Perl vs. PHP
I'm writing a message board application for my home network and am trying to find a good programming language to help me do just that.

I am presently trying to find a way to make Perl that language to aid me, but many things are very complicated with Perl.

In my school project, I did a similar thing and I used PHP and that language made it easy.

How does SuprBay does its messages?
Suprbay runs on MyBB which is written in PHP. It's open source, so you could just grab a copy instead of reinventing the wheel: https://mybb.com/
Thanks for the reply, ill88eagle.

I won't be depending on other people's code since I want to reacquaint myself with Perl or PHP.

I have nothing against open source as I use open source, but if I rely on code that I didn't write, then the purpose of a revision would be defeated.

This isn't important as it's not a school project, so I will look at MyBB at last resort; I don't have to worry about cheating.
Well, the PHP part is mostly a front-end of a mySQL database (serving threads as webpages in a neat readable way etc), and then there is some JS for dynamic input (the 'reply' and 'new thread' editors). It would probably be a good idea to study the code under all circumstances.
illl88eagle, have you ever developed a PHP message board before?

Back in college, I archive all message submissions in the MySQL database. It worked magically, but it did look like a Facebook page more than a message board. Yuck!

This time around, I am trying to do this in Perl. I am having a hard time because that would mean that I need to link everything to a cgi-bin folder. Now, is that considered poor practise?
(Nov 27, 2020, 19:54 pm)RobertX Wrote: illl88eagle, have you ever developed a PHP message board before?

Sort of - I worked a while on modding the MyBB software to function as a torrent indexer. It came out nicely but then I realized filtering out fake torrents was near impossible

(Nov 27, 2020, 19:54 pm)RobertX Wrote: This time around, I am trying to do this in Perl. I am having a hard time because that would mean that I need to link everything to a cgi-bin folder. Now, is that considered poor practise?

I've never really worked in perl besides irc scripts for xchat.
Perl is my main scripting language that I know best.
I would *NOT* write a web page with it.
CGI scripting has been long abandoned by most everyone, and I dont think mod-perl (Apache) is even used anymore.

I had an OSCommerce PHP website and used Perl to script database uploads for MySQL. I've done alot of mods with PHP but dont particularly like it as a language, nor the hamfisted way they have gone about deprecating functions between versions.

Ideally a handcrafted website these days would be written in the Javascript/Node ecosystem.

I may be needing to craft a website in the near future, and as I do not particularly care for JS that much, I will likely make a Django site and hone my Python skills.

In a pinch, there is always Ruby, with Rails websites, but Ruby is a bit too underpowered for real data flows - compared to Python and even Perl. Like ecommerce with 50,000 items.

If you are going to put the website on a public host, then the real challenge is not writing the website, but securing it.
Master .htaccess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Structuring the PHP site ClassicAsca 4 21,709 Sep 12, 2017, 01:28 am
Last Post: floki
  PHP-naming vs. HTML-naming RobertX 10 36,484 Feb 02, 2017, 18:04 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Trying to create php pages automatically ? Uplaoder 2 18,498 Aug 04, 2016, 02:54 am
Last Post: Uplaoder
  Trouble with Splitting in Perl RobertX 5 20,260 Mar 30, 2014, 13:18 pm
Last Post: RobertX