Question about using VPN and browsers
@RYP
TOR:
Keep in mind the difference between TorBrowser, and TOR. And the difference between the Web and the Net.
TorBrowser is an HTTP/HTTPS *Web* browser, and has no effect at all on torrent clients.
I believe the TOR service can be configured for the *net* connection, but its considered really bad nettiquette to try to torrent with it. It would be slow as shit, since it was never designed for high bandwidth. As is typical for modt free proxies.

Running TorBrowser with a VPN is simply an extra level of security. But keep in mind that TOR was designed by the US military. But then again, so was the net.

The point of tap/tun binding is that you never need to be concerned about torrenting and forgetting to turn the VPN on. If you do, the client will not do anything, until the VPN is fired up.
I looked at the specifics of the copyright infringement and I don't recognize the IP they said I used. I looked it up and it's in my area and zip code but it doesn't match my IP like when I do cmd-->ipconfig. This is all pre-VPN. Any possible explanation for that?
You lease an IP address from their pool for a defined amount of time. If you reset your router or turn it off (or your computer if you are directly connected) you will generally be issued a new IP address from the pool. Even if you don't turn it off or reset it, when the lease expires, it is possible to get a different address, but that is a little more rare.

The ISP keeps a log of what subscriber was assigned which address for any given period.
(Jan 14, 2021, 20:43 pm)JGD85 Wrote: I looked at the specifics of the copyright infringement and I don't recognize the IP they said I used. I looked it up and it's in my area and zip code but it doesn't match my IP like when I do cmd-->ipconfig. This is all pre-VPN. Any possible explanation for that?

cmd-->ipconfig shows you your internal ip address (the one your machine is assigned on your local network). If you want to know the ip address your isp has assigned to you, use either of the many free "show my ip" websites in your browser
(Jan 13, 2021, 12:04 pm)Moe Wrote: run your VPN client on the router. 

Like Moe said before, the best way to run your VPN is on a router.  There's no need to worry about anything to do with what is connecting to what and when you switch on your computer because your VPN will always be there running all the time as long as you have your VPN switched on.  You can switch it off if you want, if you're the administrator of your network you can change it if not and it's somebody else who is using your home internet you can make it so that person has to browse online with a VPN which can be good.

VPN is good because you're less likely to get hacked.  I don't think people can really hack VPN if the encryption is high.  If anything it's a bonus to have VPN to stay safe and also hide yourself.  I don't see how internet in 2021 is really possible now without all this, if you want to file share and stay safe there's no other alternative.

Things over the last few years have changed a lot and the 14 eyes, different countries around the world are watching everybody who does online things and if you do something they don't approve of then I guess you're sure to get a letter in the post.
The average folk may not know you can configure an old desktop (and a switch) as a linux router, and add OpenVPN to it.

There are hardware router/vpns but I would not trust them as they are expensive and proprietary.

Some hardware routers, with sufficient memory can be reprogrammed with added software such as a VPN, but typically not a task for the faint hearted, as any errors in reflashing will brick the router.
(Jan 22, 2021, 01:39 am)waregim Wrote: as any errors in reflashing will brick the router.

Could say that about any device.
check https://ipleak.net/ to make sure you do not leak DNs and also make sure webRTC is disabled

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which VPN Providers Take Anonymity Seriously? demonS 161 526,559 Feb 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Last Post: solid_gamer_guy
  VPN, and Tor: Navigating TPB lustrous 2 2,619 Nov 11, 2023, 06:41 am
Last Post: lustrous
  VPN mandatory? Puckje 5 7,884 Aug 26, 2023, 05:33 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018? Ernesto 19 128,159 Jun 29, 2023, 14:04 pm
Last Post: sherb
  European states routinely using spyware, EU Parliament report warns Resurgence 0 7,830 Nov 10, 2022, 13:50 pm
Last Post: Resurgence