Personal Riff Projects
I forget who recently said they were working on a new riff project, but I am also trying to get in the game.

This is a thread for news, announcements, etc. Hopefully, eventually, a thread for NEW RIFFS! By us!

I am very slowly working on two projects: a standard riff for a movie deserving of it, and a riff for something that doesn't deserve it at all, and might not work for those that speak French. (Did I already give away too much?!) I don't want to reveal the two titles just yet, but I can guarantee that you will love these free riffs or double your money back!

Let us know if you have any riffs in the works, encourage those working on riffs, or just poopoo on all our fun and shibby* the thread.

*shibby: to ruin or monetize fun
Shibby was like the Penguin in Batman Returns. I still haven't gotten over him trying to kill all of our first born sons.
I am *very* much looking forward to your new riff-project, MM, and think you'll have a very different take on the art-form.

The other person whom mentioned starting-up a riffjoint was Tardisjockey, and I am *very* much looking forward to seeing their work, as well.  Smile
When I stumbled on this thread, I was finishing up my first riff project. I uploaded it to YouTube yesterday. I humbly post a link for "Hot Rod Girl" here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpcgwPHySqo
(Apr 02, 2022, 13:37 pm)Helles Wrote: When I stumbled on this thread, I was finishing up my first riff project.  I uploaded it to YouTube yesterday. I humbly post a link for "Hot Rod Girl" here.

I'd love to check it out, but you gotta get into ducking the audio under your riff.
(Apr 02, 2022, 13:37 pm)Helles Wrote: When I stumbled on this thread, I was finishing up my first riff project.  I uploaded it to YouTube yesterday. I humbly post a link for "Hot Rod Girl" here.

I've watched about 3/4 and congrats on the effort. Funny stuff and the movie was fun, nice choice.
I'd be happy to see more and if I may make a couple of suggestions:
I like your material, I'd prefer a bit more joke density.
Also, hearing your breathing can be a little distracting, fine tuning the audio and ducking would be nice. But I found your work to be totally watchable.

And to the OP, spirit of thread, I'm happy to support everyone's efforts. Best wishes

Thank you! The thread is no longer a virgin! Can't wait to watch it.

Hmmm. I've never made a public folder for storing files, but it's something I plan to look into*. It'd be nice to have a place where we can upload our work for archival purposes.

*It will have to be a free option right now as my budget is approaching... ABSOLUTE ZERO!!
(Rising organ music, curtain.)
Kaboom, by the time I was 6 minutes into it, I was already incredibly impressed.  I’ve put it on a private playlist. 

Love the laid back style, vocal intonations, the timing… It’s like a more “macho” version of Trace, yet completely your own thing; inspired by Trace w/out ripping him off.  Also a very savvy choice of film for your voice/joke-construction/“vibe”.  Pacing is great; you didn’t seem to feel the need to waste a jibe on a shot that doesn’t need it. Or satirise decent dialogue from the film. 

EQ/audio is very good; doesn’t sound like “Spongebobians” in a cellar with a Blue Yeti.  (Of course, if you used a Blue Yeti for this, I’ll go from “amazed” to “astounded”.)

You have jokes that are “adult” but not “Twitch-twit” crass.  (Obviously The Mads and MJ are on twitch; they are exceptions.). Good use of “funny-voices”; you didn’t do anything you could not pull-off.  With the sarcasm, you knew when to hit the pedal, knew when to ease back, just like the racers in the film.

Plus, you had the cojones to tackle a feature-film right out of the gate, rather than a public-domain short.  Again, incredibly impressed.

More compliments to follow.  Great job.  Can’t wait for more from you. Honestly, one would have thought you’d been doing this for years.  /sincere applause
The lack of support for this thread is rather appalling. Evidenced not only by the lack of replies, but by the lack of VIEWS.  Frankly, I would have expected at least a nominal comment from "so called artsy people", especially those whom live (or whom have lived) in "artsy" areas or whom tout their "artsy" knowledge.  Not ONE vote of support for MM's future comedic-riffing-effort?  Not ONE?  Not one proper critique for the hours x hours which Helles put into his effort, taking note of the construction of his jokes and the placement of them, versus just mentioning "ducking"? (Which I always advocate but somebody else said was unnecessary.)

WHAT encouragement does this provide to Meat Market, or others?  TRAD riffers are gonna phase themselves OUT and then we are gonna need new blood to entertain us (or make the content ourselves).  I would think that anyone from the Bay Area, or Soho, or Sydney, or Melbourne, or "berserkeley", or Portland or AUSTIN, would have had a bit more clit, "peen", spine or gumption than that, if they claim to support the arts and "riffing".  Because all the MST3K alumni are gonna retire, relatively soon, and then, probably, we will be left with "Spongebobians" whom are the antithesis of "smart comedy", and real riffing is ALWAYS SMART (versus bong-suckers using a shure sm7b just because they saw other twichers using it after those same nimnulls used a Blue Yeti after seeing nimnulls using THAT).

Show some goddamn respect to the artform you CLAIM to love, especially if you purport to be "an artsy person", and give a REAL critique, versus "technical crap", or better yet, make some riffs of your own (WITHOUT a shitty mic and audio set-up).

And before anyone asks, yes, I do riffs, yes I do ducking, but I've made fun of people whom clearly would "drag" things.  So I won't be sharing [publicly] here thanks to "Spongebobians" whom haven't "done anything".  Proper riffing takes time & effort (which 4chan brats would never understand).  You need a decent mic, but more importantly you need to know how to USE the mic, and then edit with "nuance".

Helles work is FAB and NO-ONE talked about the joke-construction or the timing (aside from myself).  Rectify that.

(Mar 26, 2022, 16:52 pm)Meat Trademark Wrote: I forget who recently said they were working on a new riff project, but I am also trying to get in the game.

This is a thread for news, announcements, etc. Hopefully, eventually, a thread for NEW RIFFS! By us!

I am very slowly working on two projects: a standard riff for a movie deserving of it, and a riff for something that doesn't deserve it at all, and might not work for those that speak French. (Did I already give away too much?!) I don't want to reveal the two titles just yet, but I can guarantee that you will love these free riffs or double your money back!

Let us know if you have any riffs in the works, encourage those working on riffs, or just poopoo on all our fun and shibby* the thread.

*shibby: to ruin or monetize fun

"might not work for those that speak French."

I'm hoping you are not gonna inflict a Béatrice Dalle film on us, here.  She's amazing, but a nutcase, and accurately portrays nutcases.  Best case  scenario is that you will be riffing a Jean Rollin film. Hopefully "Night of the Hunted", uncut, or "Grapes of Death".  Both fab films, though unable to be parsed by TikkyTokkyTardians.
(Apr 02, 2022, 21:01 pm)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: Kaboom, by the time I was 6 minutes into it, I was already incredibly impressed.  I’ve put it on a private playlist. 

Love the laid back style, vocal intonations, the timing… It’s like a more “macho” version of Trace, yet completely your own thing; inspired by Trace w/out ripping him off.  Also a very savvy choice of film for your voice/joke-construction/“vibe”.  Pacing is great; you didn’t seem to feel the need to waste a jibe on a shot that doesn’t need it. Or satirise decent dialogue from the film. 

EQ/audio is very good; doesn’t sound like “Spongebobians” in a cellar with a Blue Yeti.  (Of course, if you used a Blue Yeti for this, I’ll go from “amazed” to “astounded”.)

You have jokes that are “adult” but not “Twitch-twit” crass.  (Obviously The Mads and MJ are on twitch; they are exceptions.). Good use of “funny-voices”; you didn’t do anything you could not pull-off.  With the sarcasm, you knew when to hit the pedal, knew when to ease back, just like the racers in the film.

Plus, you had the cojones to tackle a feature-film right out of the gate, rather than a public-domain short.  Again, incredibly impressed.

More compliments to follow.  Great job.  Can’t wait for more from you. Honestly, one would have thought you’d been doing this for years.  /sincere applause

Holy crap!  Thank you so much for the praise!  I am encouraged by your critique and very appreciative of the feedback. Very appreciative.  I did not use a Blue Yeti, but rather a headset with mic.  When I tested the audio on Audacity, it sounded fine (but what do I know) so I went with it. I guess I need to figure out how to duck the audio. 

I have written three more scripts, but I'm not sure I can post them on YouTube.  Perhaps somebody with more knowledge on the subject could chime in before I waste anymore time polishing these scripts.  The movies are "Target Earth", "The Brain Eaters" and "It Came from Outer Space".  I knew I was safe with "Hot Rod Girl" because I was sure it was in the public domain. 

I can't wait to watch projects from you guys!
Doug

(Apr 02, 2022, 19:13 pm)NotRichBatman Wrote:

I've watched about 3/4 and congrats on the effort. Funny stuff and the movie was fun, nice choice.
I'd be happy to see more and if I may make a couple of suggestions:
I like your material, I'd prefer a bit more joke density.
Also, hearing your breathing can be a little distracting, fine tuning the audio and ducking would be nice. But I found your work to be totally watchable.

And to the OP, spirit of thread, I'm happy to support everyone's efforts. Best wishes

Thank you!  I'm glad you thought it was funny and that is the highest praise I could hope for. 

I understand what you're saying about joke density.  I struggled with putting in jokes I didn't think were that great just to be filling in space.  I actually cut out several jokes because I felt like I was just talking to talk.  Having watched Mike, Kevin and Bill for years, I know not all jokes are going to be laugh out loud funny.   I tried to make sure there was at least one joke per minute, but I think a couple of spots went to a minute and a half.

I need to figure out how to duck and to definitely adjust the mic so I'm not breathing on it!

Thanks again!
Doug

(Apr 02, 2022, 19:03 pm)inelegy Wrote:

I'd love to check it out, but you gotta get into ducking the audio under your riff.

Thank you.  Point taken.  I'm definitely a newbie with the process, so I'll do some research on how to duck the audio.  Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIIIGHWAYY TO THE Top Gun: Maverick riff savindwales 1 2,650 Nov 10, 2023, 19:35 pm
Last Post: MATMAN
  Movie riff suggestion Dr. Nobody 0 2,546 Sep 28, 2023, 03:05 am
Last Post: Dr. Nobody
  [REQ] Star Trek Motion &Star Trek Nemises riff cousinbow 12 6,287 Sep 03, 2023, 18:47 pm
Last Post: DoctorChimera
  A Very Merry Riff-mas (with Bridget and Mary Jo) peephalk 8 12,824 Aug 22, 2023, 13:36 pm
Last Post: intransitivelie
  JURASSIC UNIVERSE(Riff Compilation) Jurassic Pee 3 4,690 Jun 16, 2023, 19:48 pm
Last Post: kkt