Popularity of Java in Today's World
What are some famous examples of programs coded in Java?

Java seems to have disappeared in this world since these few years.

Is it still being used?
Most famous is probably the universal mobile phone platform that became the Android operating system, but it's no longer made in Java.
Not known to most people is the fact Java is originally a cable box basic operating system, and still in use.

Honestly, it was just one of those "fevers", and one of the most annoying at it; the guys who worked with that crap were so crooked, it at least showed the world how pathetic human greed and incompetence can be. Everybody wanted in, in despair for making big business... Now it will be seen as the messy quick-fix it is, a blurred, scrappy page in history.

But it is still in use, like COBOL. Why replace it unless strictly necessary? Cheap managers rather replace hardware, it "pays off" (the books), rewriting apps demands human resources in men-hours and is only useful until the next miracle language comes up.

Java used to be part of the Windows operating system and was included in many Linux'es, but is being deprecated (thanks!)
Having worked with java programs, and even attempts at coding in the past, IMHO it is one of the most dreadful, slow, wasteful, excuses for cyber-excrement in existence. Better off with Ansi-C .

It seems like some javascript forks are coming into their own, like Node , which I know little about. But JS is a web language. I havent seen any real apps written in it. Ruby is a web languange, with support of 'enterprise apps', but is apparently fading in favor of Python on the apps side, and the JS stuff on the web side.

For sys ops in Win, I imagine .NET would be the way to go. In Linux Python appears to be replacing Perl
A friend of mine had a web scraper built in Java running on windows 7/8/2012 desktop. It was surprisingly fast. scraped 10 years of data, loading 1 week at a time in about 90 minutes, zero errors in scrape. A similar one was attempted in python with Selenium and it took over 14 hours, with errors (e.g. weeks in queue being skipped over).

Doesn't mean Python is worthless, as it can do some manipulation stuff quick. Different tools for the job. You could have used .NET/C# or even pure c++ for the scraper. But then you have cross-platform issue. Whatever gets the job done. With complex tasks, you might end up linking several mini programs together (some of which use different languages).
(Sep 17, 2019, 08:12 am)arainc Wrote: A similar one was attempted in python with Selenium and it took over 14 hours, with errors (e.g. weeks in queue being skipped over). 

I build many scrappers with selenium (python) and they worked great, I assume you refer to selenium in java? (if whoever builds it doesn't know python well. then, of course, he will have errors, and it will take longer, it's like comparing apples with oranges)
I'll be sure to do that, bobhyatt, thanks! Confused
(Jul 22, 2019, 05:43 am)dueda Wrote: Most famous is probably the universal mobile phone platform that became the Android operating system, but it's no longer made in Java.

If you mean that today it is built with Kotlin, it still produces bytecode run by the JVM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Java Course Materials RobertX 6 6,011 Mar 20, 2024, 23:54 pm
Last Post: stp99
  how can i learn to use Java efficiently Blue_Bon 10 7,470 Feb 26, 2024, 08:41 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Question About the Concept of Abstracts in Java RobertX 4 3,211 Jan 17, 2024, 07:50 am
Last Post: gulshan212
  [Release] OfflineBay v2 - Open source and No more Java dependency techtac 55 318,416 Apr 01, 2022, 13:42 pm
Last Post: UnknownIdot
  Regarding to Purpose for .class files in Java ankitdixit 1 10,547 Mar 10, 2022, 14:26 pm
Last Post: RobertX