SSID Broadcast
Is it safe to have an SSID broadcast on your router?

You see, I have a wireless router and I live in an apartment building.

I turned the SSID Broadcast off. Is that prudent?
Having it off isn't going to hurt anything, but I wouldn't rely on it for security. A few minutes with your favorite search engine will give you all the pros and cons to that approach.

Set the access point as close as you can to where you use it most, turn down the power to the minimum needed to cover your living spaces, and be sure you are using WPA2 with a solid passphrase.
Indulge me for a while, but while I have heard of access points, I never knew what they are really for.

Do they boost the signal or restrict it or something?

Forgive my ignorance; perhaps you may help me.
The access point is where you're accessing the WLAN from, and if you lower it's range it'll only be accessible within a certain amount of feet. ( random ranges -> ) 5-25 feet is smallest usually, 50-100 feet is medium, and 250-500 feet is long range.
You know what? Maybe I should RTFM.

After that, I'll come back and ask about more.

There's a lot that's gong over my head.

For now, I'll just stick with my lone wireless router set up.

EDIT: So it boosts and limits range by locking out the traffic to a specified range. Is that correct?
Lowering the signal strength, makes the AP (identified by the SSID), not visible to others (potential attackers, freeloaders).
You do not want your neighbour to be using your Wi-Fi router. Hence the need for hiding your SSID and protecting access to it with WPA2 security (protocols) and good password. Wireless network traffic can be sniffed by anyone in the vicinity and hence it is more prone to attack.
AP functionality is usually bundled with your router. So the configuration screens would have the wireless related settings too.

Basics:
The AP is a wireless network device that allows wireless devices (like mobiles, laptop with wireless NIC) to connect to the wired world (typically Internet).

The AP provides authentication and access control, before traffic can flow through.

802.11 Wireless Networks - A Definitive Guide by Mathew Gast is a good reference book. Another is 'Real 802.11 Security'.

WEP, the first security protocol, while considered insecure, is a good starting point to understanding wireless networks.

WPA and WPA2 goes deeper into security protocols. To my knowledge it uses/integrates existing protocols to make wireless communication secure.

The SSID broadcast packets also known as beacon is just like a lighthouse, announcing to all wireless devices that an AP with given SSID exists.
Wireless devices pick it up and allow you to connect to it. Important thing is do we know if it is a legitimate AP or a rogue one.
Imagine being in a public wi-fi spot (like a coffee shop). Anyone with the proper attacking tools, could trick you into connecting to the rogue AP instead of the real one.

Bit of rambling there; but i hope it clarified your questions.
Hiding my SSID and passphrase protecting it are exactly what I did.
(May 30, 2020, 13:05 pm)SectorVector Wrote: The SSID broadcast packets also known as beacon is just like a lighthouse, announcing to all wireless devices that anĀ  AP with given SSID exists.

(May 30, 2020, 22:46 pm)RobertX Wrote: Hiding my SSID and passphrase protecting it are exactly what I did.

Before you go getting all excited thinking hiding the SSID made you more secure, your AP is still sending out that beacon that you exist, just without a name. It's like putting a "Do Not Enter" sign on a door and expecting everyone to honor the sign. If I want to find out the name of your network, there is nothing you can do to stop me.

If you are really looking to make your wireless network secure, you have already been given advice to follow.
Thank you, Moe.

Your words are a little harsh, but succinct and to the point.

Thank you SectorVector and TwoCool as well.

Well, I looked at my router configuration, and saw that the "Channel Width" is 20MHz, which, due Google conversion, is around 14m in wavelength.

Is that healthy? I mean the door of my unit is beyond that measurement.
Chanel width references the beginning and end frequencies the channel uses. The wider the channel, the more bandwidth it can accommodate. Don't change that unless you are sure of what you are doing.

You want to look at turning down the transmitter power, if that is an option at all. If not, don't worry about it. Set a strong password and call it done.