VPN help question
When you turn computer off, does the vpn disconnect before you shut down completely and leave room for your privacy to be exposed when shutdown is activated?

Say you was using torrent and downloading, then you shut the pc down while connected to the vpn and the torrent wasnt stopped, is there a possibility of exposure of data? I would guess it would have to depend on the shutdown process, but i am not sure.
You shouldn't be relying on your OS to shut things down in any particular order.

Either stop the client before shutting down, or use a client the binds to the VPN interface so there is no chance for it to make connections outside of the VPN.
It is always a good idea to turn off the VPN before shutdown so it can restore the default connection for the next reboot. Else you mayl mysteriously lose your internet connection.

Its an even better idea to *bind* the VPN to the tap/tun connection. Some torrent clients, like qbittorrent allow for this. Transfer ceases when the VPN connection is interrupted.
You should turn off the VPN before shutdown.
run 3
(Jun 08, 2020, 00:52 am)waregim Wrote: It is always a good idea to turn off the VPN before shutdown so it can restore the default connection for the next reboot. Else you mayl mysteriously lose your internet connection.

Its an even better idea to *bind* the VPN to the tap/tun connection. Some torrent clients, like qbittorrent allow for this. Transfer ceases when the VPN connection is interrupted.

I'm hoping I can ask this question here. I've been researching and watching videos on how to bind my VPN Unlimited with qbittorrent but most sites are not using exactly what I am so I am getting very confused and frustrated. I didn't think I was this dumb! I am running qBittorrent v4.3.5 (64-bit) on MacOS 11.4, VPN Unlimited 8.3.2. I set up a Manual Configuration but not certain how to input that info in qBittorrent under Connection - Proxy Server. Do you have any suggestions? thank you thank you thank you!
4.3 sux, but I was accidentally updated to it .

Tools/options/advanced/

In Network Interface, pick (latest) Local Area Connection (might be different for Mac)
Yhen underneath choose the VPN connection. It will be recognizable by having anaddress like 10.7.4.2, or something having a local network IP but NOT 127.0.0.1! (Unlikely to see that though)

If your VPN uses the same server, it should remember it. BUT if you change servers you will have to reconfigure it to that new IP. It will not do it automagicaally.

v4.3.x seems to want you to turn off qbittorrent, and then back on to start finding DHT nodes. Dunno whyy.
(Jun 14, 2021, 00:43 am)waregim Wrote: 4.3 sux, but I was accidentally updated to it .

Tools/options/advanced/

In Network Interface, pick (latest) Local Area Connection (might be different for Mac)
Yhen underneath choose the VPN connection. It will be recognizable by having anaddress like 10.7.4.2, or something having a local network IP but NOT 127.0.0.1! (Unlikely to see that though)

If your VPN uses the same server, it should remember it. BUT if you change servers you will have to reconfigure it to that new IP. It will not do it automagicaally.

v4.3.x seems to want you to turn off qbittorrent, and then back on to start finding DHT nodes. Dunno whyy.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into what you suggested. For now I went back to Vuze under Sahara since it quit working for me under Big Sur.
Dunno anything about macs, but generally if you get a problem with Vuze, its really a problem with Java. You may need to set JAVAPATH to an older version, such as 7 or 8 with it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would I be safe downloading this torrent without a vpn? Ladyanne3 12 2,666 Dec 31, 2023, 09:51 am
Last Post: CaptButler
  torrent compression/archive question the_munitor 6 2,187 Nov 22, 2023, 02:46 am
Last Post: the_munitor
  VPN flaw found WW3hasstarted 8 4,667 Aug 15, 2023, 02:14 am
Last Post: ggde24n
  forced VPN michaelrex1 3 4,936 Jun 28, 2023, 01:14 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Do you think this torrent is safe to download without a VPN ? Ladyanne3 10 8,712 May 15, 2023, 03:33 am
Last Post: Ladyanne3