Storing Massive Movie Collection
At the time, drive compression came with Windows 95 and, I believe, OS/2. You can double your drive space or increase it whatever. The trade-off would be that your computer would run slower.

If you still have a 486 in your closet, take it out, put Windows 95 or 98 in, and compress it. If not, just use any version of DOS, and you can probably find a copy of Double Space.

Since I would guess that you don't have one, never mind.

Putting stuff into optical media has its advantages, especially if you're watching movies. If your computer blows up, or dies, the hard drive might die with it. I can't even guarantee that an external hard drive can survive the breaking down of a computer either. If your computer goes to hell and takes all the hardware that it's connected to, you can preserve the stuff you backed up onto your DVD/Blu Ray discs so, if you get another working computer, you can copy the data back. At least that way, you don't have to delete your movies if your external cries out for help.

Hope you found that above suggestion insightful, if lacking realism. Smile
downloading movies that are 12G seems ridiculous. even if you have tones of storage space.

Anywho..

I started downloading movies with a cheap and old computer that only had a 80G hard drive lol ... so I once that filled up, I would burn onto dvd discs (as data) and delete off my computer. I have about 250 discs now. Most movies were 700mb, dvd rips. But now that Blurays are so small thanks to the likes of people like Yify, Im starting to download nothing but bluray, usually 720. Now I have a 320gb hard drive that I bought on sale for 40 bucks that I keep all the new stuff Ive downloaded that I have had time to burn yet. But my portable hard drive has filled up.

I will eventually buy a 3-4tb drive and put everything on there so that I have my movie collect at my fingure tips. I have well over 1000 movies.
Prices will vary by where you live and what you can pick up on sale but, currently, the cheapest-per-GB storage I can pick up is a reputable brand 3TB external hard drive.

Much much cheaper than the equivalent amount of quality BD-Rs and much much much much cheaper than quality DVD-R's.
Quote:Blurays are so small thanks to the likes of people like Yify

YIFY's uploads have 2 channel audio, which is always a problem for most people. I prefer something a little beefy. I don't mind downloading big files (i.e.: 12-15Gb) if I need to; storage is cheap nowadays. And as a last resort, you can always delete them.

Back on topic though... I purchased another 3TB external HD (only reason I got it external is because it was on sale). So now I have the main storage drive that's connected internally (3TB) that's almost full plus this new one that I didn't start using yet.

My Samsung TV doesn't have Wifi built in. I like the idea of a NAS because I can store everything on that NAS and then configure the drives in a RAID array for peace of mind. But I don't really know what transfer medium I should use to get the content from the NAS to the TV. My options are to staple a CAT5E cable along the wall, Power-Line, or buy that expensive Samsung wireless transceiver.

I also don't know how what kind of NAS would be the cheapest. I don't want to spend much on this project that's why I'm staying away from proprietary NASes like the Drobo and Synology.

What can you suggest me Suprbay?
Probably the least inexpensive and most flexible is to just go straight HDMI from your computer to the TV.

The next step up from that is a network media player like those made by Asus or WD that can stream content from your PC.

There is no such thing as a non-proprietary NAS unless you build your own out of PC parts. I've done that, and in the end found I am still better off with a purpose designed product. I recommended the Synology as it already does a lot out of the box. It's also open source and has a strong 3rd party developer community. You'll also need a media player unless your TV is on the network and can stream from it.
Doesn't HDMI degrade after a couple of feet? And even if not, wouldn't an ethernet cable from the tv to the router be smarter since it wouldnt limit me to what's only on the pc? (Ie: cat5e to router will give me access to any content connected to network) plus i already have the ling cat5e cable from my xbox 360 days of h3 Smile
Although your TV doesn't have WiFi built in an Xbox 360 does. You know you can use that as a media centre, right? http://lifehacker.com/5989126/the-comple...center/all
How far you can send HDMI is dependent on resolution and cable quality. A high quality passive 40' cable will have no problems with 1080p. Of course, it won't be cheap either.

Yes, it is limited to one PC, but it will also be able to play anything your PC can play. Even the best TV/media player has some format it can't play.

But if your TV is already network friendly and its native media player is compatible with your library, then by all means hook it up and stream away.

Down the road if you upgrade to a NAS you will already be set at that end.
I like the xbox idea and might try it since (yes kjf) my tv has been able to play everything ive thrown at it so far

Edit: So I decided to use Plex. I ran a CAT5E cable nicely from the TV to the router and all is well.
you can store it on external harddisk.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie Sources & Movie Formats Suprbay 0 44,066 Oct 23, 2013, 07:49 am
Last Post: Suprbay