SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Trump revokes order on reporting civilian deaths in drone strikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This news report deserves more attention.

-----------------------------------------------------

Reported March 6, 2019:

President Trump on Wednesday issued an executive order revoking an Obama-era requirement to publicly report the number of U.S. drone strikes outside of war zones and the number of civilians killed by them.

The new policy does not cover Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, areas of conflict where the United States has troops currently deployed. It only applies to drone strikes carried out by intelligence operatives — i.e., the CIA. The military reports casualties separately in the theaters where it operates.

Trump’s order effectively canceled a policy, signed by President Barack Obama in July 2016, requiring U.S. officials to release “an unclassified summary of the number of strikes undertaken by the United States government outside areas of active hostilities,” as well as a related civilian casualty report by May 1 each year.

The president also revoked a section of a law, passed by Congress last year, which specified the report “shall be made available to the public unless the Secretary of Defense certifies that the publication of the report would pose a threat to the national security interests of the United States.”

Quote:“This is a shameful decision that will shroud this administration’s actions in even more secrecy with little accountability for its victims," Daphne Eviatar, Amnesty International USA's director of security with human rights, said in a statement.

“The public deserves to know how many civilians are killed by U.S. actions. This is an unconscionable decision and in complete disregard of fundamental human rights. It is incomprehensible that this vital work will be left only to human rights organizations such as ours.”

----------------------------------------------------

The US government/CIA would rather the public not know about their dark business. In particular, the number of civilians they are slaughtering every year with drone strikes.

[Image: c5fe37f6fd66cd3bcdca52b5f0bfda4c7fbcde8f.jpg]

Gina Haspel, CIA Director 2018 - Present:

[Image: 641c34f7bda5535659d625d861f9310413ac8620.jpg]

"I would not allow the CIA to undertake activity that I thought was immoral, even if it was technically legal. I would absolutely not permit it. CIA must undertake activities that are consistent with American values. America is looked at all over the world as an example to everyone else in the world and we have to uphold that."

Mike Pompeo, CIA Director January 23, 2017 - April 26, 2018, Secretary of State 2018 - Present:

[Image: 835f2b1dc9aeca6604631ed2651e106d986764e1.jpg]

“In my office, I keep a Bible open on my desk to remind me of God and his word, and the truth.” 

"My belief in Jesus Christ makes a real difference."

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-revokes-oba...17968.html