What is a Practical Remedy to Computer Deadlocks
(Apr 27, 2019, 00:02 am)RobertX Wrote: One of my computers has Windows 2000, and ends up happening is that when I load a game, namely Diablo II, the game would freeze.

This isn't a simple stop error (a.k.a. Blue Screen of Death), the computer would just stop operating; no mouse movement, no keyboard reaction, no Control, Alt, Delete. I had to put the power button hard to shut it off and put it back on. And then when I load Diablo II again, it does the same thing.

This is what they call "deadlock." Has anyone here experienced this?

When I Googled, the explanation I got was that it is the result of drivers or code coinciding with each other. I have had this problem before, but I don't know how I got rid of the problem. How did you guys do it? When I see the word "driver," I get the idea that updating my drivers seems to be a good one. What do you think?

Getting desperate.

Four Essential and Ample Requirements for Deadlock:
  • Mutual exclusion. The resources included must be unshareable; unless, the processes wouldn't be blocked from using the resource when required.
  • Hold and wait or partial allocation.
  • No pre-emption.
  • Resource waiting or orbicular wait.
The above appears to be programmatic.
In the OP case it is a well tested software game.

And games are notorious are causing #5: overheating.
Especially when the machine runs 'normally' otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  >> Computer turn off computerhack 41 37,973 Sep 26, 2022, 07:06 am
Last Post: computerhack
  Windows 7 gets error when used to copy files to or from a Linux computer RobertX 18 43,793 Aug 22, 2022, 15:44 pm
Last Post: Slow Mo
  Dell computer experiencing POST problems RobertX 12 35,518 Jul 14, 2016, 03:54 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Funds sought for tiny £6 computer LowOrbit 0 14,641 May 11, 2015, 13:27 pm
Last Post: LowOrbit
  Redesign for Raspberry Pi computer Scrumptious 0 13,330 Jul 14, 2014, 04:19 am
Last Post: Scrumptious