When did the brownshirts take over?
(Sep 07, 2020, 12:26 pm)TrumpIsALoser8746513 Wrote:
(Sep 04, 2020, 09:55 am)Moe Wrote: It's funny how people run to censorship as the solution to every issue they disagree with.  And how they also equate allowing something's existance with promoting the same.

The solution is education, but that is too much work for some people.

That's a pretty horrific position for a mod. Racism and bigotry is't something to debate about, its very clear that its awful. Hate Speech is banned in most countries for a reason, as its the limit of freedom of speech. There are soo many hate crimes and murders of non white people etc and it starts with these conspiracy theories and racist bs.

I find your support of censorship pretty horrific.

No one is debating racism or bigotry in this thread.  We are debating censorship.  There is a very big difference.

Hate speech is not banned in most countries.  Hate crimes are an entirely different thing.  Those that try to regulate speech are generally making things worse, not better.

No one is downloading propaganda from TPB and becoming a racist.  They are downloading it because they are racists.  They didn't learn that from TPB.  They learned that at home.

It is a little dated, but feel free to swap in whatever position or view you think should be silenced:

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/one-un-american-act Wrote:It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies. We need all the ingenuity we possess to avert the holocaust.

The task of keeping our civil liberties alive is not an easy one in troubled times like these. But I believe our civilization will supply the necessary men. The people need leadership that makes a virtue of courage, of conviction and freedom of expression.

The pre-eminent problem of this age is the invention of new institutions, new political methods for aligning the people of the world in a true crusade for freedom. The ingenuity will be lacking if fear of Communism shrinks the world of ideas to one school of thought, to one point of view. Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.
(Sep 07, 2020, 16:42 pm)Moe Wrote:
(Sep 07, 2020, 12:26 pm)TrumpIsALoser8746513 Wrote:
(Sep 04, 2020, 09:55 am)Moe Wrote: It's funny how people run to censorship as the solution to every issue they disagree with.  And how they also equate allowing something's existance with promoting the same.

The solution is education, but that is too much work for some people.

That's a pretty horrific position for a mod. Racism and bigotry is't something to debate about, its very clear that its awful. Hate Speech is banned in most countries for a reason, as its the limit of freedom of speech. There are soo many hate crimes and murders of non white people etc and it starts with these conspiracy theories and racist bs.

I find your support of censorship pretty horrific.

No one is debating racism or bigotry in this thread.  We are debating censorship.  There is a very big difference.

Hate speech is not banned in most countries.  Hate crimes are an entirely different thing.  Those that try to regulate speech are generally making things worse, not better.

No one is downloading propaganda from TPB and becoming a racist.  They are downloading it because they are racists.  They didn't learn that from TPB.  They learned that at home.

It is a little dated, but feel free to swap in whatever position or view you think should be silenced:

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/one-un-american-act Wrote:It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies. We need all the ingenuity we possess to avert the holocaust.

The task of keeping our civil liberties alive is not an easy one in troubled times like these. But I believe our civilization will supply the necessary men. The people need leadership that makes a virtue of courage, of conviction and freedom of expression.

The pre-eminent problem of this age is the invention of new institutions, new political methods for aligning the people of the world in a true crusade for freedom. The ingenuity will be lacking if fear of Communism shrinks the world of ideas to one school of thought, to one point of view. Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.
I feel like you're being disingenuous. Racist behaviour is learnt through racist material ie racist documentaries. Hate speech is banned in europe and most of the west. I mean the far right are still active here but its nowhere near as bad as the states.  One thing I've noticed is the people that scream "freedom of speech" in the face of someone calling out fascism are usually those sympathetic to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The most over-rated movie(s) workerbee 58 152,620 Dec 11, 2021, 05:33 am
Last Post: pr2583191
  Your take on movie samples? dueda 18 39,471 Apr 16, 2018, 19:48 pm
Last Post: SpunkyMcMunkey