Movie Format For full screen ?
Hi to one and all !, new to Suprbay and what a site it is Smile , usually use as a guest but now a member. I don't know if i've posted this thread in the right section , but if  not , apologies before hand. I've d/l loads of films over the years and , although the quality has been generally on the good side, I can't seem to get the correct format I require. I have a new 55 4k panasonic tv (Excellent by the way !) and some of the big file movies I seem to d/l  are full screen (yipee ! ) but most of them are letterboxed.  I understand the facts that the cinema screens are big so 16:9 is the obvious aspect ratio but this is where I fail in d/l's. What do I need to look for, ie x265, hdr10+, 7.1, uhd, 4k etc etc when I search for a movie and require it full screen to use my tv to its optimum ?, I know I can zoom in , fit only etc on the tv aspect but doesn't look right... how do I get the full screen aspect by default when searching... what's the secret ?. Hope all this sounds ok and not double dutch ..... Thanks to all who read this and hopefully some have the info I am looking for..... Thanks again. Huh
There's been a lot of talk regarding this from years ago.  The correct way that it should be presented on a TV is that it's supposed to be cropped correctly so that the actual file you're viewing doesn't have any black bars on it but the TV will automatically put black bars there so it fills out the screen.

As long as you download a correctly cropped copy then there's no problems.  The TV does all the work so you don't have to.  Anybody that tells you that you should be watching copies that have black bars on them is completely wrong and has no idea what they are doing.  Never take any advice from people who debate about whether there should be black bars on the rip because these people have never actually ripped any themselves and have no experience in the subject.

It's simple really if they haven't cropped the bars away from the file then don't bother downloading it and yes people have done this in the past and have wasted a lot of people's time when they have downloaded them they should have cropped them but maybe they either didn't have any skills to remove the black bars or maybe the ripper was just lazy and couldn't be bothered either way just avoid these kind of uploaders and don't waste your time on their copies otherwise you will regret it.
Could you provide an examples of movies / torrents which are full-screen and those which are letterboxed.
I suppose your TV is 16:9 (aspect ratio) and hence a wider format movies results in black bars above and below.

For what it's worth have a look at this thread.

[edited out]

If that doesn't work, you will need a new even wider TV or make your room pitch dark and move closer to the TV :-p
(Sep 15, 2023, 08:05 am)kopnut Wrote: .... What do I need to look for, ie x265, hdr10+, 7.1, uhd, 4k etc etc when I search for a movie and require it full screen to use my tv to its optimum ?,

After some digging around, i found what i think may be an answer and i hope am right.

Search movie name + open matte (should get you full screen with no loss of content on the sides)
else search movie name + imax

If neither is available you'll have to settle for given aspect ratio.

Using Projectors with some special lens supposedly gets you full screen, but it is beyond my understanding.
You can look into it, if/when you plan to change your TV.

PS: I mostly watch 720p or lesser. So, don't ask me any in-depth questions Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Full Movie Thread. zeberzee 9 29,669 Mar 13, 2016, 09:34 am
Last Post: connor17
  Movie Sources & Movie Formats Suprbay 0 44,321 Oct 23, 2013, 07:49 am
Last Post: Suprbay