Yet Another Naming Question
First of all, TVDB sucks.  We all know that.  I do, though, want Plex to scrape everything correctly.  I've resisted converting over to their naming convention, but I'm about ready to give in, except...  For those of you that use this method, what do you do with the items that TVDB leaves out (such as the Mike solo riff of Carnival of Souls).  Do you just throw them into a different folder and name it "Misc" or something similar?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
[attachment=2461 Wrote:itsizz pid='305777' dateline='1592019633']First of all, TVDB sucks.  We all know that.  I do, though, want Plex to scrape everything correctly.  I've resisted converting over to their naming convention, but I'm about ready to give in, except...  For those of you that use this method, what do you do with the items that TVDB leaves out (such as the Mike solo riff of Carnival of Souls).  Do you just throw them into a different folder and name it "Misc" or something similar?

I use Sonarr to manage mine.  Its all unmonitored so I add files manually, but it works great for renaming and then Plex does metadata.  Occasionsally someone will screw something up on TVDB for a short time but my library is perfect.

If you have random stuff that's not in one of the 6 official seasons, check season 00 (Specials) cause it may be there. I don't have too much of anything that doesn't fit somewhere.

I keep a separate Plex movie library that scrapes metadata from TheMovieDB. I only use TVDB naming for the shorts and the specials.
Yes, The TVDB is hot garbage, things are out of order and missing, and it's totally haphazard and inconsistent since, officially, it isn't even a real "TV show", so it's poorly maintained, if you can call anything on TVDB "maintained". So I stopped using it years ago for Rifftrax.

Since I mostly use Kodi but have to rarely use Plex, I've created custom NFO files in proper chronological order, adding all the important missing things, and making better seasons, then added an old, abandoned plugin to Plex that allows it to pull in Kodi-style NFO files, which mostly works properly.
Those solo commentaries from the beginning i name 000a, 000b, 000c, etc. not sure if that helps but it works .... also I recently switched to EMBY and actually prefer it over Plex (which I had for a long time)
(Jun 12, 2020, 23:40 pm)itsizz Wrote: First of all, TVDB sucks.  We all know that.  I do, though, want Plex to scrape everything correctly.  I've resisted converting over to their naming convention, but I'm about ready to give in, except...  For those of you that use this method, what do you do with the items that TVDB leaves out (such as the Mike solo riff of Carnival of Souls).  Do you just throw them into a different folder and name it "Misc" or something similar?

"Carnival of Souls (Mike Nelson Solo)", is S00E35 in TVDB (season zero, aka "Specials", episode 35). As ee5150 pointed out, everything weird is under Specials/Season 0 for RiffTrax.
Great thread itsizz. I've been using TVDB for now and I agree it's a mess. I was just thinking about starting a thread about how people organize their collections. Looks like you beat me to it.

For now, I have a spreadsheet that I keep with any and all episodes. I follow the TVDB naming and organization because it works best with Plex but have my spreadsheet as a backup if there are duplicates or something doesn't seem right on TVDB
I've been naming files according to the TVDB mainly because I only care about importing to Kodi and it's less of a headache when my db gets corrupted or I switch primary devices or whatever. But I've never been happy about it and I want to start doing custom .nfo files but the task seems daunting. Around 750 entries to do (I don't keep many iRiffs around). I've tried starting with the .nfo files exported by Kodi but still, it's a lot of editing. Ideally I'd do something like this, having separate "shows":

Code:
Rifftrax
  Season 01 (2006-2007)
  Season 02 (2008-2009)
Rifftrax Shorts
  Season 01 (2007-2009)
Rifftrax Presents

You get the idea. Maybe just one year per season instead of two. It'd be a lot nicer, in my opinion, to have <50 episodes per season for navigation's sake.

To give TVDB some credit, they've been around almost as long as Rifftrax, and I doubt they figured when creating the Rifftrax season layout that it would span all these years and have thousands of entries. Early on, season 4 was for Hor-riff-ic riffs and there was no 5 or 6. It probably made sense at the time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about Lost Boys 2 JusSonic 0 801 Feb 17, 2024, 02:39 am
Last Post: JusSonic
  Shorts naming convention? Knightshade 6 3,074 Oct 12, 2023, 20:26 pm
Last Post: Meat Trademark
  Night Of The Living Dead Question... DevilGerbil 19 33,161 Aug 13, 2023, 17:53 pm
Last Post: thuggjim
  A technical question KinoQueen13 2 3,761 Jul 20, 2023, 22:04 pm
Last Post: KinoQueen13
  Plex question sarlacc222 4 6,331 Sep 18, 2022, 20:38 pm
Last Post: sarlacc222