Windows Updates break VPN connections
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/mi...nnections/
Very short extract:
Quote:Microsoft has confirmed that the April 2024 Windows security updates break VPN connections. 
The list includes Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2008 and later...

Currently no easy fix but one can uninstall the updates via DISM and a lot of work...

(this sampler posted for quick reference and preservation) 
You could also check if your router support VPN connections.
Or just switch to linux Smile
(May 03, 2024, 14:46 pm)heroskeep Wrote: You could also check if your router support VPN connections.

That would be good.

(May 03, 2024, 19:58 pm)ill88eagle Wrote: Or just switch to linux Smile

Aren't most routers nowadays just a mini-Linux-in-a-box thingy? 

Don't wanna derail the thread, but to avoid all this "MS broke my PC again" update thing:

To be honest, it's best not to give Windows direct access to any network, just use a hardened router.

Just safer and simpler to set it to VPNize and sterilize all traffic? Like removing all MAC/IPv6 and other fingerprint/tracking? Muting Windows Update calls?
Last one I had was like that, one just needed to fill in VPN address and password, put MS' addresses in a block list, check some options, and done. 

I just didn't because I'm lazy and just do silly stuff (like playing torrent games and browsing this forum). And that's the issue with Windows, people are potatoes and don't block the darn thing. 

So another simple solution would be to install a privacy tool to keep updates off.
I can confirm that I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 and no updates have broken anything on my system.  The VPN is working 100% perfectly, not sure what this article is all about I'm guessing it's clickbait, probably something of nothing or maybe just the people involved are inexperienced at what they do.  Should have listened to a lot of my advice many months ago but I guess they missed the posts...oh well life goes on I guess..
(May 04, 2024, 10:26 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: The VPN is working 100% perfectly...
maybe just the people involved are inexperienced...  
Should have listened to a lot of my advice many months ago but I guess they missed the posts...

It could help to add some details, maybe quote those posts. 
After all, most users aren't experienced; don't know what they are carelessly doing - as the dueda Rolleyes above, many just mash the mouse.
I did have a weird quirk with my ExpressVPN... Once you connected all would fail and the internet connection would crash.

I went to the control programs and the uninstall section. Instead of uninstalling I clicked the "repair" option on the VPN. and everything went back to normal. Using VPN now AAMOF
(May 04, 2024, 10:26 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: I can confirm that I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 and no updates have broken anything on my system.  The VPN is working 100% perfectly, not sure what this article is all about I'm guessing it's clickbait, probably something of nothing or maybe just the people involved are inexperienced at what they do.  Should have listened to a lot of my advice many months ago but I guess they missed the posts...oh well life goes on I guess..

Oh, you must be so lucky to not be experiencing the issues that affect those of us on the current versions of Windows 10/11. Clearly, common sense must not be so common after all, since you seem unable to see that others are facing these problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I said this a few months ago but probably not many people bothered to read it.  It is not the Windows updates it's the Anti-Virus companies that are stopping certain VPNs from working and the reason why is because they don't want you to use the VPN of your choice they are wanting you to have theirs instead because they are desperate for the business.  I pointed this all out back in 2023 when it initially started happening for the first time.  Microsoft Windows updates haven't got anything to do with it, at all, it's all down to business and making money and that's all.  The reason why I pointed out it was a clickbait link and not to be taken seriously.  Some of you really need to pull your head out of your arse and wake up more...  Living in a daydream is not always the best place to be.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another VPN flaw WW3hasstarted 0 288 May 07, 2024, 07:31 am
Last Post: WW3hasstarted
  How Attackers Can Decloak Routing-Based VPNs For a Total VPN Leak! lustrous 0 5,054 May 06, 2024, 18:26 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Would I be safe downloading this torrent without a vpn? Ladyanne3 12 3,207 Dec 31, 2023, 09:51 am
Last Post: CaptButler
  VPN flaw found WW3hasstarted 8 5,202 Aug 15, 2023, 02:14 am
Last Post: ggde24n
  forced VPN michaelrex1 3 5,234 Jun 28, 2023, 01:14 am
Last Post: RobertX