Serbians block main roads to protest possible opening of lithium mine
Some of the main roads in Serbia were blocked on Saturday in protest at the possible opening of a lithium mine in western Serbia, as part of Rio Tinto’s Jadar Project.

Several hundred citizens blocked the highway outside the Sava Centre congress hall in Belgrade for an hour. No police officers in uniform were seen at the rally.

Around 200 people blocked the highway near Novi Sad in both directions, from and to Belgrade. An incident occurred when a driver tried to break through the blockade.

The blockade of the Ibarska Highway in Preljina, near Čačak, where roughly 100 citizens gathered, lasted two hours and passed without violence. The Požega-Kosjerić road was blocked in the small town of Pesak, in protest at geological excavation, exploitation and the opening of a lithium mine in the village of Dobrinje and in other places in Serbia.

The renewed protests come after several weeks of nationwide demonstrations in December. Thousands of Serbians took to the streets to protest against the government’s plans for the mine and an expropriation law which President Aleksander Vuvic eventually did a U-turn on. New protests suggest that was not enough and that people remain unhappy with environmental issues in the country.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politic...hium-mine/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hundreds protest outside G7 summit in Germany Resurgence 0 6,319 Jun 29, 2022, 01:03 am
Last Post: Resurgence
  Brazil: Hundreds protest killing of Amazon defenders Resurgence 0 5,928 Jun 26, 2022, 00:29 am
  Protest in the Italian legislature against sending weapons to Ukraine Resurgence 0 5,691 Jun 24, 2022, 01:06 am
  Argentina wants to become a member of BRICS as soon as possible: Ambassador Resurgence 0 5,515 Jun 23, 2022, 01:19 am
  Ecuador’s Indigenous groups protest against economic policies Resurgence 0 5,194 Jun 15, 2022, 01:28 am