[Image: cover.jpg]
My Morning Jacket - My Morning Jacket (2021) [FLAC]

Released ................ 2021
Source .................. WEB
Genre ................... alternative, alternative rock, indie rock
Codec ................... FLAC
Bit Depth ............... 16 bits
Sampling Rate ........... 44.1 kHz

My Morning Jacket reaffirm the rarefied magic that has made them so beloved, embedding each song with moments of discovery, revelation and ecstatic catharsis. It comes after a near permanent hiatus for the band until performing four shows in summer '19 left them with a new energy. Jim James engineered/produced at 64 Sound in LA where the band spent weeks in intentional seclusion emerging with their self-titled 9th album. My Morning Jacket - their first album in six years - finds a supremely engaging, often blissfully beautiful halfway point between the glossy eccentricities of more recent MMJ albums and those old slow-burn yet highly combustible 'jam band' dynamics.

01 - Regularly Scheduled Programming
02 - Love Love Love
03 - In Color
04 - Least Expected
05 - Never In The Real World
06 - The Devil’s In The Details
07 - Lucky To Be Alive
08 - Complex
09 - Out Of Range, Pt. 2
10 - Penny For Your Thoughts
11 - I Never Could Get Enough
The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore (2021) [FLAC]

Genre ................... rock, indie rock, alternative

The War On Drugs announce I Don’t Live Here Anymore, their first studio album in four years, out October 29th on Atlantic Records. Over the last 15 years, The War on Drugs have steadily emerged asone of this century’s great rock and roll synthesists, removing the gaps between the underground and the mainstream, making records that wrestle a fractured past into a unified and engrossing present. Just a month after A Deeper Understanding received the 2018 Grammy for Best Rock Album, the band retreated to upstate New York to jam and cut new demos. It was the start of a dozen-plus session odyssey that spanned three years and seven studios, including some of rock’s greatest sonic workshops like Electric Lady in New York and Los Angeles’ Sound City.The War On Drugs’ 2022 tour takes the band to some of the largest venues they’ve ever played, including their first headlining show at Madison Square Garden, as well as Los Angeles’ Shrine Auditorium, the Bill Graham Civic Centerin San Francisco, the Ryman Auditoriumin Nashville, two nights at the Chicago Theatre, Philadelphia’s Metropolitan, the House of Bluesin Boston, and beyond.

01 - Living Proof
02 - Harmonia’s Dream
03 - Change
04 - I Don’t Wanna Wait
05 - Victim
06 - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
07 - Old Skin
08 - Wasted
09 - Rings Around My Father’s Eyes
10 - Occasional Rain
Snail Mail - Valentine (2021) [FLAC]

Genre ................... alternative, indie rock

Snail Mail's Lindsey Jordan was still a teenager when she broke onto the Billboard alternative and rock charts with her Matador Records-issued debut album, Lush, in 2018. Written in 2019 and 2020, the follow-up finds Jordan processing turmoil including her sudden fame and a breakup that permeates the album. It was partly written under unusual circumstances: Jordan spent 45 days of this period in a recovery facility, during which time musical instruments and equipment were strictly forbidden. She wrote nonetheless, working from memory and notations. When it came time to bring the songs to life, she headed to the North Carolina home studio of Brad Cook (Big Red Machine, Waxahatchee), where the two co-produced the resulting Valentine. Another intensely personal release, it features live bandmates Alex Bass (bass) and Ray Brown (drums) from her debut but adds components including synths, samples, and live strings for a conspicuous shift in sound. Greatly reduced are the often-mesmerizing, meandering guitar lines of Lush, replaced here with crisper, alt-rock power chords and shimmer, as evidenced on the opening title track. It begins with humming synths and a simmering, faux-sweet vocal: "Let's go be alone where no one can see us, honey/Careful in that room, those parasitic cameras, don't they stop to stare at you?" It soon becomes clear that the relationship is no more, as the song transforms from an '80s power ballad to an angry, '90s emo rocker ("So why'd you wanna erase me, darling valentine?"). Later on in the track list, "Glory" resurrects a churning grunge. In the meantime, however, "Ben Franklin" takes the form of a midtempo synth pop entry that exposes a later relationship as a poor substitute for her valentine ("Sometimes I hate her just for not being you/Post-rehab I've been feeling so small"), and "Forever (Sailing)" approaches an orchestrated pop unimaginable for 2018 Snail Mail. The more-melancholy, guitar-based songs, like the acceptance-themed acoustic ballad "Light Blue," "c. et al.," and the Lush-appropriate "Headlock," feel the most direct here and best complement Jordan's vulnerable, often-cracking, exasperated vocal delivery. Closing track "Mia" ("I love you forever/But I gotta grow up now") juxtaposes this stripped-back, guitar-centric authenticity and strings-swept, performative theatricality. Taken together, Valentine represents both a bold musical step and a signal that Jordan is ready to move on in more ways than one, at the same time that it leaves some of her distinctiveness behind.

01 - Valentine
02 - Ben Franklin
03 - Headlock
04 - Light Blue
05 - Forever (Sailing)
06 - Madonna
07 - c. et. al.
08 - Glory
09 - Automate
10 - Mia
The Mountain Goats - The Jordan Lake Sessions: Volumes 3 and 4 (2021) (Live Album) [FLAC]

Genre ................... singer-songwriter, indie rock, folk

Recorded live in studio at Manifold Recording in Pittsboro, NC, on August 8 & 9, 2020.

01 - In the Craters on the Moon
02 - Letter from Belgium
03 - Woke Up New
04 - Pez Dorado
05 - Picture of My Dress
06 - Whole Wide World
07 - Dark in Here
08 - Korean Bird Paintings
09 - Snow Owl
10 - Against Pollution
11 - The Last Place I Saw You Alive
12 - In Memory of Satan
13 - Bell Swamp Connection
14 - Rat Queen
15 - Shelved
16 - Sax Rohmer #1
17 - This Year
18 - Have to Explode
19 - Game Shows Touch Our Lives
20 - Until Olympius Returns
21 - The Young Thousands
22 - Corsican Mastiff Stride
23 - Blood Capsules
24 - Hair Match
25 - Solidarity Forever
26 - Soft Targets
27 - Black Pear Tree
28 - Wolf Count
29 - Never Quite Free
30 - Wild Sage
31 - Jazz No Children
32 - Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod
33 - Exegetic Chains
34 - Going Invisible 2
Jimmy Eat World - Futures: Phoenix Sessions (2021) (Live Album) [FLAC]

Genre ................... rock, alternative, emo

Earlier this year Jimmy Eat World played a series of special livestreams known as 'The Phoenix Sessions', going through some of their back catalogue in full. Aside from possessing classics such as 'Work', 'Kill', '23' and of course 'Futures', the best part of the release is just how fucking incredible the band sound. Nothing has changed, and yet everything has changed. It’s the same beautifully constructed album, performed with the same vibrancy the group have always possessed – but with 16 years, a pandemic, and their own experiences growing up with this album, Jimmy Eat World’s ‘Futures’ simply hits harder than it ever has before, making for an intensely cathartic virtual concert like no other. Jim Adkins and co. remain as true to their best selves as ever for the Phoenix Sessions, and Futures remains a definitive pop punk classic that’s only blossomed brighter over the years. It's a credit not just to the quality of the songs but also how passionate the band still are about them.

01 - Futures
02 - Just Tonight
03 - Work
04 - Kill
05 - The World You Love
06 - Pain
07 - Drugs or Me
08 - Polaris
09 - Nothing Wrong
10 - Night Drive
11 - 23
The Vaccines - Back in Love City (2021) [FLAC]

Source .................. CD
Genre ................... indie rock, alternative

The English indie rockers' fifth long-player, Back in Love City, sees the Vaccines looking for connections in an emotionally disconnected world and injecting an overflowing syringe of glitzy West Coast pop sheen into their melodic punk core. Recorded in El Paso with Swedish/American producer Daniel Ledinsky (Tove Lo, TV on the Radio, Rihanna), the 13-track set has all of the hallmarks of a Vaccines production, with plenty of snappy, surf-tinged festival pleasers with simple yet effective Ramones-style melodies. Commencing with the strident, electro-pop-tinged title track, the band heats up early with a pair of top-notch sugary stadium shakers ("Alone Star" and "Headphones Baby") that set the tone for what's to come. Even at their most reductive, the Vaccines have always maintained an unwavering current of electricity, and they apply that voltaic sleight of hand liberally, especially on the relentless "Wanderlust" and ebullient "Jump Off the Top." The puffy, Gary Glitter-aping "Savage" doesn't fare as well, nor does the near-constant influx of motormouth verses that yield fist-pumping choruses. The surprisingly sincere love letter to America, "Heart Land," is a bit of an outlier, as is the cascading closer "Pink Water Pistols," but for the most part, the band plays things relatively safe. Even so, the Vaccines are adept enough architects of early aughts U.K. guitar rock (Kaizer Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) to know how to craft an earworm, and the reliable Back in Love City is filthy with hooks, even if you've heard them a million times before.

01 - Back in Love City
02 - Alone Star
03 - Headphones Baby
04 - Wanderlust
05 - Paranormal Romance
06 - El Paso
07 - Jump Off the Top
08 - Xct
09 - Bandit
10 - Peoples' Republic of Desire
11 - Savage
12 - Heart Land
13 - Pink Water Pistols
John Mellencamp - Strictly A One-Eyed Jack (2022) [FLAC]

Released ................ 2022
Genre ................... rock

John Mellencamp's 25th studio album, Strictly A One-Eyed Jack, is set for release 1/21/22 on Republic Records. The album was written and produced by Mellencamp, recorded at his Belmont Mall Studios in Indiana, and recorded/mixed by GRAMMY-award winner David Leonard. It features a number of longtime band members including Andy York, Dane Clark, Mike Wanchic, Troye Kinnett, and more. It also features three collaborations with Bruce Springsteen including the landmark duet "Wasted Days."

01 - I Always Lie To Strangers
02 - Driving In The Rain
03 - I Am A Man That Worries
04 - Streets Of Galilee
05 - Sweet Honey Brown
06 - Did You Say Such A Thing
07 - Gone So Soon
08 - Wasted Days
09 - Simply A One-Eyed Jack
10 - Chasing Rainbows
11 - Lie To Me
12 - A Life Full Of Rain
Mitski - Laurel Hell (2022) [FLAC]

Genre ................... alternative, rock

Stepping back into her own shoes after the character-driven Be the Cowboy, Mitski's fourth album, Laurel Hell, finds the songwriter in a less volatile, more (but not completely) resigned state of mind as she reflects on persistent incompatibility with partners, perceived disinterest in what she has to offer, and an overriding ennui. While much of the album was written prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, she found new meaning in songs that were recorded with longtime producer Patrick Hyland in the midst of prolonged periods of isolation -- a theme closely associated with Mitski's work since long before the viral threat. A bit of a slow builder with an almost cinematic trajectory, Laurel Hell begins with a droning, monotone pop and the lyrics "Let's step carefully into the dark/Once we're in, I'll remember my way around." That song, "Valentine, Texas," eventually introduces the slick '80s pop surfaces employed throughout Laurel Hell, with its shimmering synths, electric piano, and business-like drums often seeming like a false front given the deeply brooding nature of the album's lyrics. Even so, with 11 tracks clocking in at a total of around 30 minutes, Mitski gets to the point when she laments oppressive systems on "Working for the Knife," when she examines being drawn to darkness against a backdrop of industrial synths and late, swelling strings on "Everyone," and when demanding more of her lover on the driving synth pop track "Love Me More," which also includes the devastating stanza, "How do other people live?/I wonder how they keep it up/When today is finally done/There's another day to come/Then another day to come/Then another day to come." Following the exhausted, piano-based breakup dirge "I Guess" ("I guess this is the end/I'll have to learn to be somebody else"), Mitski closes the album on the sparkling, highly melodic "That's Our Lamp," which disco dances into the sunset while remembering being loved -- in the past tense.

01 - Valentine, Texas
02 - Working for the Knife
03 - Stay Soft
04 - Everyone
05 - Heat Lightning
06 - The Only Heartbreaker
07 - Love Me More
08 - There’s Nothing Left Here for You
09 - Should’ve Been Me
10 - I Guess
11 - That’s Our Lamp
The Mountain Goats - Bleed Out (2022) [FLAC]

Genre ................... rock, indie, folk
Sampling Rate ........... 48.0 kHz

Bleed Out is all pent-up energy and explosion, executed by a bunch of friends who were mainly happy to be in a room together making loud noises. In January 2021, just weeks after Darnielle had started writing, his bandmates Peter Hughes, Matt Douglas, and Jon Wurster joined him at a studio in the woods near his home in Chapel Hill. Everything was finished inside a week.

01 - Training Montage
02 - Mark on You
03 - Wage Wars Get Rich Die Handsome
04 - Extraction Point
05 - Bones Don't Rust
06 - First Blood
07 - Make You Suffer
08 - Guys on Every Corner
09 - Hostages
10 - Need More Bandages
11 - Incandescent Ruins
12 - Bleed Out
Silversun Pickups - Physical Thrills (2022) [FLAC]

Genre ................... alternative, rock, indie
Sampling Rate ........... 48.0 kHz

Bookending a drastic time of change for the band (and the world), Silversun Pickups' sixth studio set, Physical Thrills, arrived three years after their prior LP, Widow's Weeds. When promotion for that album was halted by a global pandemic, lead vocalist and guitarist Brian Aubert got to work on new music, once again with famed producer Butch Vig in tow. The resulting effort improved upon Weeds with a little more of the bite and urgency that the band is known for, balancing the cinematic scope of 2012's Neck of the Woods (like on "Stillness [Way Beyond]") with the unfettered, band-forward approach of early albums like 2006's Carnavas (they even revisit that album's "Dream at Tempo" interlude with a trio of hazy, melodic siblings). Despite being a "pandemic record," Physical Thrills is not a dour, hardened affair. Instead invigorated, Aubert and the band -- bassist Nikki Monninger, drummer Christopher Guanlao, and keyboardist Joe Lester -- flexed their creative muscles and pushed their personal boundaries, whether that was with Guanlao's Beatles-inspired drum fills, Lester's piano-backed compositions ("We Won't Come Out"), Aubert's increased shoegaze fuzz, or Monninger stepping up to the mike. Indeed, that solo showcase -- the dreamy, horn-backed "Alone on a Hill" -- is one of the album's finest moments. For classic Silversun Pickups cuts, the urgent "Hereafter (Way After)" rides a persistent piano riff as Guanlao and Aubert propel the track toward an uncertain horizon, while the bombastic wah-wah effect on "Scared Together" pummels the eardrums as the band whips anxiety and paranoia into a frantic closing storm of riffs and percussion. With its handclaps and harmonies, the airy "Empty Nest" is one of the most pleasant, toe-tapping pop moments of the set, just as "We Won't Come Out" sounds like the band is floating through an ocean inside a bubble, one that gets violently popped by a rabid guitar attack destined to be a live favorite. Finally, as if these aforementioned highlights weren't rousing enough, "System Error" is an album standout that tops an elastic bassline with a riotous guitar solo and drum bashing, which all come together at the close in a shiver-inducing key change from Aubert and Monninger. Bouncing back from such a tumultuous few years of unexpected turmoil, Silversun Pickups maintained their momentum and even managed to build upon their usual bag of tricks. Physical Thrills lives up to the title, delivering one of the band's best statements to date.

01 - Stillness (Way Beyond)
02 - Sticks and Stones
03 - Hereafter (Way After)
04 - Dream at Tempo 050
05 - Scared Together
06 - Alone on a Hill
07 - Hidden Moon
08 - System Error
09 - Empty Nest
10 - Dream at Tempo 310
11 - We Won’t Come Out
12 - Stay Down (Way Down)