What a cunning Trojan!
Probably too late for advice, but I would also contact western union and inform them about the situation so they can block the withdrawal or better yet wait for the scammer with the police.

It's good to have separate OS for banking, dual boot with linux or at least live cd/usb.
Not so convenient but much safer.
(Jan 16, 2018, 06:27 am)Mr.Masami Wrote: Probably too late for advice, but I would also contact western union and inform them about the situation ...

I did and they have replied ...

[Image: P7DwEQK.jpg]

Quote:Upon reviewing the online account we can see that transactions were made under it.

Well that is worrying, I wonder if someone else has already lost money.

Edit: just called WU customer services, they acted right away ...

[Image: Ul3DzUv.jpg]
(Jan 15, 2018, 08:52 am)joew771 Wrote:
(Jan 13, 2018, 19:52 pm)politux Wrote: ...

+1 and "what is it a 'trusted' source?" My mom once gave me a false dollar bill she got out of trusting, but I still trust her... just not for dollars.

One size doesn't fit all. I like Windows' ease, I know it has faults but even using a unheard-off, laboratory-grade OS won't save me from [insert whatever here]...

Now [insert whatever here] do exist and like disease and other humans, we gotta live with it.
Using a VM was mentioned earlier. If run a VM to verify ANY download. Run SandBoxie within the VM. Also, disable network adapters both on host and VM.

Finally, always snapshot VM on virgin install. Malicious code can run through network shares between host and VM, NATing etc. Be smart Wink
(Jan 13, 2018, 19:52 pm)politux Wrote: Mistakes:
1) Using Windows
2) Downloading and extracting a rar file from a non trusted source
3) Assuming PDF doesn't have executable code
4) Clicking on unnecessary nested folders.

How do you use the Microsoft Edge browser without using Windows?
(Dec 16, 2018, 21:26 pm)neanderthal Wrote: How do you use the Microsoft Edge browser without using Windows?

You thought I was serious about using Edge?  Microsoft just discontinued their own shit browser. I was mocking them.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18125...e-chromium
None of those 4 suggestions really make sense.
(Dec 17, 2018, 02:39 am)neanderthal Wrote: None of those 4 suggestions really make sense.

If he hadn't done #1 he wouldn't be vulnerable to malware designed for windows. It's pretty simple to those with working brains.
That's like saying if you don't use a car, you won't have to worry about getting in an accident.  Just walk everywhere from now on.
(Dec 17, 2018, 02:53 am)neanderthal Wrote: That's like saying if you use a car, you won't have to worry about getting in an accident.  Just walk everywhere from now on.

If only there was an alternative to windows....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trojan analysis from the recent wave of fakes w4r3zh4ck 0 8,453 Aug 22, 2014, 10:15 am
Last Post: w4r3zh4ck