Periscope trolls to face 'instant jury'
Periscope is to put its users in charge of policing offensive comments with a crowd-sourced post moderation system.

Comments flagged as inappropriate by one person will be instantly sent to others for review, and could result in a ban for the original poster.
The Twitter-owned video streaming app said "people in a broadcast are best suited to determine what's okay and what's not".
One expert welcomed the feature but said it could be misused in some cases.
Periscope said it wanted comment moderation on the platform to work in real time, to complement the live content in its app.
"Periscope is real-time, people should be able to report and moderate comments as they appear on the screen," it said in a blog post.
It said a handful of live-stream viewers would be chosen at random to vote whether reported comments were appropriate.
If the instant jury decides a comment is offensive, the writer will be temporarily banned from chatting in the live broadcast.

"It's potentially a good idea," Mark Griffiths, professor of psychology at Nottingham Trent University, told the BBC.
"People learn from experience, so if somebody writes a comment and gets blocked from the live chat, perhaps they'll see what they wrote in a different light."
However, crowd-sourced moderation could also be used to silence opinions in a live-stream on a political issue or other sensitive topic.
"There are good intentions behind it, but when it comes to abuse online, things can be quite subjective," said Prof Griffiths.
"As with anything like this, these systems can be abused if people want to abuse them, particularly in political conversations.
"Obviously the main message is that there are always other options available to users, and this is one additional reporting tool to the ones already on Twitter and Periscope," he said.

Originally Published: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:02:28 GMT
source
Interesting.

I don't expect anything like this will be implemented on TPB but this is the first realistically practical "user content rating" system I've seen. A random selection of jurors--online at the time of a report--rather than letting anyone and everyone (and their puppets) attack over all time, and temporary bans rather than permanent.

I would add similar length bans (I'm thinking 1-3 days) for anyone reporting something that a jury judged acceptable. If you're going to teach people "by experience" to not be offensive you should also teach people by experience to not take offense too easily. And make it a one time deal so that once content has been judged it cannot be reported again.

Perhaps add in thresholds so that people repeatedly posting crap, or reporting legitimate content, are banned for increasing periods of time.

I think that could work quite well for torrents and comments.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large-scale online pirates to face up to 10 years’ jail under ministers’ proposals The_Abee 0 10,534 Jul 18, 2015, 03:24 am
Last Post: The_Abee
  FBI Wants Pirate Bay Logs to Expose Copyright Trolls Ernesto 2 11,288 Jul 04, 2015, 19:36 pm
Last Post: gcjm
  Cloudflare Reveals Pirate Site Locations in an Instant Ernesto 0 9,348 Jun 29, 2015, 10:30 am
Last Post: Ernesto
  Defences against Dallas Buyers Club “settle or face large fines” letters The_Abee 0 11,263 Jun 21, 2015, 11:39 am
  Media attention to piracy is overblown, says Periscope founder! The_Abee 0 8,727 May 10, 2015, 15:01 pm