Personal Security Checklist
Came across this the other day.  Looked like a good list for all things privacy.  Also has lists for privacy-respecting software and how-to guides, and more:

https://github.com/Lissy93/personal-security-checklist

A more basic TLDR version is available here:

https://github.com/Lissy93/personal-secu...rt_List.md
Good stuff all around
I just skimmed through the list and I like what I saw.

Do you know if there is another version of this, say, translated in another language?

My mother or my Mainland Chinese friend who migrated here recently might be interested. They can talk English, but they might want to feel right at home by reading this in their own language.

Thanks!
I see Google translate does not work well with the page.

You might gave better luck with some other translation software, perhaps Babylon? Linux has some, but right now the system is down here, so cannot check.

The general advice is good, but i do think it overemphasizes the importance of passwords.
Its not what scummers use these days.

They use RATs - Remote Access Trojans. No matter how strong your passwords, they will simply be sent over along with whatever else from the PWNd machine.

Best advice: Never EVER use unsolicited updates of anything. Or open unsolicited attachments. And shut down ALL windows services (services.msc) dealing with BITS, remote access, or un-needed protocols. Hint: OpenVPN does not require any of the Windows VPN protocols to work.

Learn to use a HOSTS file, as well as maybe something like BeeThink for additional blocking. And ALWAYS use adblockers on browsers, as well as LSO type blockers like Ghostery.

With the basics down, you can click on known boogers and watch most of them hopelessly flail around before self destructing.

As to advice for little old ladies, I would keep it simple:
Tell them to use online email (and dont download attachments).
Try to get them to boot up to Linux Live DVD's (Mint makes a good one).
Dissuade them from using online banking - its the prime target for every scummer in creation.
And keep social networking to a minimum of close friends and relatives. With everything as private as possible. I believe the Chinese system is much more secure than facebook and the like, but i could be wrong!
If using Windows, advise them to keep all personal information, lile pictures and documents on an external drive, normally turned OFF.
(Feb 20, 2021, 02:44 am)RobertX Wrote: I just skimmed through the list and I like what I saw.

Do you know if there is another version of this, say, translated in another language?

My mother or my Mainland Chinese friend who migrated here recently might be interested. They can talk English, but they might want to feel right at home by reading this in their own language.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think the authors of the list gave much thought to other languages (like so many of us English speaking folk).  I can see how it might not work so well with google translate, I mean google sucks at subtitles let alone something where even more accuracy might matter. I guess since your mother or Mainland Chinese friend speaks both languages they could try running through some translation tool and compare when it doesn't make sense. But from my own experience of working in the opposite direction I always decide it's not worth the trouble with anything technical.  Although, it would be enjoyable irony to use google to translate the part that tells you not to use google to translate web pages Smile
On-topic: Thanks!

Off-topic: I was just messing around with Google Translate with putting some phrases together. This what I happened:

- In Chinese, I inputted this: Google是一家勒索性公司。
- In English, it came out as this: Google is a blackmail company.

I kid you not, that's what happened! Big Grin
Too funny!   Big Grin   Sounds about right, though.
(Feb 20, 2021, 23:46 pm)RobertX Wrote: 是一家勒索性公司。

You forgot to say what were you trying to translate.
I did, and that's what I was trying to translate.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

EDIT: Anyhow, I wasn't trying to translate anything, as I know how blackmail/extortion is written in Standard Chinese. I was dicking around with the tool. It's fascinating to realise that the translation tool is dead-honest, like Lt. Cmdr. Data.
(Feb 22, 2021, 20:11 pm)RobertX Wrote: I did, ... not sure what you mean.

Ok, just to clear any doubts, I'm not native in English semantics and understood your post like it translated wrong, so wanted your translation to compare - but if you say it's ok, then it's done.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mongolians to be alerted when their personal data is used Resurgence 0 8,775 Jun 22, 2022, 00:49 am
Last Post: Resurgence
  US: Social Security Numbers most targeted sensitive data Resurgence 0 9,071 Feb 01, 2022, 20:39 pm
  EU watchdog orders Europol to delete personal data unrelated to crimes Resurgence 0 9,814 Jan 10, 2022, 20:08 pm
  US: Los Angeles police officers collect social media data and social security numbers Resurgence 0 13,274 Sep 10, 2021, 01:57 am
  7 million Israelis have personal data stolen by hacker Resurgence 0 11,099 Sep 08, 2021, 01:17 am