Suggested Policy Change
Howdy,

A couple of months ago, I posted with a request for take down over something I thought was inappropriate and was told that no, it did not go against the standards. I finally found the Policy page and read it. The moderator was correct as the Policy page is rather thin on things that it would remove or ban. I realize this is a slippery slope, and that a majority of the Policy page concerns malware, trojans, and the like.

In this changing world, especially in my home country, we have seen the rise of hate crimes, the killing of unarmed people because of their skin color, and the persecution of people because of their religion or where they come from.

I would like to suggest that videos that promote Hate Crimes, Hate Speech, and individuals and organizations promoting these be banned and their posts removed.

Thanks
Doen't that go against TPB's core fundamentals and ideals?
If you don't like something, you don't buy, watch, listen to, read, etc. You are governed by your own choices. Here it's the same way, only involve yourself with what you want and allow others to do the same... Unless it's illegal content mentioned in the rules, then all else is subjective; doing what you suggest promotes censorship.

Ask yourself this: How much have the uploads contributed to the crime you mentioned? Don't you think you are smart enough to recognize content you don't like and then don't bother with? And maybe the uploader is providing a service to merely share info, not pushing a personal agenda in the thoughts there are people that are in the market for that sort of thing.

Regardless of who uploads what under what motivation, the original content has already been created. I am thankful to have the choice to download what is there without fear of censorship so I can make my own opinion on a specific matter. the people who hate something have a choice in not downloading. Don't take away the choice from people who love (or are at least interested in) something by making it unavailable...
From the Policy Page, the things mentioned as "core" values center around these points.
"We do not censor but we do block people that use our service wrongfully (i.e. commercial organizations that have not cleared the usage with us first)."
The only wrong thing really mentioned is using the site for commercial reasons.
What it appears to me is that, at times, TPB is being used as a dumping ground for Hate propaganda. I realize that polite discourse is always preferable. This is not polite discourse. This is calling on white supremacists and Nazis to kill people.

But I guess if it is not a commercial enterprise or full of malware and trojens, its OK. Freedom of speech, YES... but not freedom from consequences.

- with Peace in my heart on MLK birthday.

(Jan 22, 2019, 01:12 am)LZA Wrote: If you don't like something, you don't buy, watch, listen to, read, etc. You are governed by your own choices. Here it's the same way, only involve yourself with what you want and allow others to do the same... Unless it's illegal content mentioned in the rules, then all else is subjective; doing what you suggest promotes censorship.

Ask yourself this: How much have the uploads contributed to the crime you mentioned? Don't you think you are smart enough to recognize content you don't like and then don't bother with? And maybe the uploader is providing a service to merely share info, not pushing a personal agenda in the thoughts there are people that are in the market for that sort of thing.

Regardless of who uploads what under what motivation, the original content has already been created. I am thankful to have the choice to download what is there without fear of censorship so I can make my own opinion on a specific matter. the people who hate something have a choice in not downloading. Don't take away the choice from people who love (or are at least interested in) something by making it unavailable...
Thank you for entering the discussion. And please excuse the length as I got my second wind.

Yes, they are pushing a "personal agenda". It's called being a Nazi.  I do not use the term lightly. Every post is about how one religious group must be stopped by any means. How one ethnic group in particular should be bombed, how glad they are that unarmed children are shot down in the street by police. These are recruitment videos plan and simple.
Yes, I realize I have a choice in what I watch, I have reached an age where I can discern fact from fiction and am not fooled (usually) by these Hate Groups.  But what about the young person who gets sucked in?

Let me put this hypothetical. I have an ISIS video that is a really slick promotion. I will have 16-19 yr old flocking to join. Should I post it?

- with love and peace in my heart on MLK birthday
TPB was built on a simple principle of no censorship (except for files that: may harm your os, cp, and spam).

While it may be immoral to some people to have stuff like that up, for them to start censoring would be damaging, and a monumental waste of time spent by Mods and Admins to remove everything that may crawl up someone's/your ass wrong.

And they have much better things to do then go against the core belief that they were founded on and live by.

You can upload what you want. You can download what you want. Deal with it.

Quote:Every post is about how one religious group must be stopped by any means. How one ethnic group in particular should be bombed, how glad they are that unarmed children are shot down in the street by police.

And it's their right on the site to express their views how they want to.
The mods do censor posts considered offensive on the forums but it's impossible to do so on the torrents - To download and inspect every each one would be a full scale enterprise job and demand essential changes on the service itself.

Youtube does it, but they are funded by advertising and subscriptions, while TPB deals with pirated content (amongst other things, like immoral content) - How to run a shadow company with hundreds of censors, large facilities, huge traffic, and yet be completely anonymous and safe from authorities?

Facebook does it to some extent, but everybody knows Suckerberg is a money maniac psychotic who delights in mass privacy invasion.

Think of TPB as an uncensored You-Face. Also, consider joining the Void group on the forums.
(Jan 22, 2019, 01:20 am)sloweddi Wrote: Yes, they are pushing a "personal agenda". It's called being a Nazi.  I do not use the term lightly. Every post is about how one religious group must be stopped by any means. How one ethnic group in particular should be bombed, how glad they are that unarmed children are shot down in the street by police. These are recruitment videos plan and simple.
Yes, I realize I have a choice in what I watch, I have reached an age where I can discern fact from fiction and am not fooled (usually) by these Hate Groups.  But what about the young person who gets sucked in?

Let me put this hypothetical. I have an ISIS video that is a really slick promotion. I will have 16-19 yr old flocking to join. Should I post it?

- with love and peace in my heart on MLK birthday

To me, uploading info is not being a Nazi, since the user chooses to believe the content or not.  Acting like a Nazi would mean taking away all other choices except for what they want and force-feeding it down one's throat. Here, we have the benefit of choice, and censoring content is more of a Nazi tactic to sway one's opinion under the guise of "protecting them from what's bad". Just assuming one person knows what others want/need to the point of taking away the decision is an arrogant and ignorant level of evil I can't describe in words.

Some people think all torrenting is wrong since it violates copyright... The spirit of pirating does violate those laws, but IMHO allows people to have access to stuff they otherwise wouldn't (or couldn't). Facebook, Youtube are mainstream sites restricted to mainstream laws and guidelines... The beauty of this place is that it is not... I believe this is the truest form of freedom.

Logically, you can't come on to a site that breaks some main rules and demand that they enforce others. TPB is unlike regular society as far as here, we deal in reality and not so much concerned about making anyone butthurt... I would like to see it stay that way. Here, it's up to the individual to make good decisions and protect one's feelings.

To put what you say in the perspective, think of this site is on the deep web which sells guns illegally. What you propose is almost the same as saying: "Ya, you can sell illegal guns, but just don't sell automatics, because, that would be wrong". IMHO your suggestion treats the effects, not the cause of a much larger societal problem.

If a 16-year-old is swayed by a video, they didn't have the mental constitution to make good decisions anyway... Those are the types to blame video games, music or movies as an excuse to act that way. This is a battle from within the individual, not from any outside source (torrented or purchased). The key is to teach them to be smart, not to hide info, which, if it's out there they will find anyway.

I think at this point this is just more of an exchange of opinions. But in case you are still unaware, there is no way that what you suggest will ever occur here...  The standards set were made by people who know what they are doing; it would not have lasted as long or been as popular otherwise.

Everyone can read this thread and know your opinion. And I hope that helps in some way because really, that's all there is.
Good attempt at trolling. Sadly people fell for it.

TPB removes fakes and cp. Nothing else.
The fact they are being uploaded at all is a symptom of a problem. You are kidding yourself that removing any of that from TPB will do anything but hide the problem, which maybe will make you feel better.

Censorship is also a very real problem, and we aren't going to contribute to it just because some uploads reflect a reality people don't like.
“What is one man’s hate speech is another man’s poetry.”
— Flemming Rose

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can u guys change the top 48h to LiteOS 0 11,485 Aug 14, 2020, 11:42 am
Last Post: LiteOS
  change the pirate bay photo dear1 11 37,645 Apr 18, 2018, 10:13 am
Last Post: Sykx
  Policy on letting old threads die, not merging not-100%-related threads a year apart cake 1 13,665 Dec 21, 2016, 00:35 am
Last Post: Moe
  View & change email on TPB MaximilianKohler 3 17,109 Jan 02, 2016, 00:29 am
Last Post:
  TPB policy zerodayz 8 21,230 Aug 22, 2015, 07:47 am
Last Post: