New Season of MST3k Crowdfunding has failed.
Only $2,715,304 of the $4,000,000 was raised - 68% of what was needed. Blame Joel, Felicia, Emma, Patton, the unwatchable new Crow or the creeping political correctness. But for me it was the bad writing and the assumption that people would support anything, no matter how bad, with the MST3K logo attached.  
I've enjoyed the new seasons just fine. The writing took a few episodes at the start to find a groove, but I've definitely preferred it over no new MST.

That said, the reason I didn't back this one was that Joel desperately needs to learn how to budget a production. It's getting way overinflated each newer season. Get back to basics, trim the fat, and I will 100% be there.
Sad to see it fail, but I'm hopeful that Joel reevaluates what the show should be and prioritizes in that direction: a lean, low budget show knocked together by a talented and dedicated few. That, or leave well enough alone. In his own way he's become a bit Lucasfilm with his bloated reimagining and epic expansions of the IP. It's just a smart, silly little puppet show that makes fun of movies, not something that takes a, I dunno, an end credit crawl of hundreds to put together. In the age of talented no-budget YouTube creators, his version of MST seems a bit ridiculous.
(Nov 26, 2023, 13:05 pm)inelegy Wrote: Sad to see it fail, but I'm hopeful that Joel reevaluates what the show should be and prioritizes in that direction:  a lean, low budget show knocked together by a talented and dedicated few.  That, or leave well enough alone.  In his own way he's become a bit Lucasfilm with his bloated reimagining and epic expansions of the IP.  It's just a smart, silly little puppet show that makes fun of movies, not something that takes a, I dunno, an end credit crawl of hundreds to put together.  In the age of talented no-budget YouTube creators, his version of MST seems a bit ridiculous.

So true. The meat and potatoes and why Rifftrax is great is the riffing. All this other window dressing is superfluous and bloat. I found myself fast forwarding through all the skits and gloss. Who needs a Gyzmoplex?
(Nov 26, 2023, 04:10 am)MATMAN Wrote: [...] or the creeping political correctness. But for me it was the bad writing and the assumption that people would support anything, no matter how bad, with the MST3K logo attached.  

What political correctness caused people not to fund the new season?
(Nov 26, 2023, 13:05 pm)inelegy Wrote: a lean, low budget show knocked together by a talented and dedicated few. That, or leave well enough alone.

agree very much that Joel and MST3K both have lost quite a bit of their luster and status in recent times

can you imagine if Joel just hired Kevin, Trace, Frank, and Mike to work on a ten-episode new season in his garage? on the cheap, no gimmicks, no e-celebrities, just jokes and and the basics and ten new classic episodes with host segments that don't acknowledge any specific point in the MST3K timeline.
something like that would be fun and cheap to do, and please the fans to no end, so of course Joel wouldn't do it
(Nov 26, 2023, 14:04 pm)WakkoBlues Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2023, 04:10 am)MATMAN Wrote: [...] or the creeping political correctness. But for me it was the bad writing and the assumption that people would support anything, no matter how bad, with the MST3K logo attached.  

I'm pretty sure he's just doing a great meta commentary about how thin-skinned morons that call others snowflakes are actually the biggest snowflakes themselves since they can't tolerate anything not cast with 100% straight white dudes?!  Cuz thankfully Season 13 was no more PC than Joel's old fashioned Minnesotan sensibilities way back in Season 1.
(Nov 26, 2023, 14:45 pm)tripletap006 Wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's just doing a great meta commentary about how thin-skinned morons that call others snowflakes are actually the biggest snowflakes themselves since they can't tolerate anything not cast with 100% straight white dudes?!  Cuz thankfully Season 13 was no more PC than Joel's old fashioned Minnesotan sensibilities way back in Season 1.

Joel is From the Green Bay, Wisconsin area.
You guys wondering why Joel doesn't just do a cheap production like in the old days are missing the entire point, which is that doing it that way wouldn't allow Joel to pocket half the crowd-sourced funds.

I've always, even in the old MST3K days, suspected that Jim Mallon took a lot of heat about greedy business practices that should have actually been attributed to Joel. And I still believe it.
(Nov 26, 2023, 14:45 pm)tripletap006 Wrote:

It's great that they replaced the hard r Gypsy with the gga GPC, I know how hard it is for obscure groups of white people to get representation, but they don't let the one black guy they know be on camera.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MST3K: Fire Maidens of Outer Space and Attack of the Eye Creatures mazzy_star 0 272 Apr 23, 2024, 16:27 pm
Last Post: mazzy_star
  New Youtube account with MST3K episodes subtitled Gordon 3 799 Apr 12, 2024, 17:34 pm
Last Post: eskaton
  Has anyone ever "fixed" Rifftrax Live Time Chasers? ageekyguy 3 796 Apr 10, 2024, 11:19 am
Last Post: ageekyguy
  REQ: MST3K Tribute to...I Accuse My Parents and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank moondoggy1111 18 9,802 Apr 07, 2024, 18:41 pm
Last Post: ageekyguy
  (Request) MST3K Doctor Mordrid (premiere/event) BlueThev 0 388 Apr 06, 2024, 17:35 pm
Last Post: BlueThev