Most Annoying thing in your OS
What the title says. The one thing that out of all the others bothers you the most.

For me on a Windows OS it's when developers think it's a great idea to put application files in the Documents folder, then after multiple program installs it gets cluttered with folders you can't move, rename, or delete because the programs depend on it not changing to work  Dodgy . And there's others who are bothered by this too.
(Apr 22, 2015, 05:43 am)SS_Link Wrote: What the title says. The one thing that out of all the others bothers you the most.

For me on a Windows OS it's when developers think it's a great idea to put application files in the Documents folder, then after multiple program installs it gets cluttered with folders you can't move, rename, or delete because the programs depend on it not changing to work  Dodgy . And there's others who are bothered by this too.

But I'm able to delete most of the folders in Documents folder. Anyways the thing that annoys me most in my win 7 is when you are cleaning up you C: drive from leftover folders of uninstalled apps and when you can't delete some files. It gives you an error message that "Access Denied" and says "You don't have administrator privileges" I mean what the hell. 
It is my PC, my OS and you're telling me I'm not the administrator. I always find a way to delete them later but still. When I login as administrator, the OS should recognize me as administrator. 
It 's so annoying.  Tongue Angry
(Apr 22, 2015, 07:21 am)ss4micky Wrote:
(Apr 22, 2015, 05:43 am)SS_Link Wrote: What the title says. The one thing that out of all the others bothers you the most.

But I'm able to delete most of the folders in Documents folder. Anyways the thing that annoys me most in my win 7 is when you are cleaning up you C: drive from leftover folders of uninstalled apps and when you can't delete some files. It gives you an error message that "Access Denied" and says "You don't have administrator privileges" I mean what the hell. 
It is my PC, my OS and you're telling me I'm not the administrator. I always find a way to delete them later but still. When I login as administrator, the OS should recognize me as administrator. 

The most common reason for that is even though you have 'Administrator' rights, you dont have the proper ACL rights which falls under the 'Trusted Installer'  ILEVEL (ie., Integrity Level) - only the built-in Administrator account and System account has that level of 'Trust'. Learn more about Integrity Levels.
One work around is to Take Ownership of the file/folder and then set the proper rights. I tend to use a small 3rd party program called 'Unlocker', which works nicely, as doing things manually takes time, but just be careful how you use the program. Learn it first. Another work around is to set the Administrators group as the Default Owner on your system for any created files/folders.
Just curious, why do you run things under an Admin account anyways? That's like 50% of your system security.
Admin rights accounts should only be run for system work - I cant tell you how many security articles, books, learning courses and whatnot say the same - it's also been Microsoft's long-standing position ever since NT4.
(Apr 22, 2015, 10:17 am)Carjacker Wrote:

The most common reason for that is even though you have 'Administrator' rights, you dont have the proper ACL rights which falls under the 'Trusted Installer'  ILEVEL (ie., Integrity Level) - only the built-in Administrator account and System account has that level of 'Trust'. Learn more about Integrity Levels.
One work around is to Take Ownership of the file/folder and then set the proper rights. I tend to use a small 3rd party program called 'Unlocker', which works nicely, as doing things manually takes time, but just be careful how you use the program. Learn it first. Another work around is to set the Administrators group as the Default Owner on your system for any created files/folders.
Just curious, why do you run things under an Admin account anyways? That's like 50% of your system security.
Admin rights accounts should only be run for system work - I cant tell you how many security articles, books, learning courses and whatnot say the same - it's also been Microsoft's long-standing position ever since NT4.

Thanks but why shouldn't i run administrator account on my own pc. I mean i use linux mint but running as root always solves my problem. I know about changing permissions i'm just saying that all this process is annoying. I never said i don't know how to deal with it, no offence.
(Apr 22, 2015, 15:02 pm)ss4micky Wrote:
(Apr 22, 2015, 10:17 am)Carjacker Wrote:

Thanks but why shouldn't i run administrator account on my own pc. I mean i use linux mint but running as root always solves my problem. I know about changing permissions i'm just saying that all this process is annoying. I never said i don't know how to deal with it, no offence.

Let me kinda break this down sentence by sentence, if I may.

1.)Thanks but why shouldn't i run administrator account on my own pc.? (sic)

Answer: I could go all out and quote and copy/paste multitudes of information, but why bother?  Do this, take the part of your sentence here :  'why shouldn't i run administrator account' and paste it into Google and see what pops up.  I guarantee that if you're somewhat intelligent - above the 70 IQ range, which denotes a 'functional' person - you will, at the least, consider changing your habit of running your day-to-day activities under an Admin account.

2.I mean i use linux mint but running as root always solves my problem.

Answer: You started off your post talking about your issues on Windows 7, now you switch into a Linux Mint comparison -BUT, since you say that, let me say that, without knowing what 'problems' you have that you can fix by running as root, it is just as dangerous for you to run as root on Linux to 'fix problems' as it is to run as an Admin account on Windows.
 There is a great reason that by default Linux does not let you run as root or as an Admin account - by default, you are given a Standard User account, with possible SU privileges - for security, both for you and for your system stability. This is why Linux provides the SU context for running system changes - root is usually only to be used for major maintenance or system configurations, ie., Kernel upgrades, as an example.
I'd bet that without a doubt, you've put more holes into your system than a wheel of Swiss cheese has, by running as root to 'fix problems'.

3.)I know about changing permissions I'm just saying that all this process is annoying.

Answer: Knowing how to change permissions and knowing the effects of the changes to permissions - or even knowing what permissions to use - is truly different things altogether. I don't know you, of course, but Id say that based on your statement, you are limited in your functional knowledge into system security, stability configuration and possibly even Internet security (ie., how to be safe on the Internet, so to speak), among other things.

4.) I never said i don't know how to deal with it, no offence.

Answer: and nowhere before did I say that you did'nt - but now I do say it. No offense, of course.
Oh man. You are just... Aghh. I'm sorry for everything okay. I'm sorry that i even posted here. It won't happen again. You win okay. Just leave it alone.
Bad advice (when no advice was even sought) and meta-arguments over quality of advice deleted.

The topic is "what annoys you about your OS" not "how can I fix x".  

If you want to foist unsolicited advice upon anyone who replies on-topic, PM them (and hope they don't report you for harassment).
Hate that i can't take full ownership/contol of 8/8.1/10 TP as to how my updates have their permissions. Total bummer.
Windows 7, Server 2008r2, Domains, Forest, Active directory, Group policy, ECT, ECT, ECT...Its just too much!! Windows get over yourself.. lol
Most Annoying thing in Windows 7 OS
I cannot delete folders and files using Windows Delete or Unlocker or BC Wipe.
I get messages like Long Folder or File Names, No Files or Folder found, Folders or Files is Damaged or Corrupted, run checkdisk, access is denied, there has been a sharing violation, it is being used by another person or program, write-protected, the file is currently in use when it is actually not in use. etc etc.
Does anybody has any ideas how to force delete the folders or files?
Can the directory entries be force removed?
Windows actually does not erase the content of these files - it only deletes references to these files but the content of
all deleted files remains on the disk. Can the directory area of the hard disk be edited to remove these references?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uTorrent bugs let websites control your computer and steal your downloads LDavenport 7 20,902 Mar 11, 2018, 16:34 pm
Last Post: asterastrip
  Annoying 'Free Windows 10 Upgrade App' RobertX 30 57,216 Jun 06, 2015, 09:51 am
Last Post: asterastrip