Torrent Dying?
Hi,
Anyone still remembers Napster/eDonkey/eMule? Yeah the good old times.  Big Grin
When i saw people switching to torrent i saw the writing on the wall what would happen in the further. Sad
I also never really understood why people switched for a decentralized mass file sharing program to a centralized single file sharing program.
Now most Torrent sites have be taken down and the once left are index spam sites and around 2 restrictive torrent upload sites.

I'm also finding less and less stuff on torrent for example the leaked GTA6 videos. To find those i had to go to Telegram. Rolleyes
Looks like the file sharing community have shot themselves in both feet.  Confused

Lets hope someone restarts something like eMule with an separate optional Tor network option. Heart
I don't know, it wasn't too long ago that Game of Thrones was pirated heavily and the creators didn't really kick up a fuss.

Maybe they're not trying anymore either.

To be honest, it's the idea that doesn't go away. Maybe we don't need pirated stuff as much as we did long time ago.

I have no cable TV plan myself, I usually just raid the library to watch TV episodes and movies.

If there is a commodity in high demand, we'll start again, as I'm sure.

But for me, getting a few walks on the treadmill is more appealing than watching the latest Marvel movie.

Stay tuned.

EDIT: You know, to come to think of it, there is one thing that is of high demand, and that is new operating systems.

Just a few days ago, I discovered that you upload a shitload of edited Windows ISOs, and I'm sure that will help many people for years to come.

Keep up the good work, and let me tell you, you are useful! Maybe the torrent scene is not dying after all.
(Oct 01, 2022, 19:50 pm)LuxLOL Wrote: Hi,
Anyone still remembers Napster/eDonkey/eMule? Yeah the good old times.  Big Grin
When i saw people switching to torrent i saw the writing on the wall what would happen in the further. Sad
I also never really understood why people switched for a decentralized mass file sharing program to a centralized single file sharing program.
Now most Torrent sites have be taken down and the once left are index spam sites and around 2 restrictive torrent upload sites.

I'm also finding less and less stuff on torrent for example the leaked GTA6 videos. To find those i had to go to Telegram. Rolleyes
Looks like the file sharing community have shot themselves in both feet.  Confused

Lets hope someone restarts something like eMule with an separate optional Tor network option. Heart

I personally did not think all that much of Napster it was very limited the time it was here, more the problem was that internet was too slow at the time and it was virtually impossible to download anything.  eDonkey and eMule you can keep them, a very highly and bad ran system where files were littered with lots of infected files which did a lot of harm.  The current torrent system is much better and much better design.  To be fair to your comment I know you are just writing about something but in all honestly I really don't see what you're saying and as far as what I can see I have seeded huge amounts myself.  There are people out there who are downloading all the time so I don't really see the community as being 'dead' I would say that there's lots of popularity when it comes to downloading.  I would also say that with public torrents people do cut and run and that is a shame but other than that I guess people just download quite often and all the time.  With me being one of the biggest uploaders on TPB and maybe I am actually the biggest out there I would say that in most situations the amount of seeding that I'm doing there is always people who want to download and that's exactly what I'm doing and what I believe in.  I have no problem at all getting the content out there and obviously thanks to the staff here at this forum and also TPB for putting this platform here and making things accessible for people like me and anybody else who wants to use it.

I can't say that from experience that I have seen anybody or any kind of community actually shooting themselves in both feet I would say that you're making a subjective statement in that sense.  If you have the right content and the right kind of seeding power you can go far here which is exactly what goes on.  Okay the seeding stats have lots of issues but you have to learn to look past those stats to see the biggest picture.  If you're prepared to put the content out there then there's a massive scope for getting things happening it just depends on if you're actually serious about what you're doing.
I'm finding less on torrent than back in the old days. I think it's because torrent sites where everyone can upload don't really exit anymore and because some countries send you a waring if you downland some Movies or Songs.
Even on TPB in the old days everyone could upload files and also comment on torrents. eMule had even a desterilized Rating and Commend system. If i look back then the P2P community is going backwards.  Confused
That's the thing with life, LuxLOL, you need to cherish every moment as it passes, because that moment may not come again.

That being said, I'm still pirating. Torrenting, while important, is not the end all and be all for piracy.
The way I see it, piracy (and thus, general torrenting culture) as we know will change in a huge way, especially for software/games.

More and more media is shifting away from local downloads, and instead are on a live service. Archival of such media could prove to be a challenge, since how do you archive something like Google Docs? Not only that, but for video game DRMs such as Denuvo, there's less and less crackers coming to release the game for the public.

I am hopeful nothing bad will happen (and I will fully admit I'm not exactly the most well-versed in this subject matter), but I am beginning to worry on being able to access media in the future.

Still, I do not believe that torrenting itself will die: current torrents will go on, just that the future of torrenting do not inspire confidence in me. Not only that, media that does not subscribe to future DRM/proprietary formats can still be torrented as usual. We'll see
The future is always unknown and unwritten.

Nothing's "dying," it's life.
I'm not sure if future looks good if people accept this cloud based utopia.  Confused “You will own nothing, and you will be happy” = “You will rent everything, and own nothing”.
Torrent unfortunately is reliant on Websites that was okay in the past but now it becomes more and more difficult to hosting such websites.
We only have to look what TPB  had to go true in the past few years. Sad
(Oct 05, 2022, 03:04 am)LuxLOL Wrote: I'm not sure if future looks good if people accept this cloud based utopia.  Confused “You will own nothing, and you will be happy” = “You will rent everything, and own nothing”.

This is exactly the reason why you shouldn't subscribe and pay money to Netflix, in my opinion I think Netflix is an awful site and you should avoid it as much as possible. Get yourself a nice PC, a VPN and the relevant software I would recommend Windows 11 Pro and then simply an Android box that can run Kodi and learn how to use that instead. Netflix is just a waste of money and they control what you watch not the other way around...

There's too many people in the world have fallen into the Netflix trap, especially with the Cost of Living Crisis I say cancel your Netflix and come to TPB to get your movies I happen to be sharing butt loads of stuff if only people would wake up..
A lot of torrent sites have closed down, especially those that I once used. A lot of seedbox sites are now gone too.

Personally, I suspect that torrenting is dying, but I haven't been around for a few years so I don't know how things have changed especially in the public sphere.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Win 7 dying, such a sad day :( 59465 only finds 47 torrents in dht search ID10TError 27 39,322 Feb 15, 2024, 16:12 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Torrenting slowly dying - will it survive? Will 6 3,785 Dec 12, 2023, 18:44 pm
Last Post: rezwaki
  Is torrenting/piracy dying? travellerr1 6 14,455 Oct 25, 2019, 00:12 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Is TPB dying? Will we ever be able to access the site without TOR or VPN? politux 20 41,133 Oct 25, 2018, 03:38 am
Last Post: nazmouille
  [Serious] Is Pirating dying? Jon Snow Shoveler 9 21,388 Nov 19, 2015, 01:45 am
Last Post: RobertX