Theater Chains Pout, Boycott Netflix's New Movie To Protect Antiquated Release ...
As part of its continued foray into film and more flexible release windows, Netflix this week announced it had acquired the Cary Fukunaga film "Beasts of No Nation." Based on the novel by Uzodinma Iweala, the movie stars Idris Elba and examines the impact of civil war on an unnamed West African country. Like the company's acquired sequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," Netflix is using the opportunity to kick down the doors of antiquated release windows, pushing the film to theaters the same day it will be available on Netflix instant streaming.

Given this would challenge the aging structure of the film industry, you'll probably not be surprised to learn that the primary response to Netflix's move has been of the hissy fit variety. That home video viewing will kill theaters has been the refrain of theater owners for decades now.

So, when Netflix announced it would be offering its Crouching Tiger sequel in IMAX on the same day as streaming availability, AMC, Regal and Cinemark -- which, combined, run 247 of the 400 IMAX theaters in North America -- unsurprisingly announced they'd be boycotting the movie this summer. Similarly, those same chains have joined forces to boycott Netflix's release of "Beasts of No Nation," insisting they need to do so to protect the 90-day delay between a theatrical debut and a home entertainment release.

That inflexibility has opened the door to folks like Alamo Drafthouse CEO Tim League, who somehow grasps the immeasurably complicated idea that sometimes people like going out to the movies, and sometimes they like staying home. League shot down the idea that tinkering with release windows was a death knell for theater owners:

Quote:"I’m agnostic about this sort of thing,” said Tim League, the company’s CEO and founder. “I look at films I want to play and I play them regardless of the release strategy." League noted that Alamo Drafthouse had success showing “Snowpiercer,” even though that science-fiction adventure debuted last summer on-demand while it was still in theaters.

"I don’t look at myself as a competitor to Netflix,” said League. “I think that argument is a little bit of a red herring. I watch a lot of movies at home, but there comes a time where I want to get out of the house. I look at cinemas as one of those options that compete with restaurants or baseball games or all of those things I can’t do in my living room."

Flexibly focusing on the consumer instead of crossing your arms and making a pouty face when inevitable industry evolution occurs? Ridiculous! Somebody clearly forgot to inform League that change is always bad, and pouting like a petulant child is the only effective and profitable path forward when history and technology threaten to rattle the status quo.

People who are going to go to the theaters are going to go regardless if its available for at home viewing! They go for the experience on the big screen not because they can't wait to see a movie for 90 days.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LPR press release on liberation of the Gorsky-Zolote area Resurgence 0 6,031 Jun 25, 2022, 23:56 pm
Last Post: Resurgence
  Volunteers from the Ural arrive in Donbass to protect local residents and fight Resurgence 0 5,863 Jun 25, 2022, 23:55 pm
  Car tires now release more pollution than tailpipes, analysis shows Resurgence 0 5,017 Jun 04, 2022, 19:27 pm
  Investigation links European chicken supply chains to Brazil Indigenous rights abuses Resurgence 0 4,489 May 15, 2022, 18:24 pm
  Caribbean states threaten boycott of Summit of the Americas over exclusions Resurgence 0 4,568 May 14, 2022, 23:12 pm