{REQ} Riftrax - Killers from Outer Space
There's a lot more Comments than usual for a RiffTrax release on their site. They seem to be split between being upset that they keep re-Riffing the same movies, but even more rightfully upset that they inexplicably used the old damaged Public Domain transfer of the film, when they could have used the Restored Edition instead. Considering the backlash,
I would honestly be surprised if RiffTrax doesn't update the video source for their Killers In Space VOD sometime in the near future... Blush
Admittedly, it doesn't matter to me personally with a movie like that. If anything, the roughness appeals to me. I'm also very weird, lol.
as long as it's not a "movie" like rollergator, balloonland, a talking cat, etc, it's fine with me. i'd rather everyone be fine with syncing so we can go back to having blockbusters twice a month, but if that's not going to happen then at least it has to be an actual movie. i'd rather they re-riff the same thing five times than have to grit my teeth through someone's home videos.
(Feb 10, 2019, 23:43 pm)enyalep Wrote: as long as it's not a "movie" like rollergator, balloonland, a talking cat, etc, it's fine with me. i'd rather everyone be fine with syncing so we can go back to having blockbusters twice a month, but if that's not going to happen then at least it has to be an actual movie. i'd rather they re-riff the same thing five times than have to grit my teeth through someone's home videos.

Someone somewhere else suggested Rollergator for a live show, and I thought "Are you out of your fucking mind?"
Well, Peter Graves was too young for any Geriatric Thrusting on this one, but let the re-riffening continue!
Thanks a lot, evilmojo !
Greetings all, from a newly registered fan!

I wanted to go on record and say that when it comes to B-movies, especially the older pre-80's stuff, I could care less whether the film quality is crap. MST3K specialized in these and I love them. Frankly, it adds to the charm of the riffing. This new version of KfS was totally watchable and I loved the return to form. In addition, second pass at the material or not, I thought this was one of the most LOL funny riffs Mike and The Boys have done in a while.

Another thing to keep in mind is that public domain or not, the restoration itself is property of the person(s) who restored it. They will typically require a decent sum of money in exchange for the rights to view/air/distribute the cleaned up version which obviously costs RT more dough.

I say all this to say that I love folks riffing to old, crappy prints of decidedly-not-classic films.

To further muddy the waters, I'm also a huge fan of GaryinMotion's Cinematic Editions, not so much for cleaner films, but because I get the entire film (i think!), and I dont have to sit through the host segments when I'm in the mood for straight riffing. Blasphemy, I know!

So, my two cents and greetings all!  Thanks to everyone who shares both old and new!

- Jag73
Great post JetJaguar. Could not have said it better. It is the original concept this formula was built on,
Sounds like the prints they sourced for the original were probably provided by Rhino, before Rhino abandoned the deal for release of the DVDs and they eventually got a new distribution deal with Shout Factory. Rifftrax being a much more financially tight operation, they're probably not sourcing their prints from the same libraries at the same level of expense. (Rhino were obviously not that tight with money, given that the video portion of their company died after the founders left to form Shout Factory so they wouldn't have to deal with Time Warner's bullshit.)
(Feb 10, 2019, 16:16 pm)Tom Servo Wrote: Considering the backlash, I would honestly be surprised if RiffTrax doesn't update the video source for their Killers In Space VOD sometime in the near future... Blush

This was posted yesterday in the Disqus comments section for the Killers In Space VOD. Apparently the RiffTrax Member "Chad Fogus" sent them an email about the issue...
[Image: Update.jpg]
You may want to check on that page in the coming week or so for the High TV update evilmojo... Cool
(Feb 12, 2019, 17:27 pm)JetJaguar73 Wrote: Greetings all, from a newly registered fan!

I wanted to go on record and say that when it comes to B-movies, especially the older pre-80's stuff, I could care less whether the film quality is crap. MST3K specialized in these and I love them. Frankly, it adds to the charm of the riffing. This new version of KfS was totally watchable and I loved the return to form. In addition, second pass at the material or not, I thought this was one of the most LOL funny riffs Mike and The Boys have done in a while.

Another thing to keep in mind is that public domain or not, the restoration itself is property of the person(s) who restored it. They will typically require a decent sum of money in exchange for the rights to view/air/distribute the cleaned up version which obviously costs RT more dough.

I say all this to say that I love folks riffing to old, crappy prints of decidedly-not-classic films.

To further muddy the waters, I'm also a huge fan of GaryinMotion's Cinematic Editions, not so much for cleaner films, but because I get the entire film (i think!), and I dont have to sit through the host segments when I'm in the mood for straight riffing. Blasphemy, I know!

So, my two cents and greetings all!  Thanks to everyone who shares both old and new!

- Jag73

Well put!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mutiny in Outer Space and tickets to next month's show JusSonic 14 2,535 Feb 28, 2024, 20:24 pm
Last Post: ageekyguy
  Teenagers from Outer Space (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 3 1,350 Feb 01, 2024, 01:08 am
Last Post: NexusWraith
  The X from Outer Space Taddghostal 15 8,236 Jan 27, 2024, 19:48 pm
Last Post: Mr7718
  Assignment: Outer Space (with Matthew J. Elliott and Ian Potter) peephalk 10 13,123 Aug 20, 2023, 13:23 pm
Last Post: intransitivelie
  [REQ] The X From Outer Space WakkoBlues 3 3,956 Aug 12, 2023, 00:41 am
Last Post: WakkoBlues