My thoughts on piracy
Sorry if I came down a little harsh.

When I come here, I know that I am breaking local laws, as if they really matter, although I think I am decent enough to consider buying it when it becomes feasible.

If I am in a positon to choose, I would pay the author directly and not the suing middleman so he can have fun torturing us.

dolly, as you grow older, you will find that this matter will become more ambiguous than you think in your youth. Soak up as much naivete as you can, you will find it in short supply after this.
(Mar 21, 2016, 14:45 pm)dolly_cat Wrote:
(Mar 21, 2016, 14:42 pm)RobertX Wrote: dolly cat, I don't think we need to be lectured by what is right and wrong.

We know what we are doing when we come here, and why.

///for newbies and/or newcomers

Man... I'm so tired I haven't slept for 2 days... I just keep wiring myself with Redbull , Pepsi, Mountain Dew and the what not not,
so here I go again...

Everything done (everything) should have a proper plan, form and/or structure, if you want to manage yourself to get the best results of what you are looking for.

Brushing your teeth, cooking a meal ETC, Anything and everything. I read a post from someone a while ago that i wholeheartedly agree to. I think Stormium said "if it can be measured it can be managed" Kinda to my point but let's break down the question.

What is the question here???     I'm taking it from Dolly cat's bump of this thread as the basis of my posts, because I enjoyed reading the thread from page 1 to now.

I'm really tired and as you all know I type like I talk. And hopefully it won't be a tl;dr LZA posts.hahahah  I changed my and am Headbanging to Metallica... Can't remember why something propped me in to listening to them, but I am.

So The Question is: should Piracy be legal or illegal. I don't think it's a question of should. Piracy IS illegal. Should it be acceptable?? That's another argument... Put it in it's proper perspective.

in most states in America, pot is still illegal, but should it be acceptable??? parallel that.

I think Pirating should be illegal from a legal standpoint,but still acceptable from a community standpoint.. meaning, leave it is how it is...

If I had the means to buy something, and had the circumstance to be able to steal it, my personal conscience (right ot worng, but honest)... I'd say Id' still steal it... just saying it... I thing those with the intelligence but not the means to get something, should still be able to get something... so I like piracy.

We shouldn't have to go without, just because we don't have the money to pay for it... JMHO....
Not everyone "steals" when they can.

I usually raid flea markets and second hand stores whenever I can. It's fun going there; you don't know what you can find.

If I want a retail copy and can't find it in those stores, then I go to HMV or somewhere else like that.

For software, I try to get open source or otherwise freeware; it's more satisfying than piracy. I've always said, if there is one thing that will beat piracy, it is open source software.

That's my two Canadian dollars.
[quote pid='42274' dateline='1398065073']
joew771

I, and most of you reading this, are breaking the law (and probably most of us every day). I personally don't give a shit that I am, or that any of you are, but at least I'm realistic about it being illegal. But fuck them. I honestly don't care myself whether it's legal or not. I'll keep doing it until I am stopped somehow, either way.

So if you agree and think it's illegal, why do you keep doing it? Maybe because the risk of getting punished for it is so low? Because it's so easy? What?

[/quote]

joew771

I have watched this thread with interest and thank you for bringing it to the fore.

I understand we are all breakin the law and unless you live a pious life you will break different laws daily. I have often wondered what they could do to me for downloading illegally and would I care if they tried.  People on here are from all walks of life and lifestyle , I suppose from my point of view I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck. Write to me, threaten me, intimidate me and generally be a pain in the arse, what can they gain?? Oh a fine of some sort and then I don't pay, litigation and so forth.

My will and executors can bat that away because it's not worth there while.

Those of you on here who have known me over the years will understand where I am coming from others will have to read between the lines. The clock of time runs out at some point for all of us and I will be prolific in my posts while I can. This post will be altered or put in the void by a Idiot Mod yes you stormium you but you with your vitriolic ways won't be able to hurt me anymore. 

This is my way of signing off officially I will keep going and probably post more than ever for days, weeks, months and to the fuckers who want to dominate you fellow pirates two fingers.

I know I have gone off topic a little so I will get naughty points, put on the naughty step or banned by stormium who know doubt will get hard on reading this.

God bless my friends that I have made too many to name fight on .

To the rest of admin I have enjoyed many years I joined the original PB within months of it's conception a long time ago.  

TPB good luck keep the wind to your back your sails be full.

snill 
(Mar 24, 2016, 15:34 pm)RobertX Wrote: Not everyone "steals" when they can.

I usually raid flea markets and second hand stores whenever I can. It's fun going there; you don't know what you can find.

If I want a retail copy and can't find it in those stores, then I go to HMV or somewhere else like that.

For software, I try to get open source or otherwise freeware; it's more satisfying than piracy. I've always said, if there is one thing that will beat piracy, it is open source software.

That's my two Canadian dollars.

Ya, I agree with you. Just because I can steal doesn't mean I always do. And I don't steal shit just because I can. Like I said, before in posts in other threads. I've spent tens of thousands on 10 dollar cassettes and then 15 dollar cds. along with vhs's which were thrown out by my new step mom when they were cleansing the house of the old family stuff... Plus, my Father bought all the series of Sopranos, which died when he died, so I thank BigDadE for replenishing my copies of that...

I do think artists should be paid for what they do... These fucking raido/album contracts are too much for the companies, not for the artists. Baaaahh

(Mar 24, 2016, 18:21 pm)snilloc Wrote: [quote pid='42274' dateline='1398065073']
joew771

I, and most of you reading this, are breaking the law (and probably most of us every day). I personally don't give a shit that I am, or that any of you are, but at least I'm realistic about it being illegal. But fuck them. I honestly don't care myself whether it's legal or not. I'll keep doing it until I am stopped somehow, either way.

So if you agree and think it's illegal, why do you keep doing it? Maybe because the risk of getting punished for it is so low? Because it's so easy? What?

joew771

I have watched this thread with interest and thank you for bringing it to the fore.

I understand we are all breakin the law and unless you live a pious life you will break different laws daily. I have often wondered what they could do to me for downloading illegally and would I care if they tried.  People on here are from all walks of life and lifestyle , I suppose from my point of view I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck. Write to me, threaten me, intimidate me and generally be a pain in the arse, what can they gain?? Oh a fine of some sort and then I don't pay, litigation and so forth.
[/quote]

Laws were put forth originally because people as the masses (sheep-) can't be left to their own to self monitoring, or they will say " they didn't tell me it was wrong, so just dun did it. like murder, rape and the like... People have to be so micromanaged that they have to be told how to act in every little circumstance (law for everything)   I think the laws were put in place by the record companies to preserve the money and assure that it goes in their pockets.

I think that cultural shit (shit we pirate) is not as bad as murdering someone... Pirate is just preserving the matter of greed, and keeping the money in their pockets... The artists shouldn't suffer, the companies should suffer, but they got the legal by their side to ensure that that doesn't happen...The record companies/businessmen fucks who play no part in the creative part should take the hit....
For the record, I don't break any laws and never have. Not even one.
Good for you.
I believe you
I find this to be an interesting subject, registered just to put my 2c in lol. Laws are changing right in front of us. Things that are illegal now, never used to be.

Not that long ago, piracy was not just copying and distributing, but actually selling someone else's work for a profit. And I think we can all agree, that really is just stealing. But outside of that, people all around the world were doing exactly the sort of thing we now consider to be bad and in some countries illegal, and nobody cared. I honestly doubt there were many 1st world kids in the 80's that did not make mix tapes of their favorite songs recorded off the radio, which they then shared with friends. Heck, we capped movies to VHS and shared those too.

The plot thickens.. Some companies like Sony, before they bought into the entertainment industry in the 90's, actually supplied the equipment we all used to copy music and video. Twin deck machines with dub mode designed for copying, and the blank tapes to put things on. Now they are a multi billion dollar entertainment company that spends untold sums of cash lobbying our politicians to make new laws. According to Sony's lawyers. In this century, just copying a song you bought once.. for your own use.. is stealing. What a load of horse droppings..

So times change right.. the internet came along and now people share content with total strangers for absolutely nothing.. Do we need to update laws to suit.. Sure. Are tighter laws the answer to the problem... Uhh no, apparently not. The entertainment industry has to change too. They can't just keep trucking along doing what they always did, upping the prices every year along the way and paying the politicians who are supposed to represent us, to strip us of our privacy and make us all criminals for daring to think that by buying a copy of a song, we actually own the right to listen to it.

I don't have my head in the sand. I know that good movies cost money to make. And I don't begrudge musicians for being successful. Although if a few more people don't get to drive supercars and live in mansions, well that's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make. But I don't expect something for nothing. The reason I am here is because I live in a remote location where I get barely any television signal. Quite simply I download the shows that I could watch for free anyway if only I lived about 20 minutes away on the other side of a big hill. The same shows that my friends are talking about. Shows that are not even available for purchase.

Am I doing something wrong? probably. Do I feel like a criminal? Not in the slightest. Are any big companies losing revenue? No.

I disagree with some of what is posted before me on this thread. Laws are being made for one reason and one reason only.. Greed. Not because people can't tell right from wrong. But because big greedy corporations have forced their hand with extravagant pricing whilst totally failing to actually move their business model with the times.

How stupid could they be? They have spent tens of millions of dollars just trying to get rid of TBP alone.. When any idiot could see that it is a ready made high speed digital distribution platform.
Well put.

For those who want to watch 'legal' movies, you can come here: www.vodo.net

It's a site where independent film makers make their works available for free or cheap under the Creative Commons Licence.

If you're tired of the same old Batman or Superman sequel, go there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commentary: Piracy is good, really RobertX 1 791 Feb 18, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: Fawkesguy
  Hi! New to Piracy, please help! Crow1xz4 4 9,815 Mar 30, 2022, 23:31 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  What's a good way to promote and monetize my blog using torrents and piracy? LadyAnn2 5 13,562 Aug 08, 2021, 14:31 pm
Last Post: waregim
  Is the online piracy community dead? renhoek93 36 60,290 Jul 25, 2021, 21:22 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Research Study on Digital Piracy Psyva 14 22,225 Apr 02, 2020, 03:50 am
Last Post: centaur2469