Video Compression
Hey Guyss and Gal's

I've recently download 138gb worth of a tv series and wanted to see if I could make that number at bit smaller

I was just wondering if anyone had any info about video compression, like what programs the best and how to keep the quality still good.  

or if there any links to anyone elce post please feel free to link me

Cheers.
Did you try HEVC/H265?

It's pretty high-end, but I recall people saying that it does compress a little better.

Sorry if it doesn't; I'll Google something.
I use Video to Video for my compression work.  It's freeware, which you can get here: http://www.videotovideo.org/
I usually use mp4 avc/h264 for the container, set the frame at 854x480, and the bitrate at 1500 kbps(V), 192 kbps(A).  The results are consistently quite good and the program runs reasonably fast.  I think you will like it.   Smile
(Apr 08, 2019, 08:13 am)freeworld305 Wrote: I've recently download 138gb worth of a tv series and wanted to see if I could make that number at bit smaller.

Gigabytes itself don't mean much. If you download 10 episodes worth 130 GB, that's 13 GB each; if you got 1000 episodes, only 0.13 GB each.
Also the file size won't tell much about the video resolution (in pixels, width x height), frame rate (in FPS), and bit rate (in KBps or Kbps, note the difference).

Once you find out the desired frame aspect, dimensions, data throughput, then select file format and encoding parameters.

Lemme tell that there's a lot of discussion around here (and all the Internet) about what is better. Suffice to say, some lousy encoders can't do decent videos with HEVC no matter how big their files are, while I've seen some unbelievable good movies in 1/10 the size, with older codecs and worse res/fps.

The most important lesson I learned by experience: Don't be cheapo and don't hurry: Use double-pass encoding and trial-and-error dozens of times until you find out the best parameters and format options for your ambitions. And remember the people watching won't have the same hardware (monitor) as you: If you encode for large 60" Ultra-Wide displays, it's a big file no matter what you try... If you encode for a 10" tablet, it's a whole different thing.

Last, but not least: Re-encoding an encoded video will always have poorer results than encoding from the source material. Copy of a copy = lucky at best.

Note:

I'm not talking about RobertX, just any codec, even HEVC x265, won't have good results without know-how. Also some people consider the older x264 better.
perhaps you could save some space by chopping off start and end (if those are redundant). and commercials, if there are any.
you'd have to sync the subtitles though (if you use them).

hevc, as mentioned, should be best choice at least for high res.
i'd use ffmpeg, in cli or some gui (handbrake).

i have the same problem but think it might not be worth (CPU) time, given hdd prices.

btw, if those series are valuable to you, consider archiving them on bluray, it should fit on 6 of them.
bluray are cheaper per Gb nowadays, but not as cheap as large hdd though.