Slow upload and other weird behavior with torrents
Hi,

I've recently got myself a VPN and configured a VM on my home server running Deluge because I wanted to get into seeding some stuff and creating my own torrents. I have created my first torrents and seeding seems to work in general, but there are some weird things I don't understand.

First of all, many of my torrents have very low upload speeds. There aren't many peers for them as they are relatively fresh and perhaps not that popular. The number of peers fluctuates between 0 and 4, and on average I upload to them at maybe 1-30 KiB/s, most often in the single digits. Why is uploading so slow? Occasionally I get a peer to which I can upload with a few hundreds of KiB/s, but usually only for a short time, then the peer either leaves or continues in low speed like the others. Do they all just have such slow download speed or is there something wrong with my seeding?
For torrents that have a lot of peers, the overall upload seems to be consistently higher, but I still upload to the individual peers at these low rates (there are just more, so it accumulates). Sometimes it seems to me that there is a per-peer upload bandwidth limit, but I don't have any such limits enabled in Deluge. Also as I said, occasionally I get higher upload speeds for certain peers.

Another weird thing is that sometimes (it seems to be random...) when I use a magnet link to my own torrent on a different device, I do NOT find my Deluge server in the list of peers, although it is seeding to some other peers. I think I sometimes see my server pop up in the peer list for a second and then vanish afterwards. How could that be?

I have enabled some limits in Deluge, but I think they are too high to justify *such* slow uploads. The overall upload speed limit is usually not reached, according to Deluge's status bar. Here are some screenshots of my configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I managed to get about 500KB/s from one of your torrents.

Looking at your configs (from your screenshot), trying to figure out what might be causing that.
Turn off your vpn then see what the rates are.
Per the second screenshot: Global Bandwidth Usage is capped at 800 KiB

One user (Noktham) on one torrent (out of the 20 you are trying to seed simultaneously) managed to grab 500 KiB of that: doesn't leave very much for all the other users on all the other torrents.

I'd say that setting was the biggest problem. Either raise it, or reduce the number of active torrents.
(May 27, 2017, 15:11 pm)NokTham Wrote: I managed to get about 500KB/s from one of your torrents.

Looking at your configs (from your screenshot), trying to figure out what might be causing that.

Hmm, yes, I can now sometimes see peers with higher speeds, but most of the time my total upload bandwidth is still far from the configured maximum. Maybe the other peers really are just that slow?

(May 27, 2017, 16:30 pm)Sid Wrote: One user (Noktham) on one torrent (out of the 20 you are trying to seed simultaneously) managed to grab 500 KiB of that: doesn't leave very much for all the other users on all the other torrents.

That explains why it capped out for him, but most of the time the summed upload bandwidth of all the torrents is far below the 800 KiB/s cap for me. It was usually around 200 KiB/s at maximum, so there should have been enough capacity.
By the way, just out of curiosity: How do you know how many torrents I'm seeding? Are you referring to the last screenshot? That was just different peers on a single torrent. Or is the number of torrents I'm seeding something that others can see?

(May 27, 2017, 15:39 pm)Kingfish Wrote: Turn off your vpn then see what the rates are.

Ok, will try that later on with some other torrents.

Thanks!
(May 27, 2017, 17:48 pm)utaysidun Wrote: By the way, just out of curiosity: How do you know how many torrents I'm seeding? Are you referring to the last screenshot? That was just different peers on a single torrent. Or is the number of torrents I'm seeding something that others can see?

A combination of mistakes on my part (because I was rushing at the time I replied). I had noticed on the 3rd screenshot that you were configured to seed up to 40 active torrents (which I knew was way higher than it should have been) and a quick look at the final ss appeared to show about 20-odd. And I assumed they were torrents rather than peers because when talking about speeds we generally talk about overall speeds rather than per peer speeds.

Anyway...with 800 KB of upload bandwidth, you should really only be seeding around 6 torrents with 6 upload slots per torrent. Give that a try.

In general though, the fact that Nok was able to obtain 500 kB means that other peers should be able to obtain 500 kB. If they're not, that's down to them not you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird msvcr100.dll missing but isn't kelownababy 16 12,540 Mar 29, 2023, 01:45 am
Last Post: xmat
  Normalize audio - is there any other player that has this feature? theSEMAR 0 9,576 Mar 11, 2020, 17:45 pm
Last Post: theSEMAR
  Slow computer otter2208 6 16,745 May 26, 2017, 21:12 pm
Last Post: dynstab2
  Help me in converting Kindle book on General studies manual and upload it galibala 5 14,525 Feb 21, 2017, 02:19 am
Last Post: joew771
  Other PC dreamian 4 13,546 Dec 11, 2016, 08:33 am
Last Post: dreamian