Tips for making a website resilient to take down
hey all,

i know this is going to sound suspicious af but ill still give it a shot

can anyone give tip or guidance on how sites with high resiliency to takedown are setup? something similar to TPB for example, I have done some research and this is what i have learned so far, but any extra tips or comments on miss understandings would be appreciated

TBP did an amazing job surviving and thriving for so long, i saw an article on torrent freak talking about the fact that TPB is not hosted on the cloud and the number of servers there is and this sort of stuff

any suggestions on which providers to go for? so far i these are the candidates i have identified;
https://www.shinjiru.com/bitcoin-hosting/
https://anonymously.io/anonymous-web-hosting/ (seems like they are out of business though, you cant buy any packages and no replies to emails)
https://njal.la/
https://www.orangewebsite.com/

(had to remove the links cuz spam filters)

as far as i understood;
- its all about hiding the true source of information by using load balancers and reverse proxies/tunnels
- i understand no matter what it might always be taken down and its all about putting it back up and having the backups for that and possibly sharing dumps publicly so others can put it back up
- to what extent is that sufficient?
- any other ideas?

sorry if this was posted before, i am new, i looked a bit but couldnt find

cheers

i also just did a DNS lookup on thepiratebay.org and a bunch of other mirrors and they all had cloudflare as provider

Cloudflare, Inc. (AS13335)
and
Cloudflare, Inc. (AS13335)

how is that possible? it seems from the cloudflare that they are very strict for example at the top of the list at https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/ is "Copyright infringement & DMCA violations", how the hell is it still up or being allowed?
(Jun 17, 2020, 09:35 am)d3ss0505 Wrote: i understand no matter what it might always be taken down and its all about putting it back up and having the backups for that and possibly sharing dumps publicly so others can put it back up

That is the big one.  No matter what, something will happen that will require you to restore your site somewhere else.

Everything else is just putting hurdles in the way with the hopes that jumping them is more effort than it is worth to take your site down.

Jurisdictional borders are the biggest hurdles.

TPB had some political help in the early days.  Keep in mind TPB has been successfully taken offline and the founders were imprisoned for a while.  They just refuse to stay down, which is why they have notoriety.

CloudFlare has legal protection themselves so long as they apply their rules consistently.  So they take a hands off approach and have stated that they won't shut down a client or reveal a client's details without a court order.
[quote pid='306303' dateline='1592404913']
(Jun 17, 2020, 09:35 am)d3ss0505 Wrote: i understand no matter what it might always be taken down and its all about putting it back up and having the backups for that and possibly sharing dumps publicly so others can put it back up

That is the big one.  No matter what, something will happen that will require you to restore your site somewhere else.

Everything else is just putting hurdles in the way with the hopes that jumping them is more effort than it is worth to take your site down.

Jurisdictional borders are the biggest hurdles.

TPB had some political help in the early days.  Keep in mind TPB has been successfully taken offline and the founders were imprisoned for a while.  They just refuse to stay down, which is why they have notoriety.

CloudFlare has legal protection themselves so long as they apply their rules consistently.  So they take a hands off approach and have stated that they won't shut down a client or reveal a client's details without a court order.
[/quote]

thanks for the response @Moe 

i initially wanted to use cloudflare, but i saw their AUP and Abuse terms and pussied out fearing they will take down the minute they get the first complaint/email but the fact that TPB has been on there for a while is a little bit reassuring so im going to reconsider

the thing is since cloudflare is routing the requests its quite a nice layer of protection

ive read a lot about the early days and the trials and so on

any ideas why they havent taken the cloudflare account down yet?
CloudFlare has previously demonstrated they aren't going to be pushed over.

Apparently the rights holders don't feel it is worth the trouble to drag CloudFlare into court and are focusing on other enforcement efforts with lower hanging fruit.
I have found Cloudflare to be problematic. It haphazardly has certificate problems and often wont let me proceed even if I expressly tell it to.

Even with my own damn site which has no legal issues whatever.
Came across this infographic some weeks ago... Might be useful:

Show Content

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Offline Bay - a decentralized torrent website TheOfflineBayProject 17 65,501 Nov 20, 2022, 10:44 am
Last Post: daf0x
  Where can I make my own website? WhySoCold 2 12,230 May 30, 2022, 03:32 am
Last Post: WhySoCold
  Pirate Bay dump on a decentralized resilient search engine urbanguac 4 27,658 May 20, 2022, 05:59 am
Last Post: RobertX
  What's a good way to host files on a home website NeonPinkQuartz 3 22,941 Jun 17, 2020, 18:22 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Magnetico: A Personal Torrent Search Engine That Can’t Be Shut Down Ernesto 60 192,947 Jun 02, 2018, 06:03 am
Last Post: joew771