My Customised GNU/Linux Distros: Is it worth sharing?
Your images are 'custom' because you've modified their source code, or because they're bloated with software you installed?

If you've modified the source code you could upload that one in a public Git with build instructions and should be way less than 6GB.

If it's the other thing, idk who'd want to have them. I personally wouldn't bother with downloading a potentially infected image of an OS claiming to have marvelous programs installed. Nevertheless there are choices:

- seedbox
- google drive
- one drive
- [...]

You keep your PC online 2-3 days and should upload.

(Jan 28, 2024, 14:25 pm)dickhead Wrote: put it on github and stop worrying about bandwidth Rolleyes

Mate please do so, I'm so looking forward to you hosting gigabytes of data on Github, as much as on any other public Git

Dodgy
(Feb 03, 2024, 08:20 am)lustrous Wrote: What do you plan to upload?

I plan to upload my own respins of Linux Mint that I use myself as backups.

I heavily rely on them when I rewipe my hard drive so that I don't have to download the programs again; I just install the new image and they show up.

I include new up-to-date programs of Wine, VirtualBox, Libreoffice, Vidcutter, and Handbrake.

Why do I do this? Why does RodneyYouPlonker upload movies? Why does stts2 include his expert political opinions? Why does The Pirate Bay continue to exist? Because I simply wanted to.

EDIT: You know, fuck it, I'm scrapping the idea. As maskaw pointed out, it's probably me who relies on my own respins in this world, so it'll be like me offering my own vomit because I eat stuff made by master chefs. I thought I'd offer cool and original stuff, but if it's gigabytes, Github might question it and I might have to answer for shit. The idea's going to hell.

My offer came from that most people don't really bother to make respins so I thought I'd do it for originality.
(Feb 03, 2024, 20:40 pm)RobertX Wrote:
(Feb 03, 2024, 08:20 am)lustrous Wrote: What do you plan to upload?

I plan to upload my own respins of Linux Mint that I use myself as backups.
I heavily rely on them when I rewipe my hard drive so that I don't have to download the programs again; I just install the new image and they show up.
I include new up-to-date programs of Wine, VirtualBox, Libreoffice, Vidcutter, and Handbrake.
Why do I do this? Why does RodneyYouPlonker upload movies? Why does stts2 include his expert political opinions? Why does The Pirate Bay continue to exist? Because I simply wanted to.
EDIT: You know, fuck it, I'm scrapping the idea. As maskaw pointed out, it's probably me who relies on my own respins in this world, so it'll be like me offering my own vomit because I eat stuff made by master chefs. I thought I'd offer cool and original stuff, but if it's gigabytes, Github might question it and I might have to answer for shit. The idea's going to hell.
My offer came from that most people don't really bother to make respins so I thought I'd do it for originality.

To address the issue at hand, resolving the problem lies in replacing Mint with Debian—there, I said it. Eye roll.
A Few Things:

1. This is not the gist of the conversation.
2. No, I will not switch to Debian because... well, I mean, why? I've already adapted to Mint, and have been using it for years; I never had to switch to anything else.

The current issue posed on this thread is whether I should/can upload my versions of Linux Mint as an all-in-one template so others can benefit by either using the combos as a way to not make life hard for them, effectively providing a template at which they can use such that they don't have to download all that shit every time they need to wipe their hard drives. That's all there is to it.

That's the current issue in a nutshell.

Maybe offering images of OSs with pre-packed generic software, like wine, utils, etc, wouldn't go astray.

The idea is similar to how Docker images work. One starts from a base image, adds software to it, and builds other images. In fact, it could be you'll have more success with it in https://hub.docker.com. There's already one of Linux Mint it would seem: https://hub.docker.com/r/dockerscripts/linuxmint you could start adding to it.

What software are you using for imaging?

lustrous Wrote:To address the issue at hand, resolving the problem lies in replacing Mint with Debian—there, I said it. Eye roll.

Apart from the off-topic nature of this reply, you have a point... Mint is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on Debian.  Given you're looking forward to working with the source, I recommend you switch straight to http://kernel.org, since Debian is directly based on it  Shy
(Feb 06, 2024, 17:46 pm)maskaw Wrote:

Maybe offering images of OSs with pre-packed generic software, like wine, utils, etc, wouldn't go astray.

The idea is similar to how Docker images work. One starts from a base image, adds software to it, and builds other images. In fact, it could be you'll have more success with it in https://hub.docker.com. There's already one of Linux Mint it would seem: https://hub.docker.com/r/dockerscripts/linuxmint you could start adding to it.

lustrous Wrote:To address the issue at hand, resolving the problem lies in replacing Mint with Debian—there, I said it. Eye roll.

Apart from the off-topic nature of this reply, you have a point... Mint is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on Debian.  Given you're looking forward to working with the source, I recommend you switch straight to http://kernel.org, since Debian is directly based on it  Shy

Maybe... Maybe...
(Feb 06, 2024, 17:46 pm)maskaw Wrote: Maybe offering images of OSs with pre-packed generic software, like wine, utils, etc, wouldn't go astray.

I already use Cubic for all my customising needs (https://github.com/PJ-Singh-001/Cubic). Cubic does everything, and makes images as well. The operative word should be "distro-making."

Here are the steps as I understand it:

1. Make a directory for customisation, along with an image to refer to for installing/deleting software.
2. Using a shell and an anaesthetised form of said image, add/remove software, make/delete directories, and running programs as long as it is confined within the command line (e.g. vim, wget).
3. Decide which software used in the LiveDVD to exclude when being transformed into the installed form.
4. Make an image of the new distribution using different types of compression.
5. Test out the Live system and see if you're satisfied; if not, just go back to the beginning and correct the changes you wish to correct.

Maybe not the best in your view, but I have used it for years and it almost hasn't failed me. It works on Ubuntu-based systems, and, according to the author, some Debian-based systems are also supported, albeit experimental.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite GNU/Linux OS RobertX 16 31,730 Jan 26, 2024, 16:59 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Is Linux Mint dropping the Ubuntu code base? RobertX 4 8,993 Mar 06, 2022, 12:17 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Favourite Lesser-Known GNU/Linux Distribution RobertX 19 47,568 Dec 04, 2021, 14:23 pm
Last Post: am a giant
  GNU/Linux Switchers: Have you left your pirated software behind? RobertX 0 11,474 Jan 19, 2021, 04:16 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Astute Graphics CS6 License Key Sharing Thread somethingcalledapogue 1 11,463 Oct 28, 2019, 22:52 pm
Last Post: waregim