University project:virtual ethnography: Digital pirates
Dear pirates, business modernizers/revolutionaries or free-riders, i am doing research for an University course in which we have to find out how communities (virtual) work, how you do what you are doing.( i checked already a few links with statements, however the research is more interested in direct reply from individuals. My questions are:

1# How do you perceive yourself when you download or upload Digital material which has a copyright? (How do you justify your actions)

2# How do you think current business models (buy prior to quality check of product) are related to torrent users? can you be seen as a ''business revolutionary''? .

3# How do you perceive free-riders, is it accepted on a normative base? ( people that download but don't buy the product if the quality is good)
1. I don't know. I don't see myself as a hero or a cheapskate. I do know that I have high respect for uploaders, but it doesn't make me a hero. I suppose that there is no justification of actions, anymore than there is justification in blindly buying stuff left and right and bragging about it. I guess it's a human thing.

2. I think business models should change their thinking. Piracy is here to stay, and those who won't change will not stay. Perhaps there should be a customers' union and they would talk to the businessmen to hammer out a deal. Wait, there probably is, and the unions are on the same sides as businessmen.

3. I don't know where the thinking that you should get anything for free comes from, but I have no objecition for that kind of thinking either. Christians and Buddhists mostly tell us to care for each other. These "free riders," as you eloquently put it, can contribute if the world was different. They can give accurate feedback, contribute code... wait wait wait: that's for open source software... that does happen! There aren't exactly free-riders, but they contribute and that doesn't necessarily involve money. Please refer to Paul Lutus, a former member of NASA and a man that makes software on his free time: http://arachnoid.com/careware/

Here's a quote:

Quote:Sometimes money is not the best way to convey value.  And sometimes money is so completely inappropriate that it destroys the transaction..

Well, that's what I think. Good luck on your research and have a great day.
1. What a poorly though out and just plain stupid question.

When I walk into a movie theatre, to pay to see "Spectre" or whatever I don't go through an internal dialog with myself every time. "So, I want to see Spectre eh? What do I think that makes me? How do I justify my desires and intentions?" Nor do you. Why do you pretend to imagine I would or should do so when I download something?

When I lend my chainsaw to my brother so he can stock up on firewood for winter I don't ask myself whether I'm being a bastard, depriving the shareholders of the Stihl company of the income to buy firewood that they would receive if I instead told my brother to fuck off and buy his own.

I share. It's what normal people do. It's not something I think about, it is what I have done since I was a toddler and my parents made me share my toys with my brother/cousins/any other kids whose parents were visiting even if I didn't like them.

Why not ask Hollywood how they can justify spending $245 million dollars on one movie when they claim file sharing is crippling them?

2. The relationship between current business modes and torrent users is that the latter are not enticed by the former, and the profiteers of the former refuse to accommodate the latter for fear that doing so will expose their obsolescence.

Nobody who downloads, and most of those who upload are not "business revolutionaries", they're merely consumers who are not being satisfied elsewhere.

3. I perceive the term as derogatory, and indicative of your bias. In any case, homo sapiens have not evolved significantly in the last decade--since the creation of the bittorrent protocol--so the "normative base" of human behavior has not changed in that time. There is nothing new or unusual here.

There have always been people who create, people who exploit and people who consume. The balance between them shifts as technology evolves but it generally follows the same pattern. Someone creates something, someone [else] perceives an opportunity to make the new thing more widely available. Some people like the thing. Over time, the middleman grows and prospers at the relative expense of both creators and consumers. Whenever the chance arises, both of those parties attempt end-runs to free themselves from exploitation. Wherever possible, the middlemen seek to protect their entrenched positions by blocking the end runs. Eventually, the middlemen are overrun.

[Unlike others here, I can see that you are using a gmail address, even though you are paying for an education and your University no doubt provides you with an email account. What does that make you? Do you think you're being radical? Why are you free-riding? How do you justify scorning something you have paid for in favor of something you are not paying for?]
I'll be as direct as possible:

1. We enjoy it

2. We are not business revolutionary. We are not rich as other people may think. We have 0 profit when we share stuff because other people download from our PC/SeedBox (which, btw, we pay for it). So, technically, we do all the hard dirty job for our users FOR FREE. The only way we can face the costs is by adding ads to our websites or by donations.

3. You may want to check this post: https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Introdu...#pid124518
The last article of Rick Falkvinge in torrentfreak comes handy here:
https://torrentfreak.com/copyright-indus...ty-151129/

It's about privacy, and freedom, and culture. But i guess you don't know what all that is you little troll.
OP, please read this if you want more help: https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Filesharing-Surveys

Again, good luck in making a wonderful research paper without bias or otherwise irresponsible journalism.
(Nov 30, 2015, 17:53 pm)RobertX Wrote: OP, please read this if you want more help: https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Filesharing-Surveys

Again, good luck in making a wonderful research paper without bias or otherwise irresponsible journalism.

Thank you  Smile  for your help guys. PS: i used Free-rider in a socio-economic sense, in this case when a private good become a public good which could lead to the-free riding problem. And i surely will try my best not to become overly pro-torrent in my paper. However the argument for me to Use torrents is that as a student it can save alot of money and that the industry did not find an alternative to supply all people. dead weight loss should be prevented at all cost i think, and i my opinion any torrent is just filling the gap of that dead weight loss.
To be quite truthful.

I have no Idea what you are talking about.

I come here to share ideas on the word "Penis".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Veritas goes after the vaccine Ladyanne3 23 32,749 Sep 28, 2021, 14:37 pm
Last Post: LadyAnn
  FELLO PIRATES IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOU BITCOIN iammikelarry 2 18,532 Apr 28, 2021, 09:25 am
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker
  Amazon patent to track pirates WW3hasstarted 4 11,598 Nov 22, 2020, 19:09 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Research Study on Digital Piracy Psyva 14 21,998 Apr 02, 2020, 03:50 am
Last Post: centaur2469
  How do i rip digital manga/comics? noturaverageweeb 3 13,040 May 16, 2019, 09:32 am
Last Post: Q91