To encoders: Please go back to AVI container
I can see why you don't want to "create trash" from burning DVDs: you're a billy goat! Smile

I burn because it's fun and keep a consistent collection with my bought DVDs. I say it's fun because, especially with ConvertXtoDVD, I can create menus and actually feel like I'm creating something from my hands. Why does a painter paint? Why does a boxer box? Why does a farmer farm? And why does a computer "geek" build a computer from parts he bought.

Of course, if I find a better, high-res version, it doesn't necessarily mean I throw the old version out. I might give it away to a friend and burn the newer version for myself. Ditto with DVDs that I eventually buy for myself.

I like keeping a library of stuff I like, and that kind of stuff interests me. Although I may have to eventually "get with the times," I can always put it off as long as is humanly possible.

Well, my two Canadian dollars (and 50 Hong Kong cents) right there.
Can$2 = 0.5 CNZ$ ? Anyway, sorry for the delay.

Point is not about new tech being better, people are just drawn to it. When you compare many torrents in x.264 to 265, there're different results for the same source (movie); a good encoder will get the best possible quality with the smallest package out of 264, but most will just make a much bigger and poorer looking no matter the technology.

As far I know (I'm just a user, not a member) the idea on TPB is to make information available to everybody, not necessarily or limited to social inclusion... It's the users who take a more "performance" and "fashion" approach to it. It's fair that people upload what they can afford, even if some of us can't. I could upload tiny videos (like 256x320 from old times) because my upload speed is just 36 kbps, but who would watch movies that small, or wait for my horrible speed? It's better if some encoders create light versions, but I don't know about anyone specializing in compact torrents; even YIFI, the team that made it popular, is growing from 600-900 MB to 1.4-2.0 GB per movie.

PS: Sorry for the long delay and the even longer answer.
(Jul 04, 2019, 01:11 am)RobertX Wrote: I can see why you don't want to "create trash" from burning DVDs: you're a billy goat! Smile

I burn because it's fun and keep a consistent collection with my bought DVDs. I say it's fun because, especially with ConvertXtoDVD, I can create menus and actually feel like I'm creating something from my hands. Why does a painter paint? Why does a boxer box? Why does a farmer farm? And why does a computer "geek" build a computer from parts he bought.

Of course, if I find a better, high-res version, it doesn't necessarily mean I throw the old version out. I might give it away to a friend and burn the newer version for myself. Ditto with DVDs that I eventually buy for myself.

I like keeping a library of stuff I like, and that kind of stuff interests me. Although I may have to eventually "get with the times," I can always put it off as long as is humanly possible.

Well, my two Canadian dollars (and 50 Hong Kong cents) right there.

Now don´t get me wrong here. I do have a collection of movies but I can´t keep up anymore, I have a list of what I want on DVD but I don´t know If I´m gonna get them already cloned somewhere. Sometimes even a cloned DVD has some fails and that pisses me off. And I was spending money that I could invest on something else. I went from Blockbuster to Cloned DVDs and finally TPB AVI files.

Funny thing, one of the shelfs of a furniture bended because of all the movies I was buying Big Grin. I just kept the best movies after that.

Have a good sunday.
Hi guys new here i was also wondering what had happened to XviD's now since they have also stopped working on my older setup.

I understand what people are saying about encoders keeping up with the latest technology but i just don't think it's fair for a good format that people have been using for years (and people still want) to litteraly just be tossed in the trash.
It's not tossed in the trash. It just is not the popular format anymore.

Better, more capable containers and codecs come along all the time. As they are widely adopted those who do the encoding also switch.

Software exists to remux and convert so you can always have it in your preferred format.
@Moe: How can MPEG-4 AVI not be a popular format anymore? I'm more with Dueda's comment.
I really hope ETRG won't change to weird AVI containers just like other uploaders. I won't change a thing until my hardware dies. Too much trash in the world already to change to another DVD/USB player just to be "hip". We have a Phillips DVD player made in Netherlands with 20 years working. We only had to change 2 teapo caps that were inflated. DVD is fine, should I change It because new tech is out? Heck no.
Same goes for this as dueda said, there's no big difference between newer formats. It's like people that buy new Intel or AMD products just for a 10% performance win.

It would he great to read an explanation from one of the encoders. One of them even apologizes for the odd format.
h.264 and now h.265 are what is popular. No one is going to store and transmit files that are 2 or 3 times larger than they need to be because you don't want to update your 20 year old hardware. Bandwidth caps are a real thing. Hard disk space is finite.

Either convert them yourself, or continue waiting.
They're still using AVI containers for new releases (HDRip or DVD Screener) but with MKV or other combination. Not true MPEG-4. That was the main "concern" from this thread. They would probably lose many downloads when they go H.265 only.

We'll just have to agree to disagree as muricans say.
A little off the central question: Maybe there're sites / uploaders who specialize in DVD-compatible formats, like some old games sites?
@Altair1911
I advise you to save little by little to buy items like "FTA Digital Satelite Receiver".
Most of latest FTA-DSR equiped with USB port (for reading flashdisk) and still have old RCA connector to TV.
FTA-DSR can read AVI, MKV, MP3, MP4, and some other files. Support H-264.
Example:
https://www.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/m...s2-full-hd
In my place, price of that item is very cheaper (about USD 14) compared with price of branded DVD player (about USD 35)
I am sure in your place have similiar product like that.
Although not use for satelite, but we will able to play movies and musics from USB.
I hope, soon, you will be able to play recent upload of movies in TPB.
nb: i have one in my home Smile
nb: it is just/only suggestion...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  avi/divx toooo old now MP4 is the main standard for video picaso2 9 17,726 Jan 04, 2014, 09:28 am
Last Post: akun