV

I posted a you ube vid and Moe suggested and old CRT monitor. Is there an emulator or GUI that shows what modern computer can ook like with the old-time, flickery experience? (like an old 8 bit C64 emulator in a way)...

Op: correct me if I'm misunderstanding. Knowing OP, I believe it may be for nostalgic purposes
Unbelievable You want the Old TV. Rodney is right about them most are gone, recycled or destroyed. I have 3 of em around and Im about ready to shove them out the door. They are heavy and bulky and just a pain. So before I push em out I will try something.
I hooked up a 32 inch Durabrand and hooked a VCR to it LOL, it works but I find nothing nostalgic about it. With Exception: I do like seeing the old Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Hitchcock Presents Black and White episodes on it, that works for me otherwise its junk. The VCR Tapes are bulky and are aging out. So they are junk as well. I will have much more room soon.
(Apr 26, 2020, 13:04 pm)analogkid6103 Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelievable You want the Old TV.  Rodney is right about them most are gone, recycled or destroyed. I have 3 of em around and Im about ready to shove them out the door. They are heavy and bulky and just a pain. So before I push em out I will try something.
I hooked up a 32 inch Durabrand and hooked a VCR to it LOL, it works but I find nothing nostalgic about it. With Exception: I do like seeing the old Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Hitchcock Presents Black and White episodes on it, that works for me otherwise its junk.  The VCR Tapes are bulky and are aging out. So they are junk as well. I will have much more room soon.

I'm not given to nostalgia either, but I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of them -- particularly if they're still operable and you have some place to stick them away.  While we are not nostalgic, many people are, and items like this could be genuinely valuable in another 10 - 15 years. It's all about supply and demand.
(Apr 26, 2020, 14:21 pm)CaptButler Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not given to nostalgia either, but I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of them -- particularly if they're still operable and you have some place to stick them away.  While we are not nostalgic, many people are, and items like this could be genuinely valuable in another 10 - 15 years. It's all about supply and demand.

Exactly! There is a niche for certain things. I can imagine those old console TVs would be worth something to someone... Man I wish I kept my old toys....
Pages: 1 2