SuprBay: The PirateBay Forum

Full Version: Keep getting booted off the net--DHCP leases won't automatically renew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a new laptop last month.  Everything on it was running great until right after an October 5 Windows 10 update.  That's when I noticed that the internet icon on the taskbar said I was disconnected from the internet, but my cable modem said I was connected, although I was effectively offline.  I reset the modem several times, always with the result that I was connected.  Initially I was able to reconnect using the Windows troubleshooter, but after a few days that didn't work anymore.  Then I had to resort to computer restarts to get my internet back, but sometimes I would be back online for as little as 30 minutes.  I was having to restart my rig anywhere from one to eight times a day to keep connected.

As of early last week I had talked to six techs about this problem, four of whom were completely flummoxed, and two who were surly and completely unhelpful (they were with the manufacturer and were more salesmen than techs).  At this time, and quite on my own, I discovered simply by looking at the connection settings that I had something called a "DHCP lease" and it was due to expire in just five minutes.  Sure enough, when the expiration time arrived my rig went offline, but my modem was still online.  With this info now in hand, a tech with my ISP said the difficultly was strictly with my rig's OS and that they could do nothing.  The MS tech I am now dealing with seems as flummoxed as ever, and has nothing left to suggest but a Windows restart.  I have only done one Windows restart before when I was running XP, and it took around ten hours if I remember correctly.

Has anyone else here had this problem?  Is there anything short of a Windows restart that will get the DHCP leases to automatically renew again?  I should mention that I have already tried the "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew" commands--it doesn't work.
First it could help to inform brand, model, exact Windows version (build), and what are you running (like torrent client, anti-virus, etc).
I'm not using Win10, just kept my 7 as it's simpler. But maybe you can get rid of it by performing a system reset or even a reinstall.
(Oct 28, 2018, 11:24 am)dueda Wrote: [ -> ]First it could help to inform brand, model, exact Windows version (build), and what are you running (like torrent client, anti-virus, etc).
I'm not using Win10, just kept my 7 as it's simpler. But maybe you can get rid of it by performing a system reset or even a reinstall.

Lenovo ideapad 320

Windows 10 ver. 1803 build 17134.345

Firewall:  Windows + Tiny Wall.  AV: Panda Dome.  Clients: BitComet and an old version of uTorrent
Ok, here comes the tricky part; assuming you already did basic tests and log checks on both your router and windows logs.

DHCP lease extension requests should be in he modem-router side, but windows IPCONFIG command may shed some light, try manual flush/release/renew/set time.
Also NETSH and others, like hibernation, check this: https://www.sysprobs.com/fixed-windows-1...-from-dhcp
(Oct 29, 2018, 09:20 am)dueda Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, here comes the tricky part; assuming you already did basic tests and log checks on both your router and windows logs.

DHCP lease extension requests should be in he modem-router side, but windows IPCONFIG command may shed some light, try manual flush/release/renew/set time.
Also NETSH and others, like hibernation, check this: https://www.sysprobs.com/fixed-windows-1...-from-dhcp
Many thanks for the info.  I am downloading a Windows repair disk currently.  If it doesn't work, I will definitely try these (and will preserve them somewhere even if it does).

My most recent workaround is to use the "ipconfig/release" command.  This instantly boots me off the net.  Then I do an immediate restart.  The shortest lease I have gotten this way is 12.5 hours, so it keeps the restarts down to one or two a day.