The number of Americans without enough to eat at an all-time high: Census Bureau
The number of Americans reporting not having enough to eat has hit an all-time high since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The data indicate nearly 26 million adults do not have enough food. Among households with children, the number was as high as 1 in 6 adults.

Houston, where images of thousands of cars waiting for food aid went viral, has been the epicenter of the increase in food insecurity. More than 20 percent of adults in the city of 7 million people reported going hungry, including 30 percent of adults in households with children.

Federal aid and augmented employment benefits, as well as the initial reopening of businesses, helped the situation somewhat, but most of the federal aid has now been spent and up to 12 million workers will lose enhanced unemployment unless Congress acts by the end of the year. Children in particular have lost access to free or reduced-price meals with most schools closed for in-person learning for the bulk of the year.

Those working to stem the hunger crisis worry that the surface indicators of an economic rebound may obscure the crisis.

Quote:"The hardship is incredibly widespread. Large parts of America are saying, 'I couldn't afford food for my family,' " Stacy Dean of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities told The Washington Post. "It's disappointing this hasn't broken through."

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2020/...hhp18.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/26m-am...r-BB1bmhCf
COVID has destroyed a lot, most of the people suffering I assume are the same people supporting further restrictions because of COVID, even though I have no evidence to support this claim, it does me well for justify their suffering.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK inflation hits 41-year high of 11.1% as food and energy prices continue to soar Resurgence 0 5,572 Nov 16, 2022, 14:07 pm
Last Post: Resurgence
  The three ‘norths’ combine over Great Britain for the first time in history Resurgence 0 4,913 Nov 09, 2022, 14:39 pm
  4 in 5 Americans who need insulin have taken on credit card debt to cover the cost Resurgence 0 6,368 Jun 28, 2022, 01:39 am
  The propaganda isn't working: Worldwide confidence levels for Putin at all-time lows CaptButler 1 6,011 Jun 24, 2022, 12:49 pm
Last Post: stts2
  Inflation in Canada nears 40-year high Resurgence 0 5,749 Jun 24, 2022, 00:47 am